What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PF2 Panthers vs Rabbits

WestyLife

First Grade
Re Kikau..he is definitely a huge loss, even when he is having a quiet game the defence constantly worrying about him which creates chances, its a huge luxury but Capewell is a try scoring back rower so he can add plenty to our team. He scored one on the right running off Cleary in that game before he got hurt and then hes scored a few on the left when he has got a run since coming back. He has great timing on his runs whether he is hitting a hole or chasing a kick, he is a rep quality back rower for sure. Had he of been born in NSW and stayed fit all year and held down his starting spot he would be in the mix for NSW origin i think, Maybe not in the team but definitely an option. He should be a shoe in for QLD.

I almost think it works in our favour since there will be a mental shift away from that edge without Kikau by Souths. All the talk is how dangerous Kikau is I wonder how much they'll switch off on Capewell and shift the focus to Luai/Crichton either side of him.

soc123_au

Staff member
I almost think it works in our favour since there will be a mental shift away from that edge without Kikau by Souths. All the talk is how dangerous Kikau is I wonder how much they'll switch off on Capewell and shift the focus to Luai/Crichton either side of him.
I think Wayne is smarter than that, it's still a valid point though. All it takes is their edge to relax a few percent because they can't see Kik's staring them down & Capewell is good enough to take advantage.

WestyLife

First Grade
I think Wayne is smarter than that, it's still a valid point though. All it takes is their edge to relax a few percent because they can't see Kik's staring them down & Capewell is good enough to take advantage.

Yeah Bennett is too good to let something like that mess them up. Goes to what you said about the few percent, if they look at Laui for an extra second than normal for example their entire edge will become vulnerable or you'll get what happened to Flanagan in our game Vs Roosters when Luai completely bamboozled him.

Original Name

Juniors
Backrowers getting at halves has been a staple of the game for as long as Ive been watching it. Ive got no doubt they looked at those two roosters tries through Luai and identified what went wrong. At the end of the day all Jerome can do if he is stuck one on one is get his body in front and try and hang on till the help gets there, unfortunately he isnt close to Nathan in denfence but most halves are not. What we really needed to do better against the roosters was limit those chances to get one on one close to our line. The Tedesco try came off the back off a penalty(by Luai I think) for rushing out of the line down at the roosters end.
It is a staple of the game but his defence is weaker than say both Storm halves and the Raiders halves.

Original Name

Juniors
Yeah Bennett is too good to let something like that mess them up. Goes to what you said about the few percent, if they look at Laui for an extra second than normal for example their entire edge will become vulnerable or you'll get what happened to Flanagan in our game Vs Roosters when Luai completely bamboozled him.
If you go back rewatch it part of that try was the second rower came out of the line because he was wary of Kikau so he wasn't in the line to cover Flanagon's misread like a second rower is suppose to do for their half.

WestyLife

First Grade
If you go back rewatch it part of that try was the second rower came out of the line because he was wary of Kikau so he wasn't in the line to cover Flanagon's misread like a second rower is suppose to do for their half.

Yep and all due to Luai's slight of hand. Difference is they likely won't have that player concerned about Capewell so imagine the second rower and half drifting to Luai. The gap shifts one spot inside.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep and all due to Luai's slight of hand. Difference is they likely won't have that player concerned about Capewell so imagine the second rower and half drifting to Luai. The gap shifts one spot inside.

That is why Capewell scores off kicks. Watch the Dogs game they pressure Luai so he kicks for Capewell later on those gaps open up.

Capewell in isn't a concern for me it is if he needs a break. He is a weapon

betcats

Referee
It is a staple of the game but his defence is weaker than say both Storm halves and the Raiders halves.

Its not weaker than Cody Walkers so they have similar weaknesses, we have been the best defence this year with Jarome playing every game, we just need to do better as a unit on that side than we did V the Roosters.

betcats

Referee
Yep if they start getting a roll on we should be looking to slow the game right down, kick for touch etc

snickers007

Juniors
I'm not overly concerned about having Kikau out. Sure he is a massive weapon, and his presence alone attracts defenders etc. But Capewell is a bit of an unknown for the Rabbits. He hasn't played many games this year for us - the Rabbits will be struggling to find too much footage of him to study.

On the flip side, we've known for 2 full weeks that Kikau wouldn't be playing. Had a full week to formulate game plans for both the Rabbits or Eels, and another week to really refine that Rabbitohs game plan.

We'll find new ways to attack, with some variations on our set plays, and it's also a good opportunity to target the right-side too.

murraymob

Coach
We need api running a bit more out of dummy half especially if burgess is near will create a bit of 6 to go again

chrisD

Coach
The only way we will lose this is if they get space and time to run at Luai/Crichton and particularly Naden. We have to control the middle better than we did against the Roosters to limit the speed with which they hit the edges.

Latest posts