What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

aqua_duck

Coach
As much as they’re all simpletons on NRL360, it was good to get some media against Pearce’s value just now, Particularly Ikin’s call.

Check it out, first 10 minutes dedicated.
What Ikin said is probably the best take I've heard about Pearce in a long, long time. Pearce isn't that controlling, thinking, calming player you expect from a $1 million dollar halfback and when you command that price tag you can't ask "where's my supporting cast?".
Pearce had 3 go to plays this year; telegraphed short ball to Fitzgibbon, aimless kick or pass to Ponga and hope for the best, pretty sure even Jack Cogger could execute those 3 plays with ease.

aqua_duck

Coach
That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out. Pearce is the support cast- our younger spine players should be looking at the 300 game veteran to help them out, not the other way around.
110%, I honestly think the games he played with Lino, Lino outplayed him but was the scapegoat for Pearce's piss poor performance

Zoidberg

First Grade
What Ikin said is probably the best take I've heard about Pearce in a long, long time. Pearce isn't that controlling, thinking, calming player you expect from a $1 million dollar halfback and when you command that price tag you can't ask "where's my supporting cast?".
Pearce had 3 go to plays this year; telegraphed short ball to Fitzgibbon, aimless kick or pass to Ponga and hope for the best, pretty sure even Jack Cogger could execute those 3 plays with ease.
Ikin also said Ponga should be doing more, which I agree with in some ways but not the organisation of the team. That is the job of halves.

ryana87

Juniors
I'm as anti-Pearce as anyone on here

But is fox league taking their agenda against him a bit too far. I've seen about 6 or 7 articles in 3 days with his face all over them

Knight76

Juniors
At this point if we re-sign pearce before june next year we are failing at salary cap management.

We have to see how he starts next year and honestly im happy not re-signing him at all.

Give him next year, but find his replacement now.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Ponga just needs consistency. Has the tendency to drift in and out of games too much.

That comes with experience. You've got to remember Kalyn is only 22 yet people keep comparing him to James Tedesco who is 27. While everyone treats Tedesco like a god now, did he start out as one? All I remember of his early years with the Tigers was how often he was out injured.

Same thing with Billy Slater, he was a very raw player in his early years but became more refined as time went on, constantly adding to his game. Like a fine wine, Billy just got better with age. Kalyn will be no different.

Burwood

Bench
That comes with experience. You've got to remember Kalyn is only 22 yet people keep comparing him to James Tedesco who is 27. While everyone treats Tedesco like a god now, did he start out as one? All I remember of his early years with the Tigers was how often he was out injured.

Same thing with Billy Slater, he was a very raw player in his early years but became more refined as time went on, constantly adding to his game. Like a fine wine, Billy just got better with age. Kalyn will be no different.

No argument from me. He doesn’t need to do anything differently than what he is doing now, he just needs to do it more consistently (which will come with more first grade experience as you pointed out).

Burwood

Bench

But is fox league taking their agenda against him a bit too far. I've seen about 6 or 7 articles in 3 days with his face all over them

I’ve noticed that recently Fox love to keep rehashing the same article with just a different headline and photo, and maybe an extra quote thrown in for good measure. There’s been 2-3 articles on Pearce based on Lara Pitt and Hooper’s comments on fox sports last night- easy way to get extra clicks without actually needing to have any new info I guess.

Spot On

Coach

No worse than when Johns brothers and others were pushing his barrow to come here.

3 years and 3 million dollars of our salary cap later and apparently the RL world is only just start to realize what a few of us in here have known for a decade.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Ikin also said Ponga should be doing more, which I agree with in some ways but not the organisation of the team. That is the job of halves.
I thought that was a bit harsh on Ponga to be fair, not sure what more a kid at fullback with 3 NRL seasons could do more of to help Pearce control the game.

I see it more the other way around - Pearce should be doing more to help Ponga's game by steering the ship and directing our attack.

aqua_duck

Coach
Ponga is falling into the trap of trying to be a a great ball runner and a great ball player as well, he needs to just concentrate on being a ball runner who can ball play and concentrate on getting the ball in positions where he can take on the opposition defenders one on one instead of trying to cover for the inadequacies of the halves

Yosh

Coach

Love it. I hope it really pushes on and we get rid of him asap.

Anyone else think we should get rid of Pearce asap even if we have to pay a chunk of his pay packet? If we pay 60% we can still afford Flanagan right?

Knight Vision

First Grade
Love it. I hope it really pushes on and we get rid of him asap.

Anyone else think we should get rid of Pearce asap even if we have to pay a chunk of his pay packet? If we pay 60% we can still afford Flanagan right?
we could do a lot worse than moving towards a successful future now rather than later. I hope he Pearces off.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I don’t know what happened with Pearce this season... In his first season with us, he was fantastic. He missed a whole lot of games but he still ended the year well in relation to Dally M points from memory.

Last year he had a 5 game stretch where he made me feel like we had Andrew Johns back in the team. He was outstanding during that period.

The first 2 or 3 games this year I thought that he played reasonably well. One aspect that I liked from him was that he consistently kicked the ball in the air and then his team mates smashed the player just as his feet touched the ground. The timing of the kick was often perfect.

After that period he definitely went off the boil. I’m intrigued as to why.

Yosh

Coach
Reckon we can get rid of Pearce next year and have:

6. Kyle Flanagan
7. Mutch Moses

This much better for less than what Pearce is on by himself.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I don’t know what happened with Pearce this season... In his first season with us, he was fantastic. He missed a whole lot of games but he still ended the year well in relation to Dally M points from memory.

Last year he had a 5 game stretch where he made me feel like we had Andrew Johns back in the team. He was outstanding during that period.

The first 2 or 3 games this year I thought that he played reasonably well. One aspect that I liked from him was that he consistently kicked the ball in the air and then his team mates smashed the player just as his feet touched the ground. The timing of the kick was often perfect.

After that period he definitely went off the boil. I’m intrigued as to why.
His good form seems fairly consistent until he made Origin in game 3 last year.

Latest posts