What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman

ALSGI

Bench
Interesting point; seems he’s got a few mates. I’d add to your list Milford, and to a lesser extent Pearce, MBye, Brooks and even Moses as half - five-eighths that the supporters feel that their performances don’t align with their pay check
And add to that one of our 2020 Coaches sons Flanagan being told he’s free to fly by Roosters.

Dragsters

First Grade
Norman is a lazy bugger, being paid top money to just rock up and shuffle around on the field. Previous coaching staff let him get away with slackness and now he is way too comfortable as a plodder ...
We got swindled by signing him up when Parra were desperate to get rid of him. Just like the Bronco’s before that,
We blinked and took the bait and now have an expensive paper weight chewing up cap space.
Unless some miraculous deal can be done to offload him and we pay big % of his wage, we are stuck with the guy. If so AG may be last chance to rescue his career and smallish of hope he may be OK for 2021.
If he can’t see that or be bothered than that’s his choice...

Best case scenario is he gets picked for origin, has a decent series and the donkeys are tempted to swap him for Bird...

Gareth67

First Grade
And add to that one of our 2020 Coaches sons Flanagan being told he’s free to fly by Roosters.

I feel that the young bloke has been hard done by and used as the proverbial scapegoat by the Rorters . He was playing good footy at the beginning of the season in a position vacated by Cooper Cronk - a pretty hard act to follow more so by a chap in his very early twenties .

I think what the Rorters real problem has been is Luke Keary ( undoubtedly a tremendous attacking player ) being used as a turnstile by the opposition , as his tackling technique is bloody disgusting - always goes around the shoulders and the silly bugger can’t work out why he is continually getting knocked-out cold !

But back to young Flanagan , he will be a great buy for another club , as he will only get better over the next few years.

Perhaps he could had partnered our boy Sullivan in the halves ? A damn accurate goal kicker and he does have more ability on his little finger than that other chap Gory Namon (?) :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Norman will be 31 by the time season 2022 roles around. Wether he plays NRL or CC wouldn't matter too much to him imo, he'll still get his rather large pay cheque regardless.

He'll be with us in 2021 and he'll hedge his bets on having a stellar season under Hook and co. He may also just pull the pin himself and go quietly into retirement after 2021 regardless.

The other side of the coin here is maybe he serves us a greater purpose atm. A pawn in a serious game of player chess.

We can only hope!

THAT'S the only reason i reckon we kept picking him last season.Far better to get a bite to offload when he is a current NRL player rather than a reserve grade player ;The only way it made sense.

jak

Bench
I feel that the young bloke has been hard done by and used as the proverbial scapegoat by the Rorters . He was playing good footy at the beginning of the season in a position vacated by Cooper Cronk - a pretty hard act to follow more so by a chap in his very early twenties .

I think what the Rorters real problem has been is Luke Keary ( undoubtedly a tremendous attacking player ) being used as a turnstile by the opposition , as his tackling technique is bloody disgusting - always goes around the shoulders and the silly bugger can’t work out why he is continually getting knocked-out cold !

But back to young Flanagan , he will be a great buy for another club , as he will only get better over the next few years.

Perhaps he could had partnered our boy Sullivan in the halves ? A damn accurate goal kicker and he does have more ability on his little finger than that other chap Gory Namon (?) :rolling_eyes:
did not see this coming gareth but i have to agree with you on all points.

The calm one

Juniors
Yes, I grant you that Norman is most likely very happy on his 850k for nothing deal right now. But he definately won't be happy after a season in reserve grade, feilding offers of 300k-400k.

I'd day he needs to secure a new contract in November to avoid taking such a big hit in 2022 and beyond.
In 2022 he will be 32 or 33. His best years are past him. He knows that. When he has finished here he will probably retire

Inisai Toga

Juniors
In 2022 he will be 32 or 33. His best years are past him. He knows that. When he has finished here he will probably retire
Agree, with your psychology rather than the ‘Accountant’ type view. The funny thing is that Norman was still making a few breaks (that unfortunately weren’t consolidated into tries) in the back half of the season, even with our pop gun pack of forwards and shit game plan.

Point being, If we get a couple of strong forward signing on for next year and even with a ‘Hook last warning’, I think he’ll back himself to impress someone in OZ than move OS, if he is so motivated or otherwise he might just be satisfied to call it a day.

Maddragon99

Juniors

Maybe we’ll get lucky & Norman has some off field incident like Sailor or de Belin so he gets stood down. No other way to fu@k him off

possm

Coach
Maybe we’ll get lucky & Norman has some off field incident like Sailor or de Belin so he gets stood down. No other way to fu@k him off
Please don't wish that upon him or us, the NRL don't meet their obligations and so we end up with having to pay his salary. No, I hope his manager finds a deal for him and because of this, he requests a release.

For those who say Norman doesn't care, you may be right however, Norman's manager does care about his cut.

ALSGI

Bench
Agree, with your psychology rather than the ‘Accountant’ type view. The funny thing is that Norman was still making a few breaks (that unfortunately weren’t consolidated into tries) in the back half of the season, even with our pop gun pack of forwards and shit game plan.

Point being, If we get a couple of strong forward signing on for next year and even with a ‘Hook last warning’, I think he’ll back himself to impress someone in OZ than move OS, if he is so motivated or otherwise he might just be satisfied to call it a day.
The stars have aligned for Snoreman, contract year, new coaching staff, Clune and Sullivan now genuinely competing for his spot.

He needs a big pre season and I hope Clune, Sullivan have a big pre season to keep the pressure on.

Make or break time in the trials, first few rounds.

Hope he kills it next year, then he can f**k off.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Please don't wish that upon him or us, the NRL don't meet their obligations and so we end up with having to pay his salary. No, I hope his manager finds a deal for him and because of this, he requests a release.

For those who say Norman doesn't care, you may be right however, Norman's manager does care about his cut.
Yeh, but he’s not playing

Last edited:

Maddragon99

Juniors

I read this morning Cameron King has retired after only 43 NRL games. I remember Cam & Kyle Stanley both debuting In 2010 & thinking they would be star players for the next decade.

There’s no justice sometimes, Norman has played through virtually injury free, produced little to nothing & has been paid very well. He’s been the worst signing ever.

possm

Coach
The stars have aligned for Snoreman, contract year, new coaching staff, Clune and Sullivan now genuinely competing for his spot.

He needs a big pre season and I hope Clune, Sullivan have a big pre season to keep the pressure on.

Make or break time in the trials, first few rounds.

Hope he kills it next year, then he can f**k off.
I'm tipping a Brid for Norman deal with the Broncos.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I'm tipping a Brid for Norman deal with the Broncos.

A fully fit Jack Bird would be a huge upgrade on Norman. Bird can play in the halves, Centre or even Lock plus he’s a local product. Ideal utility while the kids develop over the next couple of years.

BUT Bird’s shocking injury history is a big red flag. We have Sullivan, Amone & Clune who are all obviously the future, if Norman is happy to play backup in 2021 then let’s keep him we can make a play for Jack Bird in 2022 when he’s off contract & will be much cheaper than he’s current $950k salary.

possm

Coach
A fully fit Jack Bird would be a huge upgrade on Norman. Bird can play in the halves, Centre or even Lock plus he’s a local product. Ideal utility while the kids develop over the next couple of years.

BUT Bird’s shocking injury history is a big red flag. We have Sullivan, Amone & Clune who are all obviously the future, if Norman is happy to play backup in 2021 then let’s keep him we can make a play for Jack Bird in 2022 when he’s off contract & will be much cheaper than he’s current $950k salary.
Give us Bird plus 200k for Norman. I'd play Bird at fullback if his body can stand up to it. He has all off-season to get fit for the position.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Give us Bird plus 200k for Norman. I'd play Bird at fullback if his body can stand up to it. He has all off-season to get fit for the position.

Broncos $975k star’s move to Dragons ‘will happen’ with Griffin ‘a big fan’
fa3a3874d4fb7e4a6f120dca95d261b3

Jack Bird looks set to join the Dragons.
Unwanted Broncos star Jack Bird is expected to sign with the Dragons when the two clubs can strike a deal to let him leave Red Hill with one year to run on his massive contract.

Bird has had a torrid run with injuries in Brisbane and wants to move home to Sydney, but the Dragons want the Broncos to pitch in a large portion of his monster contract.

“There was some Twitter activity today that Jack has done a deal with St George Illawarra,” Brent Read said on Triple M.

“This deal is not close at the moment, but I think it will happen just because there is an appetite on both sides for it to happen.

“Now there is talks going on, but I think those talks have hit a bit of an impasse at the moment. I don’t think it has progressed to the stage where there is an agreement in place.

“There is a couple of issues at play. Jack is on a huge contract next year. He has one year left and he has a $975,000 deal.

“St George are not going to foot the entirety of that bill. Somehow they have got to work out a way where Brisbane will pitch in enough money.

“I believe Brisbane offered to put in $200,000 initially then they offered to put in $300,000 and both times the Dragons said that was not enough.”

Bird has managed just two tries in 17 games in his three seasons at the Broncos since moving from the Sharks in 2018 and didn’t play at all in 2020 due to a knee injury.

However he is a premiership winner from his time at the Sharks and at his best is an Origin player having played five games for the Blues in 2016 and 2017.

Read believes a deal will be struck because it is in both sides’ interests to make it happen. The Dragons need a strike player and the Broncos need to offload his monster contract to create a more balanced squad.

“There is certainly an appetite at the Dragons for Jack Bird,” Read said.

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now >

“There is an appetite for Brisbane to let Jack Bird go and head back to Sydney because as they understand it that is what Jack wants.

“The other challenge for the Dragons is that they would have to give him a two-year-deal so they would have to give him another year.

“That is a challenge because what is he worth? No one really knows.”

f1b8fcb5de0e05017b9c6befbe3b3c98

Jack Bird, Brisbane Broncos training, Red Hill. Photographer: Liam Kidston.
The Dragons are looking at him as a potential fullback, centre or lock, according to Read, but Warriors coach Nathan Brown believes he can play anywhere as long as he gets his body right.

“There was a suggestion they were looking at him as a fullback, but obviously Matt Dufty is there at the moment,” Read said.

“I would have thought potentially in the centres or at lock. They have Jack de Belin there, but there is obviously a question mark over him.

“As I understand it Anthony Griffin is a big fan of Jack Bird, so I think it will happen it is just a matter of when.”

“If his body holds up he can play anywhere,” Brown said.

“He is just a good player. He can play anywhere as long as he is fit.”

Latest posts