What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Drugs, sex, domestic violence: football's dark cover up

magpie_man

Juniors
At the reception Sam's friend and former teammate Luke Keary reportedly got into a confrontation with Gene Fairbanks, a onetime rugby union star and Phoebe's brother-in-law.

An argument had apparently started when someone from the rugby group at the party referred to league players as 'more betters', suggesting they speak with poor grammar.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hoebe-Hooke-split-started-shoosh-WEDDING.html

If that is true, it does heighten my respect for Luke Keary.
Otherwise an appalling article though.

YoHadrian

Juniors
34070924-8817597-Investigations_NRL_CEO_Andrew_Abdo_said_the_league_has_launched_-a-91_1602131611345.jpg

Good picture. I remember looking like that after about twenty something beers.

bileduct

Coach
This is just an absolute shitshow at this point.

What were are seeing here is two fairly well connected parties using the media to continue their animosity toward each other, and with the exception of dodgy club doctors all of this is pretty much a non-issue as far as Rugba Leeg is concerned.

Blue Bags, thanks for reposting these articles here because even though I only skimmed through most of them I sure as shit am glad I didn't contribute to ad revenue for these f**king media vultures.

blue bags

First Grade
Video: 'I live for both of us': The tragedy that changed young lawyer-to-the-stars Bryan Wrench's life forever and drives him more than money or fame - as he steps up to defend Sam Burgess against shocking domestic abuse allegations
Bryan Wrench, representing former South Sydney NRL captain Sam Burgess, leaves Moss Vale Local Court after telling a magistrate the AVO taken out on Burgess on behalf of his father-in-law Mitchell Hooke is based on...

Share this video:
Video: Bryan Wrench leaves court after representing Sam Burgess in 2019
News videos
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...aves-court-representing-Sam-Burgess-2019.html

blue bags

First Grade
'I live for both of us': The tragedy that changed young lawyer-to-the-stars Bryan Wrench's life forever and drives him more than money or fame - as he steps up to defend Sam Burgess against shocking domestic abuse allegations
  • Bryan Wrench has become one of Sydney's best known lawyers in recent years
  • The 32-year-old is currently representing embattled ex-NRL star Sam Burgess
  • Wrench previously looked after actor John Jarratt and accountant Anthony Bell
  • He told how a personal tragedy from his teenage years continues to drive him
By JOSH HANRAHAN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 16:50 AEDT, 15 October 2020 | UPDATED: 17:37 AEDT, 15 October 2020

Beneath the stern and well-dressed exterior of the young lawyer celebrities turn to in a crisis is a personal heartbreak that drives him.

Bryan Wrench, 32, has defended Wolf Creek actor John Jarratt against rape charges, celebrity accountant Anthony Bell on domestic violence accusations and last week launched a strong defence of ex-NRL champion Sam Burgess.

These are just three names on the ever growing list of prominent people for whom Mr Wrench has delivered impressive results.

But it is not fame, notoriety or money that drives him.

When the man who makes a living picking apart others in a courtroom reluctantly agreed to talk about himself for a change, he revealed how the tragic death of his mate spurs him on.

Mr Wrench was just two months out of school at the elite Sydney Boys High when his best mate Mitchell Seow died suddenly.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ampaign=1490&ito=1490&traffic_source=Connatix
When Mr Seow won a premier's award for his 99.6 score in the HSC a month later, Mr Wrench was asked by his mate's parents to not only accept the trophy - but keep it.

Mr Wrench successfully defended Wolf Creek actor John Jarratt against charges of historical rape in 2019

34180776-8822187-image-m-79_1602225482813.jpg

34180906-8822187-image-m-77_1602225470521.jpg

Mr Wrench (left) told Daily Mail Australia he is driven to work hard by the death of his best mate Mitchell Seow (right) in 2006, shortly after the pair had graduated at Sydney Boys High School

'I keep that with me and I was honoured to take that award he should have received,' he told Daily Mail Australia.

'I still carry that with me now, but it's not just about the trophy.

'He was quite an ambitious guy, we both were at the time, and you knew we both had futures and when he passed away so unexpectedly I sort of had to live the one future for both of us.

'That's what drives me quite a lot, just how precious life is and that opportunities don't come twice.'

That's what drives me quite a lot, just how precious life is
Bryan Wrench on the death of his mate Mitchell Seow
Born to a Vietnamese mother and English father, Wrench moved around NSW a bit when he was young before his family settled in Sydney.

An only child, he began at Hurstville Public School before passing the entrance exam into the selective Sydney Boys High School for Year 7.

A keen rower and member of the rugby union side, it was in the wake of Mr Seow's death that he began to focus entirely on his career.

And with his mate driving him on, it is little surprise he has had so much success so young.

'There's a lot of work that happens when the cameras aren't on you and that is sort of the reality of what I do,' Mr Wrench said.

'You can get the phone call at anytime. I've had to meet people at 4.30am and 8pm.

'If you really want to succeed, as they say: "Winners do what losers don't".

'You have to really put in the hours and that's why I've been lucky enough to do what I do today, but there's a lot of sacrifice - I've worked every Sunday for 10 years.'

The young lawyer said he has not had a Sunday off in 10 years and is ready for the phone to ring at anytime

Mr Wrench last week launched a strong defence of NRL legend and current client Sam Burgess (right) over allegations of violence against Mitchell Hooke (left), the father of ex-wife Phoebe (centre)

Bryan Wrench leaves court after representing Sam Burgess in 2019
Last weekend it was a Saturday when Mr Wrench was pictured leaving crisis talks at the apartment of Sam Burgess alongside the family's matriarch Julie, and Luke, the oldest of the four boys.

That meeting took place at Coogee, in Sydney's eastern suburbs, and just three days later he was in court at Moss Vale, an hour-and-a-half south of the city, defending his client.

Mr Wrench admits he is now a far different man to the teenager who first started in the offices of prominent Sydney lawyer Chris Murphy.

He began in Mr Murphy's office carrying coffees but has progressed to become the most prominent member of his legal stable.

'Words can't describe how much I owe him,' Mr Wrench said.

'The people I work with are just amazing and they allow me to do what I do everyday.

'They really nurtured me from when I was just a 15-year-old pimply faced kid carrying the coffees for people, it is indescribable the gratitude I have for that opportunity.
With the coffee boy long gone Mr Wrench is now the briefcase-carrying fully fledged lawyer, with a love for a double-breasted suit.

His somewhat old school fashion sense has seen him rated among Australia's most fashionable men, but when asked why he prefers the statement suits to the regular variety, the answer is simple: 'Why not?'

'When you go into the gladiatorial auditorium of law, you need a suit of armour and I think nothing sends a stronger message than a double-breasted suit walking into a court of law,' Mr Wrench said.

Since starting out he has represented Shannon Noll, Richard Pratt's mistress Shari-Lea Hitchcock, rugby league stars Shaun Kenny Dowall and Hazem El Masri, and even Sydney activist Danny Lim.

Most recently he famously saw charges dropped against the Cook performing family who were accused of shocking child sex offences at their Blue Mountains property.

They spent more than 200 days behind bars awaiting trial, before walking free.

In the aftermath, Mr Wrench called it 'probably the worst miscarriage of justice' that he had ever seen.

34180686-8822187-image-a-84_1602226139215.jpg

Among his most notable cass was the very public AVO hearing between celebrity accountant Anthony Bell (right) and his ex-wife Kelly Landry

Ms Landry (left), a former Getaway host, accused her ex-husband Mr Bell (right), of assaulting her during their marriage, but the application for an AVO was ultimately dismissed

Mr Wrench has also represented Australian Idol runner-up Shannon Noll (pictured), Richard Pratt's mistress Shari-Lea Hitchcock, rugby league stars Shaun Kenny Dowall and Hazem El Masri, and even Sydney activist Danny Lim

While it is high-profile clients and cases like this that have seen his star rise, he says he gets just as much out of defending everyday people.

'It is too hard to define what the best case I've ever done is,' Mr Wrench said

'Obviously the most recent one [with the Cook family], that really affected me of the recent ones, or even walking out with John Jarratt arm-in-arm, or with Anthony Bell after the AVO, that was a good one.

'But there's also the ones nobody has read about in the paper and some of those are the most touching.

'One day I might be at Moss Vale (for Sam Burgess) the next day I'm at Campbelltown representing people from all walks of life.

'I am just thankful for every opportunity I get to defend people who need it.'

Sam Burgess lawyer Bryan Wrench reveals tragedy that drives him

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Bryan-Wrench-reveals-tragedy-drives-him.html

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-15_20-38-19.gif
    upload_2020-10-15_20-38-19.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 1
  • upload_2020-10-15_20-38-19.gif
    upload_2020-10-15_20-38-19.gif

blue bags

First Grade
Sam Burgess is spotted in public for the first time since bombshell allegations around his partying and love life
  • Sam Burgess's family have continued to rally around the embattled former star
  • The 31-year-old was joined by brother Luke and niece Grace at personal training
  • A bombshell report in The Australian revealed Burgess's alleged partying habits
  • Footy star split from wife Phoebe in 2019 and her father accused him of assault
  • Burgess stepped down from coaching role at Souths and denied all allegations
  • Do you know more? Email: tips@dailymail.com
By JOSH HANRAHAN FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 14:06 AEDT, 15 October 2020 | UPDATED: 14:33 AEDT, 15 October 2020

The family of embattled NRL star Sam Burgess continues to rally around him, with his brother Luke and niece Grace joining him at an early morning training session.

Sam, 31, has kept a low profile in recent weeks after bombshell allegations about his marriage and partying ways were published in The Australian newspaper.

The father-of-two was joined by Luke and his daughter Grace at Air Locker Training in Bondi on Thursday morning, before his brother shared a happy snap to his Instagram afterwards.
Sam has been living with Luke, the oldest of the four Burgess brothers, since he and wife Phoebe sold the Maroubra mansion where they lived during their marriage.

Scroll down for video

34411752-0-image-m-3_1602729675768.jpg

The family of embattled NRL star Sam Burgess continues to rally around him in the wake of The Australian newspaper's bombshell allegations about his personal life, with brother Luke (right) and niece Grace (front) joining him at an early morning training session

34411750-0-image-m-5_1602729716320.jpg

The father-of-two was seen at Air Locker Training in Bondi on Thursday morning, in photos that were later shared to Luke's Instagram

34411956-8842037-image-m-9_1602730211645.jpg

Sam has kept a low profile in recent weeks after bombshell allegations about his marriage to journalist Phoebe (right) and wild partying ways were published in The Australian newspaper

Luke's girlfriend Tori May was among those to comment, telling the towering Burgess brothers they were being shown up by their daughter and niece.

'Gracey girl showing you boys how it's done,' she wrote.

Friends and South Sydney fans were also among those to leave well wishes.

Just days earlier the retired South Sydney Rabbitohs legend had watched his former team win a key elimination final alongside mum Julie, the Burgess family matriarch.

RELATED ARTICLES
Mrs Burgess shared a photo of the pair on Saturday night of her smiling and hugging her son, with the Rabbitohs having just beaten the Parramatta Eels 38-24.

'Soooooooooo happy,' Mrs Burgess captioned the photo.

Earlier in the night she wrote 'let's go Rabbitohs' and 'love our team' as the pair watched Sam's younger brother Tom help his team secure a hard-fought win.

The blissful photo comes after an article in The Australian newspaper last week, which contained bombshell accusations about Burgess' behaviour towards his ex-wife Phoebe and claims of excessive partying.

34238666-8827117-image-a-9_1602366241050.jpg

Burgess's family have continued to rally around the embattled former star. Pictured: Burgess smiles with mother Julie following the South Sydney Rabbitohs victory in the NRL finals

Sam's brother Thomas in action for the Rabbitohs during their 38 - 24 win over the Parramatta Eels

34238834-8827117-The_NRL_and_police_are_investigating_allegations_about_Burgess_p-a-2_1602728114325.jpg

The NRL and police are investigating allegations about Burgess' personal life, including accusations of domestic violence with ex-wife Phoebe (pictured together)

The claims have sparked an NRL Integrity Unit investigation as well as the launching of a police strike force, while Burgess has stood down from his off-field coaching role with the Rabbitohs and commentary role with Fox Sports.

Burgess's media lawyer Mark O'Brien has said: 'The allegations are false and constitute an indefensible defamation against my client.

'It is apparent sources of the false allegations are those currently in dispute with my client over various issues.'

It comes after Burgess was hit with an apprehended violence order taken out by police on behalf of his ex-wife Phoebe's father Mitchell Hooke after an alleged confrontation between the pair last October.

He has pleaded not guilty to intimidating his 63-year-old father-in-law, who he is banned from approaching or contacting.

Burgess's lawyer Bryan Wrench suggested Phoebe Burgess or her father Mitchell Hooke might have committed contempt of court by co-operating with the media.

Mr Wrench raised his concerns during the mention of an apprehended violence order involving the South Sydney Rabbitohs legend at Moss Vale Local Court on Wednesday.

He said Phoebe Burgess had made a 50-page statement to police about her ex-husband which had never been seen by him but which appeared in The Australian newspaper.

'To be quite blunt, it appears that this is born out of either malice or retaliation,' Mr Wrench told the court.

Burgess was hit with an apprehended violence order taken out by police on behalf of his father-in law Mitch Hooke after an alleged confrontation between the pair last October. Mr Hooke is pictured with his daughter Phoebe
Sam denies all allegations levelled against him, which relate to an ongoing domestic violence court case involving him and ex-wife Phoebe's father Mitchell Hooke (Julie Burgess is pictured on the left, her eldest son Luke is at the front and lawyer Bryan Wrench can be seen at back)

After retiring from the NRL last year, Burgess took up a coaching role with South Sydney. In the wake of the bombshell allegations he stood down from that job and a commentary spot on Fox League

The NRL's integrity unit has commenced an inquiry into the allegations raised by The Australian and the New South Wales Police Force has formed Strike Force Irrabella to investigate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ends-Bondi-training-session-brother-Luke.html

Attachments

• upload_2020-10-16_20-42-0.gif
    upload_2020-10-16_20-42-0.gif
  • upload_2020-10-16_20-42-0.gif
    upload_2020-10-16_20-42-0.gif