What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
But PR has stated we follow their(News) every whim, and they did own half of us for quite a while, suggests that not only News are pr*cks but as we have noted here over the years our CEOs have hardly been world beaters.How many times has PR bagged Greenberg and Gallop, as did most of us.Some of us also bagged Smith, although according to a few he was perfect LOL.

7 year deal of which 2 is part of current one ending 2022.If you prefer financial uncertainty in these troubled and uncertain times over revenue certainty, then you prefer NRL staff and players to also feel fearful of their future.I would rather get long term money from the devil, than live in hope from a nice person years down the line.

I'm still trying to figure out what direction News wants us to go.All they want is subscriptions for Fox, and people buying their papers(that's why they throw sh*t).News are thugs at times, but we have had CEOs that have hardly been great performers ,else we'd have a big nestegg and a 20 team NRL comp.The code is marking time.

Ah the old "certainty of misery is better than the misery of uncertainty" argument!
Depends on the $ value and what we've given up in the deal before we can decide if it is a good outcome or not. Not to mention what our main competitor negotiates as a bar to meet.
On past experience, and with serious doubts about Vlandys, I am leaning a certain way.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
He's sold the 8 games streaming to Fox, mark my words. There will be capacity for FTA to show its own content on a streaming channel, 3 games a week. Fox needs all 8 games for it to survive with KAYO being its future. No way they sign a 7 year deal without that being a part of it. Only hope is he got some coin for them given Telstra paid $100mill and were cut out of negotiations, time will tell.

Pretty much plus they have Binge also. Access to the NRL database. With that information they can cater to your likes.

tri_colours

Juniors
He's sold the 8 games streaming to Fox, mark my words. There will be capacity for FTA to show its own content on a streaming channel, 3 games a week. Fox needs all 8 games for it to survive with KAYO being its future. No way they sign a 7 year deal without that being a part of it. Only hope is he got some coin for them given Telstra paid $100mill and were cut out of negotiations, time will tell.

NRL blocks Telstra from streaming in bid to secure extension with Nine
Zoe Samios and Michael Chammas
June 3, 2020

The NRL will block Telstra from streaming rugby league matches from 2023 as the governing body attempts to strike a five-year broadcast extension with Nine Entertainment Co.

The decision has upset Telstra, the naming-rights partner until 2022, but the code argues protecting the streaming rights will mark up its value when it returns to the negotiating table with Nine as early as next month.

Foxtel, in which Telstra has a 35 per cent stake, currently sells the streaming rights to the telco provider as part of a five-year $100 million deal. But under the NRL's extended Foxtel contract, secured last week, the pay-TV operator is prohibited from on-selling in the 2023-2027 cycle.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...cure-extension-with-nine-20200602-p54ysm.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
June 3, 2020

The NRL will block Telstra from streaming rugby league matches from 2023 as the governing body attempts to strike a five-year broadcast extension with Nine Entertainment Co.

The decision has upset Telstra, the naming-rights partner until 2022, but the code argues protecting the streaming rights will mark up its value when it returns to the negotiating table with Nine as early as next month.

Foxtel, in which Telstra has a 35 per cent stake, currently sells the streaming rights to the telco provider as part of a five-year $100 million deal. But under the NRL's extended Foxtel contract, secured last week, the pay-TV operator is prohibited from on-selling in the 2023-2027 cycle.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...cure-extension-with-nine-20200602-p54ysm.html

like I said they will offer nine the three fta games only.

June 3, 2020

Does this mean Foxtel has the streaming rights to all 8 games until 2027, guaranteeing all regular season games will be on Kayo?

That's a pretty sweet deal for Foxtel and will help drive up their subscriber base.

If the NRL has any insight it will tell Foxtel to get busy putting Kayo on as many TVs, including their main competitor Fetch, so people all over the country can access it.

taipan

Referee
Ah the old "certainty of misery is better than the misery of uncertainty" argument!
Depends on the $ value and what we've given up in the deal before we can decide if it is a good outcome or not. Not to mention what our main competitor negotiates as a bar to meet.
On past experience, and with serious doubts about Vlandys, I am leaning a certain way.

In extraordinary times like these if any organisation can rustle up revenue certainty which puts the code in a position to survive and expand ,if that's your idea of "misery" it shows you are more out of touch with the real world existing today than ever.
Being negative or bitter monotonously just because it's part of ones makeup is "misery".

Eyes on TV sets for major sports are dropping, not only here but in the USA also.

All deals depend on the $ value, that's hardly a scoop..If it was a sh*t deal,
they would have canned the thought of B2 ,canned the NRLW. and had far greater cuts (which are bad enough) than the ones set for now.Also clubs would not be able to plan for the future now from 2023.
You make hay whilst the suns shines, and ATM there isn't much monetary sun about.

Our main competitor took a cut in their current deal ,when at one stage you expressed doubts they would need to ,to any degree.They not only did take broadcast cuts, but H/O cuts and eat into the $600m Loan from the NAB and ANZ.You have failed"miserably" to acknowledge these facts, that a code with all their financial resources needed to do this.They stuffed up the NZ exercise,China achieved little and is a dead Peking Duck now.

Again comparing TV revenues for a sport that has 4 qtrs ,4 opportunities for ads ,to one with 2 halves and 1 less game is not apples with apples.
Anycase with SOO the difference value wise is minimal.

Learn the first law of competitive ruthlessness, tell your competitors nothing ATT.They will find out only when you publish your annual report.

As to Vlad your great assessments are, "he wears ill fitting suits", he was very mean to the AFL by making fun of them just wow and he wouldn't let you know the $ value of the Tv deal.Oh and he looks shifty.
Apparently NRLCEOs must look and dress like 007, drive flipping Aston Martins or ride Polo Ponies and suck up to their competitors and have everything organised in the first 6 months .

Completely ignoring what he has done in getting the code up and running when everyone said it wouldn't happen, established a far greater relationship with the RLPA than any before him, ditto the clubs and brought some financial certainty to the game, and retained business partnerships with broadcasters(whether we like them or not) not a deep divide.

People within the AFL have applauded him for the protocols he helped set in place to get the comp up as planned ,in contrast to your immature descriptive dislike for the guy.He'll be judged at the end of his tenure, in contrast to your judgement in the early days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Eyes on the game are not reducing, just different mediums being watched, but we’ve locked ourselves away fir seven years without opportunity to test those new mediums. It will all be in the detail, what have we given them and for how much. We’ll judge if it’s a good idea or not then.

Last edited:
Eyes on the game are not reducing, just different mediums being watched, but we’ve locked ourselves away fir seven years without opportunity to test those new mediums. It will all be in the detail, what have we given them and for how much. We’ll judge if it’s a good idea or not then.
You've already judged
Just read your anti PVL or Tv deal rants .

Perth Red

Post Whore
You've already judged
Just read your anti PVL or Tv deal rants .

I've made an educated guess on the TV deals struck, only time will tell if I am right or very wrong. Here's what I think may have happened with Foxtel, but I concede I may be very wrong.
7 year deal at less, or at best similar, to the previous $155mill a year
5 year extension includes Saturday night reducing substantially the value of the next FTA deal
Does not include any extra $'s for expansion
includes streaming rights to all 8 games
Includes the sht Friday 6pm game
Does not include any digital media beyond game streaming
Unsure about simucast and if it is included in 5 year extension or would need to be negotiated with the next FTA partner. If included this will drive down the next FTA deal even further
Unsure if it will include non exclusive Origin and finals. If included will also drive down FTA deal

My anti PVL stance comes from the stupid things he says and his unprofessional behaviour. Looking like a slob doesn't endear him to me much either.

Last edited:
I've made an educated guess on the TV deals struck, only time will tell if I am right or very wrong. Here's what I think may have happened with Foxtel, but I concede I may be very wrong.
7 year deal at less, or at best similar, to the previous $155mill a year
5 year extension includes Saturday night reducing substantially the value of the next FTA deal
Does not include any extra $'s for expansion
includes streaming rights to all 8 games
Includes the sht Friday 6pm game
Does not include any digital media beyond game streaming
Unsure about simucast and if it is included in 5 year extension or would need to be negotiated with the next FTA partner. If included this will drive down the next FTA deal even further
Unsure if it will include non exclusive Origin and finals. If included will also drive down FTA deal

My anti PVL stance comes from the stupid things he says and his unprofessional behaviour. Looking like a slob doesn't endear him to me much either.
You hate PVL's guts because he won't put a team in Perth. That's all there is to it. Just like you hate my guts because I believe Brisbane should have 3 teams by 2035 and 4 teams by 2050, as the population will be 4.5M and it's the second largest RL city in the world with a history of playing the game dating back to 1909.

You live in this fantaay world where you think the game needs teams in Adelaide and Perth within the next 10 years! WTF?

Thank God we've got PVL in charge and not some nut like John Ribot.

taipan

Referee

Mate I've seen a comment from CNN on Monday via you tube, as to that fact, just after the NBA finals.The money ATM is FTA and Cable TV yet their numbers are dropping.The other mediums ATM are nowhere near the money.
You described it as locked away is union's money locked away )(oh wait,they don't have money or a safe),I describe it as 7 years certainty in extremely bad times, which you are just about the only bloke here who fails to grasp just how bad it is.Not only the financial losses, but the emotional affect it is having on your and elderly people.
Just spent a long weekend at a country town, that had 11 suicides in the space of a fortnight thereabouts.

In fact you judge the now as exemplified by your early criticism of NRL CEO s and chairmen clearly shows.Your'e a 50cents each way guy, which anyone can be .

If you will judge it then at the end, which is the way to do it, then why FFS are you bagging decisions or people now as you continually and habitually do.How can anyone take you seriously ?

Mate I've seen a comment from CNN on Monday via you tube, as to that fact, just after the NBA finals.The money ATM is FTA and Cable TV yet their numbers are dropping.The other mediums ATM are nowhere near the money.
You described it as locked away is union's money locked away )(oh wait,they don't have money or a safe),I describe it as 7 years certainty in extremely bad times, which you are just about the only bloke here who fails to grasp just how bad it is.Not only the financial losses, but the emotional affect it is having on your and elderly people.
Just spent a long weekend at a country town, that had 11 suicides in the space of a fortnight thereabouts.

In fact you judge the now as exemplified by your early criticism of NRL CEO s and chairmen clearly shows.Your'e a 50cents each way guy, which anyone can be .

If you will judge it then at the end, which is the way to do it, then why FFS are you bagging decisions or people now as you continually and habitually do.How can anyone take you seriously ?
Well said once again .sadly it just doesn't sink in .
Reality & what PR think is reality are worlds apart..
A deal was done ..it had to be due to the Covid uncertainty ..
He carries on like nothing was wrong . No problems & that PVL just did a bad deal because ???
We were not doing a deal from a position of strength .
There were no mythical other media companies shut out of negotiations..there were 2..the 2 we already had contracts with.
That was it .
For the current circumstances it seems very adequate..
How can you throw expansion into negotiations when if things got worse the whole comp could go under .
How does PR not get this .
It was a survival deal.
When things get better ..if IF ( look at the UK & parts of Europe AGAIN .
Look at the USA .) then expansion can be a major issue in negotiations .

Seriously PR do you live in a bubble where everything is wonderful .
No problems

taipan

Referee
When Vlad decides to pull the plug,I'll judge him, but now anyone who bags him for his short tenure, that has saved the code and given fans some relief as a result and some long term financial certainty,IMO is living on another planet.

I've just read on the web, there are 154 747 airliners flying the world yesterday ,and only 4 were passenger jets,The CEO of Qatar Airlines stated the airlines of the world's position will be getting worse with collapses ,and huge cutbacks.
Plus our unemployment rate is going to remain higher for quite some time.We are hundreds of billions in debt now, but the PR view is carry on regardless.he appears to have little understanding of what is happening in Eastern Australia.More so when you also throw in the bushfire effects of Dec/January.

PVL got the ball rolling and set an example that was mimicked by every other sports league around the world. None of them did it better than the NRL.

He saved Racing NSW from a similar catastrophe.

That is proof he is a visionary.

If he doesn't want to expand into Adelaide and Perth then it probably means both cities are unable to run a successful NRL club. PR doesn't want to hear it because he's spent 15 years death riding heartland clubs and telling us the game needs fumbleball wastelands. He doesn't like being wrong.

Perth Red

Post Whore

your comparing the viewing audience of league to union??
It’s certainty, but certainty of what?? I learnt early in my business career never negotiate from a position of weakness.

finals nrl viewing is up, good job we’re not a fcking airline eh?

taipan

Referee
It’s certainty, but certainty of what?? I learnt early in my business career never negotiate from a position of weakness.

No I'm simply stating we have a deal for 7 years from a major media organisation.Union has no major deal in this country,so they cannot make any long term plans.

Certainty of income for a certain period in uncertain times. Yeah breaking bad LOL.

Did you learn in your business career(and I've been there) that a major virus such as we have now would impact the financial situation of the entire world.That a society like Australia would run into huge debt, unseen of or unheard of before.Leaving the impact of the Great Depression in its wake, from a health/finance perspective.
Do you understand or know the number of businesses that have gone out of business, others on a knife'e edge.Do you understand major Banks and other institutions have chopped dividends drastically, retrenched staff, closed even more branches.Do you bother to visit Sydney shopping malls or suburban areas, where the number of empty shops is all encompassing?
Did you read there is expected to be a huge drop in housing construction next year? A big population drops result of this pandemic?
As to your childish "good we're not a f..ing airline"comment,You have any idea how many people are impacted in this country,because the airlines are screwed, try staff employed at terminals, air crew, maintenance,food suppliers, tourism one of our major export earners?
Wouldn't be able to travel to WA for a match against the Perth Reds would we?
What you learnt in your business career was not based on conditions such as exist ,full stop.

If you believe you can negotiate from a position of strength under these terrible (and Europe is getting worse)conditions, you must have been brought up in a Communist "paradise" hello Kim Jon Un.
Of course I forgot,Hull is the epicentre of Capitalism.

We have a product,TV needs that product.We need revenue,where can we get it? From TV broadcasters ATM.Tell me who is operating from a position of strength ,when our major competitor has taken cuts from broadcasters?
How much money has the NRL left in the bank post COVID now? SFA,that's strength?

TV viewing up in finals ,thank the Sydney clubs for that.

tri_colours

Juniors

Viewing may be up . But I think Advertisers were the big worry here. Most of the tv stations were barely hanging on.What would be the point in sending them broke? And if we did who would pay the NRL/
AFL hundreds of millions each year?

taipan

Referee
Viewing may be up . But I think Advertisers were the big worry here. Most of the tv stations were barely hanging on.What would be the point in sending them broke? And if we did who would pay the NRL/
AFL hundreds of millions each year?

He forgets about the ch10 disaster of the end of last Century, and 9 taking over.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kayo are only able to stream five games a round from 2023, with the other three on 9Now/Stan. If all 8 are on Kayo then the value for 9Now diminishes significantly.