What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to?

So Flanagan gone after 29 first grade games, but we go all in on Lam in 2021 after playing a whole 11 first grade games. Gee nothing will go wrong there o_O

Valheru

Coach
So Flanagan gone after 29 first grade games, but we go all in on Lam in 2021 after playing a whole 11 first grade games. Gee nothing will go wrong there o_O

I believe Kyle was never anything more than (hopefully) a cog in the wheel to keep the machine going and get a 3 peat.

That obviously didn't occur and they clearly don't believe he is a long term solution there. They are probably not confident of getting back to the GF in the next few years so may as well go with whomever they do think the best long term option is and give him time to develop.

H.H

Juniors
Personally I'm not as sold on Lam. I can still remember the ANZAC Day game last year where he started at five eight whilst Keary was injured and absolutely butchered a try by running away form his supports in the second half when the game was still in the balance. He is solid but that is about all.

Also Lam is only 6 months older than Flanagan, being born in March 1998 as opposed to September 1998. So referring to Flanagan as a kid compared to Lam is disingenuous.

Sam Walker is potentially the most talented halfback at the club.

On a different note, Ryan Hall is one whom I think will be moved on. I think his knee injury suffered in his final year in the UK so stuffed him up and is a big part of why he never showed much form when he did play for us.
Yeah we all remember that and he copped a bake from Robbo for it. That said, it's just part of his learning as a player and I have no doubt he took that option as he's scored that try every single time through his junior career and thought he would again.

Tough way to learn that it doesn't work that way in first grade.

Anyway, I just think he works better with Keary, is far more of a threat with the ball and has a better all round game than Flannagan, kicking aside.

Let's see how it plays out - hell, they're talking about Pearce coming back.

adamkungl

Immortal
If someone wants to buy Flanno, maybe the club wouldn't stand in his way, but that's not necessarily the same as punting him.
We have an extra halfback and either this year or next one of them has to go, so if the situation resolves itself then so be it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Also regarding Pearce, I always liked him and was sad when he left, but his 2020 season was pretty limp even considering the Knights made the finals. I very much doubt we'd go back to the future on this one, but I would find the reactions very very funny

Also regarding Pearce, I always liked him and was sad when he left, but his 2020 season was pretty limp even considering the Knights made the finals. I very much doubt we'd go back to the future on this one, but I would find the reactions very very funny

I wasn’t that enamoured with tbh. Partly my fault as I had lofty expectations. Thought he let us down quite often and 2016 Australia Day was the last straw for me when he embarrassed the club. Agreed with the club’s hierarchy that he wasn’t going to take the club to the next level and haven’t seen anything at Newcastle that might suggest that things have changed..

adamkungl

Immortal
Nrl.com is reporting we have told Flanno he won't be at the club after 2021. So perhaps some truth to the rumours after all.
Looks like Robbo will back Lam and Walker.

adamkungl

Immortal
The furore over the roosters choosing to not re-sign a player is rather amusing.

you think they'd be half as oUtRaGeD if we let Lam go instead of Flanno? One of them won't survive 2021. No way around it. No mention of Hutch in their Poor Flanno nonsense either

10$ Ferret

Staff member
How was your mad Monday Adam?

a lot of teams would kill for a talent like Kyle

Helenburg, Gymea, maybe Mt Druit and Bondi Utd are the only ones I can think of.
Unfortunately the kid isn't a first grader. He did not improve on iota all year

10$ Ferret

Staff member
I hope Walker come good. He controls the game nicely but is too skinny and certainly doesn't have any of the Walker speed. I can't believe all the wraps on him and he hasn't done anything of note. U18s SOO is still age based and means nothing in terms of what you can do in the NRL

A few thoughts:

-- It is disappointing for Flanno, sure, but footy is a business, and we as a club are in the business of winning premierships, not for being a bleeding heart and charity case. Do you think the Storm are second guessing their decision to let Brodie Croft go? Not for a split second.

-- Walker, while most probably our long term answer, is not ready yet. He needs to be nurtured and carefully managed in his transition to first grade. We don't want to see his development be damaged or stunted for the sake of having a short term fix. Lam will act as an insurance policy of sorts. By keeping Verrills and Lussick, we are providing further depth in the halves as well if need be.

-- The idea of Pearce, or others I have heard about such as Benji, James Maloney, Blake Green or Josh Reynolds, coming to the club are nonsensical. Jimmy is the most sensible, but I cannot see him leaving France anytime soon.

-- On the games over the weekend, I am very happy with the results - Penrith knocked out the Vermin (so that can only be a good thing!) and the Storm accounted for the six again Faiders. Happy days! I'll be neutral next week.

According to Brett Read of The Australian the main reason we've told Flanno won't be re-signed, and why they may give him an early release is due to lack of salary cap space. Teddy wants more money than expected, hence there are insufficient fund to re-sigjn him, the Morris' and Friend without moving someone on.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Something’s definitely on the nose in this whole scenario. For what it’s worth I thought he played above what I expected. Put it this way, he didn’t stink.

If the club moves him on it won’t be due to his on field efforts.