What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The NRL 2021 Season Issue

shaggs

Coach
I've just heard some news on 'the bush grapevine" - Moroko is still playing for the Wee Waa Wolves second grade team - BRING BACK MOROKO - apparently he's lost weight, and can now play hooker...
Can you sign him as a Johnson cover till round 10?

Version IV

Juniors
Roosters been linked to Benji & Pearce lol, looks like Flanno gone for sure.

Daley saying they aim to win each season.
Be interesting to see if Bomber moves anyone on or believes squad we have can win us title in 2021

ghoti

Bench
Roosters been linked to Benji & Pearce lol, looks like Flanno gone for sure.

Daley saying they aim to win each season.
Be interesting to see if Bomber moves anyone on or believes squad we have can win us title in 2021

Keep in mind this is the beginning of the off-season bullshit spin cycle where managers, players, families and club nuts start agitating via dumbass journos who believe everything they hear.. there'll be a million out and out flasehoods by grand final day

Version IV

Juniors
What we don't need is Chad it's clear he has gone backwards he cannot lead us.
Moylan is washed up

The club's needs to get halves sorted, there is a few on market as long as he is good wheeler dealer we should be ok

carinashark

First Grade
Best part of the year,off-season bullshit spin cycle. Already Salior has been arrested and GF has not been played. There is all the Burgess stuff still coming out. Ongoing Siebold abuse issue.

Quigs

Immortal
Best part of the year,off-season bullshit spin cycle. Already Salior has been arrested and GF has not been played. There is all the Burgess stuff still coming out. Ongoing Siebold abuse issue.

And we Sharks got through the Mad Monday time span without our bestie Buzz dumping a bucket of shit on one of our clan. His (the Buzz) form has slipped in the late part of the season so can we offload him to some other club.

R-15-3

Bench
This is the weakest lot of half’s in the nrl I think iv seen in my time.
90% of the clubs would be happy to lose who they have and swap with something else.
I put it down to the 10meters it’s been getting shorter and not policed partly due to every man and his dog complaining about so many penalties the past few years. I’d love to see them get a genuine 10 and police it but give the defence more time in the ruck. Straight up more ball playing less to do with momentum

Quigs

Immortal
It has been happening for decades. They have continually complicated a simple contact sport with rule change after rule change all for the benefit of speeding up the game for the TV coverage.

It won't belong now before we see the refs throwing hankies down on the field like they do in the gridiron.

ghoti

Bench
I tend to think it's not so much the quality of half, but the expectation clubs have for their halves..everyone wants a game breaker, everyone plays to a similar mould, there's been a bit of a lack of innovation from the bottom clubs which means they keep cycling through halves looking for a magic bullet, rather than developing their squad and style.

I'm such a huge fan of Canberra over the last 3-5 seasons for that reason, being able to get results from halves like Sezer, Wighton (before he really 'got' his 5/8 game last year) and now G Williams whose developed a really unusual style comes out of being clever with half usage imo.

Game's evolving again, the ball playing lock is back from the dead against all odds, fullbacks has to be 5/8's for five or ten years and I think we're seeing a bit of a flexibility in that now that the block plays and tip ons are being too easily defended.

I agree there are a lack of Thurston/Cronk quality 7's, but there's also a lack of Smith quality hookers, Tedesco quality fullbacks, etc... The dud clubs gotta think outside the box like Canberra did to get up in the top 4

I've just heard some news on 'the bush grapevine" - Moroko is still playing for the Wee Waa Wolves second grade team - BRING BACK MOROKO - apparently he's lost weight, and can now play hooker...

images

R-15-3

Bench
I tend to think it's not so much the quality of half, but the expectation clubs have for their halves..everyone wants a game breaker, everyone plays to a similar mould, there's been a bit of a lack of innovation from the bottom clubs which means they keep cycling through halves looking for a magic bullet, rather than developing their squad and style.

I'm such a huge fan of Canberra over the last 3-5 seasons for that reason, being able to get results from halves like Sezer, Wighton (before he really 'got' his 5/8 game last year) and now G Williams whose developed a really unusual style comes out of being clever with half usage imo.

Game's evolving again, the ball playing lock is back from the dead against all odds, fullbacks has to be 5/8's for five or ten years and I think we're seeing a bit of a flexibility in that now that the block plays and tip ons are being too easily defended.

I agree there are a lack of Thurston/Cronk quality 7's, but there's also a lack of Smith quality hookers, Tedesco quality fullbacks, etc... The dud clubs gotta think outside the box like Canberra did to get up in the top 4
I can see what your saying and agree with the unreal expectations on a half but there is just so many that can’t do the basics right they don’t need to be a game breakers just solid in the basics of football on a consistent basis. So many can’t pass both ways or kick a footy more than 35+ meters. Half’s have improved in general on their defence tho the past decade but apart from that the bottom 15 half’s now are worse than over the past decade.

AJB1102

First Grade

Great post. Also a quick count puts the average age of a halfback in 2020 at 25 - 6 are 25 or younger and the older ones aren't the stand outs by any measure.

The best is a meticulous and methodical 22 year old in an outstanding young side.

The game is entering a new period where most the obvious GOATs are gone. Game managers who are left aren't respected because they're not Cronk/JT.

carinashark

First Grade
That’s why we must keep bringing on juniors. We seem to buy duds, ok they go for a bit then get injured. Return then get injured again it’s like buying a second hand car! Ok SJ. We need to train these juniors good then keep the best. SJ is a great player but I’m glad we have Tracy And Trindall. But we will probably f#$& that up as well.

MOONEY BACK TO FIX CAP MESS
The key ingredient behind Cronulla’s 2016 premiership success and Newcastle’s re-build is close to making a return to the Sharks.

Cronulla is in discussions about Darren Mooney returning to the club as its head of football. Mooney played a huge part in putting together Cronulla’s grand final winning team before being head-hunted to re-shape the Knights and help them get off the bottom of the premiership ladder.

The return of Mooney would be a significant coup for Cronulla given its salary cap woes since he left the club in the months before they went on to win the premiership. The club is still in a difficult salary cap position next year but Mooney’s appointment will ensure the mistakes are not replicated when they finally free up some cap space heading into 2022. The likes of Josh Dugan, Shaun Johnson, Matt Moylan and Aaron Woods are off-contract at the end of next season.

Mooney quit the Knights at the end of 2018 to spend more time with his family. He has been most recently working with Tennis NSW.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/b4bcfcbcf4dcb98bffe182de82200d80

the best signing we can achieve

shaggs

Coach
Mooney did a lot of good for us, and certainly helped put the knights on the right track.