What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erin Molan

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't know where to stand on this sort of stuff. Incidentally, I found her taking the piss with the Polynesian names to be highly offensive and unprofessional. Especially as it was on-air.

But is taking the P out of Japanese accents racist, when doing the same out of Irish, Kiwi, American, European whatever is not? That's a genuine question. I guess it's racist when it's a minority group in a country?

Molan is pretty average to say the least as a person, a media personality etc. And so is racial shit. We're all one race - human race. I can't fathom why anyone gives a f**k what ethnicity someone is, what they do in their bedrooms (legally), what colour they are etc. I imagine it's only because they're not intelligent enough to make their own judgements on the individual.

blue bags

First Grade
she was trying to be funny, like the rest on that radio show
many of them have put there foot in there mouth and said stupid things

TheDMC

Bench
I don't know where to stand on this sort of stuff. Incidentally, I found her taking the piss with the Polynesian names to be highly offensive and unprofessional. Especially as it was on-air.

But is taking the P out of Japanese accents racist, when doing the same out of Irish, Kiwi, American, European whatever is not? That's a genuine question. I guess it's racist when it's a minority group in a country?

I just read the transcript of all the stupid shit they said on air. It was dumb as hell and a lot of it would be very offensive.

On the accents thing, yeah I think it depends. Might be more on what you try and say in that accent that determines it, rather than the accent part.

TheDMC

Bench

I live 90% of the time outside NZ and travel a lot for work. The kiwi accent gets mocked more than most (not mine so much, I've learnt to disguise it out of shame haha).

BLN2

Juniors
higher wages, more opportunities, warmer climate, amongst many many things

I think that was the case 5+ years ago, but now I think those things are smaller aspects of Kiwis moving to Aus. Except for people working in the mines chasing big coin, hard to compete with that money. NZ is catching up with the rest of the world now with Tech and $$. Many Kiwis are returning home, and the numbers below would be turbo charged with COVID.

"While 31,300 people migrated from New Zealand to Australia in the year ended June 2019, 27,600 migrated from Australia to New Zealand. About 4 in 5 migrant departures to Australia, and 2 in 3 migrant arrivals from Australia, were New Zealand citizens.

Net migration to Australia – the difference between migrant arrivals and migrant departures – amounted to a net outflow of 3,600 in the year ended June 2019. This compares with the highest-ever net outflow to Australia of 43,500 in the year ended March 2012."

These days Kiwis move to Melbourne or Sydney because of the big city life, which you can't get in NZ. It's a lot closer to home than London. If you want the Insta life, people go to the Gold Coast.

Meth

Staff member
I haven't really reviewed Molan's comments specifically, but we are generally way too easily offended these days. To be honest, I doubt it's the Pacific Islanders or the Japanese who are offended. I bet its more 20-40 yo white people offended due to their own white guilt complex

Blair

Coach
I wonder how racism works in practice anyway? For example, two families are currently moving out of our unit block. One looks like me, the other doesn't.

One were horrible neighbours, the other nothing less than a delight. We are celebrating the departure of one, mourning the other.

'Racism' would suggest I'm upset my 'own kind' are going!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Sometimes I really hate the world we live in these days, nothing comments with zero intent but the ‘I’m offended’ crew must be up in arms about every little thing

Thank god Billy Birmingham came around 25 years ago and released his stuff then, imagine trying to do it these days

you get away with way more if you’re funny like Billy. Unfortunately for Molehands, she’s not.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
higher wages, more opportunities, warmer climate, amongst many many things

it was the first two plus big city lifestyle that brought me in my 20s. Mainly just the wages keeping me here now though I do like the generally multicultural vibe of the area if Sydney I live in. I’ll likely head back to NZ at some point though, I’ve about given up on owning property in Sydney so won’t be here forever.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Why do a high percentage of Kiwis live in Australia ?

I moved last year to Melbourne, and the only thing I miss of living in Auckland are my family and friends

Why did I move? Simple fact that I got offered more money to do the same job. To rent a house that's the same size as the one in Auckland, for considerably cheaper.

Pay less on rent, earn more money. No brainer.

Certainly, some things over here are more expensive than in New Zealand but, well, let's put it this way. In NZ, my wife and I (and our child) couldn't 'get ahead', in fact could barely keep our head above water there to the point that we lived with my parents, and then my in-laws. Over here, for 4 months, we survived on just my salary (providing for me, my wife, my child and sister in law) alone.

Now my sister in law has returned to NZ (Couldn't get work due to the pandemic) and my wife got lucky enough to have a job. We are doing MUCH better than we could have dreamed. I've managed to actually treat myself to things that I couldn't over there (ie build a new computer) and home ownership is becoming less of a dream, and something that we're planning out and will likely turn into a reality within the next 2 years.

The weather in general has been nicer over here, there are more job opportunities here should I look to change roles, heck we are even driving nicer cars than we did there.

Now that restrictions are easing, I'm looking forward to exploring more of what Melbourne has to offer.