What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freddy and the train derailment...

Reflector

Juniors
In Freddy's self-titled autobiography he mentions that when he was a teenager, he and a mate were involved in (what sounds like) a pretty serious train derailment. Based on the timeline in his book, I'm assuming it was in the late 80's and happened somewhere between Penrith and Blacktown yet I can't find a reference to this incident anywhere else which seems unusual considering how Freddy describes it.

Anybody shed some light on this incident?

stryker

First Grade
In Freddy's self-titled autobiography he mentions that when he was a teenager, he and a mate were involved in (what sounds like) a pretty serious train derailment. Based on the timeline in his book, I'm assuming it was in the late 80's and happened somewhere between Penrith and Blacktown yet I can't find a reference to this incident anywhere else which seems unusual considering how Freddy describes it.

It was bullshit?

jim_57

Staff member

No idea, but.

There are quite a few people out there who live & breathe trains & the railways. I'm sure there'd be online forums/communities similar to this online where you could ask and get an answer straight away. Facebook would have plenty of such pages/groups as well.

horrie hastings

First Grade

This is the only one i could find anywhere close to the area and time frame.

Wentworthville train derailment, 1989[edit]
On 27 December 1989 an eight car Tangara electric passenger train travelling west to Emu Plains became derailed just to the east of the station. Three of the eight carriages derailed, the rear car D6127 being destroyed by the impact with the platform and another, N5127 being condemned some months later. It was CityRail's first major Tangara accident. A 41-year-old male passenger who had to be cut from the wreckage of the rear car died later that day in Westmead Hospital.[49]

Also found this one from 1983

St Marys, 1983[edit]
On 3 March 1983 twenty-four people were injured when a train derailed near St Marys station

Reflector

Juniors
This is the only one i could find anywhere close to the area and time frame.

Wentworthville train derailment, 1989[edit]
On 27 December 1989 an eight car Tangara electric passenger train travelling west to Emu Plains became derailed just to the east of the station. Three of the eight carriages derailed, the rear car D6127 being destroyed by the impact with the platform and another, N5127 being condemned some months later. It was CityRail's first major Tangara accident. A 41-year-old male passenger who had to be cut from the wreckage of the rear car died later that day in Westmead Hospital.[49]

Also found this one from 1983

St Marys, 1983[edit]
On 3 March 1983 twenty-four people were injured when a train derailed near St Marys station

Nicely done, how did you find those?

Reflector

Juniors
Going back through Freddy's book again (p.26 for those at home):

(His mate) and I were involved in a pretty serious train derailment later on. We were on our way home from school in Emu Plains to Werrington on a stinking hot day. The line must have buckled in the heat, and we were flung around the carriage something terrible. Some passengers were dazed and bleeding. I grabbed Fitzy and we headed for a door as the train wobbled ahead. We were in the last carriage. I remember looking back and seeing the line undulating like a snake. No one died, but I did think about the bridge coming up ahead and what had happened in the Granville disaster ten years earlier.

Must have been that one at St Mary's in '83. I got confused because he talks about Granville being 10 years earlier, which was in 1977 so I presumed it must have 1987 or thereabouts.

Coastbloke

Bench
Shouldn't we be discussing how this 40 year old event will affect Origin?

Isn't this what the media and 'Isn't the NRL the only rugby league in the world' fanboys do when Origin is near?

Biden def Trump: Peter Overton to Cameron: "Cam, how will this affect Origin?"

Assad assasinated in Syria: Overton to Erin: "Erin, how will this affect Origin?"

Putin farts: Overton to Cam: "Cam, how will this affect Origin?"

Alien life discovered: Fergo to Mel: "Mel, how will this affect Origin?"

:rolling_eyes::rolling_eyes:

Arran Barker

Juniors

Hi lads, sorry to be late to the party but I was on the same train on the back carriage.
It was either 1988/89.
Stinking hot day and the tracks buckled at the pedestrian crossing at Werrington station. We were on a red rattler and it wasn't stopping at Werrington going straight through to Saint Mary going about 80 K an hour and the last three carriages came off.
It was on the 9 news hosted by Brian Henderson and I jagged an interview as a young fella for the news.
No one was seriously hurt as the platform kept the carriages from slamming into the neighbouring flats and the driver just pulled up just short of the two bridges over the Kingsway.
Hectic ride with most people getting injured jumping off when it finally pulled up.

I've been trying for a long time to track it down, but it is not listed anywhere and can't find any information on it. This post is the only thing I could find.
If anyone has any info on it I would love to get my hands on it.
Cheers Arran

Arran Barker

Juniors
Going back through Freddy's book again (p.26 for those at home):

(His mate) and I were involved in a pretty serious train derailment later on. We were on our way home from school in Emu Plains to Werrington on a stinking hot day. The line must have buckled in the heat, and we were flung around the carriage something terrible. Some passengers were dazed and bleeding. I grabbed Fitzy and we headed for a door as the train wobbled ahead. We were in the last carriage. I remember looking back and seeing the line undulating like a snake. No one died, but I did think about the bridge coming up ahead and what had happened in the Granville disaster ten years earlier.

Must have been that one at St Mary's in '83. I got confused because he talks about Granville being 10 years earlier, which was in 1977 so I presumed it must have 1987 or thereabouts.
It was 1988 and I had the the privilege of being on the same carriage. It was wild if not wilder than he explained.
I made the news that day is a young fella Brian Henderson channel 9, but unfortunately I can't find the right day or month to get my hands on the video.
I have looked for a while to find any references but there seems to be no record.

Reflector

Juniors
It was 1988 and I had the the privilege of being on the same carriage. It was wild if not wilder than he explained.
I made the news that day is a young fella Brian Henderson channel 9, but unfortunately I can't find the right day or month to get my hands on the video.
I have looked for a while to find any references but there seems to be no record.
Yeah that makes more sense than the 1983 derailment, as it lines up with when Freddy was in high school

inside_pass

Bench
Hi lads, sorry to be late to the party but I was on the same train on the back carriage.
It was either 1988/89.
Stinking hot day and the tracks buckled at the pedestrian crossing at Werrington station. We were on a red rattler and it wasn't stopping at Werrington going straight through to Saint Mary going about 80 K an hour and the last three carriages came off.
It was on the 9 news hosted by Brian Henderson and I jagged an interview as a young fella for the news.
No one was seriously hurt as the platform kept the carriages from slamming into the neighbouring flats and the driver just pulled up just short of the two bridges over the Kingsway.
Hectic ride with most people getting injured jumping off when it finally pulled up.

I've been trying for a long time to track it down, but it is not listed anywhere and can't find any information on it. This post is the only thing I could find.
If anyone has any info on it I would love to get my hands on it.
Cheers Arran
Hey mate,
Just saw this. I was on this train as well as we were all classmates with Brad Fittler. I was in the second last carriage and we were all travelling to St Marys station from McCarthy Catholic College at Emu Plains on the way home from school. As you said the line buckled in the heat and the last few carriages were derailed.
I vividly remember all the dust that came through the open windows and you couldn't see a thing. Luckily no one was hurt.
Small world and I'd totally forgotten about it until I saw this thread which jogged my memory.
Damien.

Latest posts