What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020/21 Offseason - Knights

Knight Vision

First Grade
I get the recruiting young half angle just wasn't really sure why Clifford was on the top of everyone's lists
seems to be not many good young halves around. Not sure if there are any that scream future champion.

If we dont recruit anyone I hope Crossland if given an opportunity to state his case.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Don’t worry guys, all of our recent signings since AOB came onboard have been kept out of the media- it’s probably just someone on Facebook/Twitter or Norman’s agent leaking “info”.
AOB made it clear early on he wasn’t a fan of contracts being public knowledge.

Spot On

Coach
Laurie Daley claiming he is hearing the Roosters are looking to bring Mitchell Pearce back!!!!!!

Could we be that lucky?

I doubt it.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member

This is a big mistake. Knights social media and fan engagement was up there with the best in the league.

Most on twitter reckon this in reaction to James Hooper slamming Ryan for restricting media access after some shit games towards the end of the season

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

This is a big mistake. Knights social media and fan engagement was up there with the best in the league.

Most on twitter reckon this in reaction to James Hooper slamming Ryan for restricting media access after some shit games towards the end of the season

Pretty poor from Hooper given Nathan Ryan used to work with him at Fox Sports. His work with all the social media stuff has been great, it’s a real shame to see him out the door. He would be a handy pickup for another club.

Burwood

Bench
Pretty poor from Hooper given Nathan Ryan used to work with him at Fox Sports. His work with all the social media stuff has been great, it’s a real shame to see him out the door. He would be a handy pickup for another club.

I reckon he’ll end up at Parra- seem to remember him doing quite a few preseason stories on them a few years back.

Frederick

Staff member
Hooper is an insufferable merkin. It's a three way tie between him, rothfield and Crawley for biggest f**kwit at News ltd

aqua_duck

Coach
Nate Ryan really brought our digital media presence into the 21st century, before he came on board we had no digital media

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Imo an area of Ponga’s game that was underrated this year was his positioning for taking kicks, especially in our goal line. I think there were a couple of games that we won because Ponga was able to clear up kicks at the back or in some cases he earned us a 7 tackle set rather than a line drop out and some of his efforts to get out of the in goal were excellent. There was that game against Manly at Brookvale that stands out in my mind for that reason.

In attack I think we’re not using him correctly though, we’ve just got him sweeping around the back and delivering balls to the centre/winger or trying to get through a gap but it’s pretty predictable. I’d rather see us using him up the middle more to isolate tired forwards. A big problem here is the lack of ball playing options from our halves and hooker but hopefully the hooker situation is worked out with Brailey playing again next year but who knows what’s going to happen with the halves.

Knight76

Juniors
Unfortunately for Ponga, with Pearce at 7 he has had to shoulder both being a fullback and that role, to also trying to be a half as well.

When we had Green for the game and a bit I thought Pong looked like he didnt feel the need to jump in to the halves role and played a more controlled game.

We better pray we recruit a 5/8 or green can play all of next season or its going to be a shit show again.

I can imagine a whole season of Green at 5/8, Pearce at 7 and Ponga at the back. Something I would be excited to watch.

Jono078

Referee
Unfortunately for Ponga, with Pearce at 7 he has had to shoulder both being a fullback and that role, to also trying to be a half as well.

When we had Green for the game and a bit I thought Pong looked like he didnt feel the need to jump in to the halves role and played a more controlled game.

We better pray we recruit a 5/8 or green can play all of next season or its going to be a shit show again.

I can imagine a whole season of Green at 5/8, Pearce at 7 and Ponga at the back. Something I would be excited to watch.
Didn't Green sign with the Bulldogs? Otherwise he was considering retiring to take up a coaching gig with us.

I was just having a think about next season and I think we are unfortunately, a big chance of dropping back out of the 8. If we don't make a big signing, not many (if any) sides will have a worse halves pairing than us. I expect the Titans, Warriors, Bulldogs and maybe Manly (if no injuries) to improve a lot. Of this years 8, I don't see many regressing aside from us and the Sharps. I know nothing ever goes the way you think and there are always surprise packets but it really isn't looking good for us unless we jag a quality half.

I'm also not a fan of our predictable style of play but that partially fixes itself with the addition of competent halves. I'd rather see us go back to our early season mantra of defence over all else, at least we made it difficult for the opposition. We're so far behind the best in terms of gameplan it's not even funny. This off season is a real acid test for AOB imo.

Yosh

Coach
Also, it was Obi's first season as head coach. I'm sure he learnt plenty and he will be better for it. I highly doubt we will continue to play the drab one out stuff anymore. Surely. Please...

We also made a huge signing in Frizzell. He might be our best forward already. He seems to be in the modern mold and hopefully he will lift our standards like Klemmer has already. I can't see our pack being beat by many others in the comp. Brailey is also like a new signing and should add a new dimension to our attack.

Hopefully we have decided to not resign Pearce. That'll mean we will give more responsibility to whoever is next in line and it'll limit Pearce's influence on games.

Can't see us regressing next year.

Knight Vision

First Grade
We’re underplaying the effect that Brailey coming back will have on the team. He’s almost like a new signing and he’s a massive upgrade on the hooking options we had for the majority of 2020.
This

It will make a huge difference to the team. .