What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So you ignore the fact that Tedesco is price similar to that of Hunt and the Roosters are looking for a halfback to replace Flanagan.

They have a halfback already in Sam Walker who is a very good young player similar to Sullivan. They will keep Lam as the 'cheap" back-up.

SnowDragon

Juniors

this is an interesting one. At his best he is devastating, but his body has its issues. How do you value a guy like this (as indicated in the article, but also compare him to our promising juniors, current offer still places him at 600+, and I’d prefer the forward for that coin), and do we risk another Normon like situation in the future (ie broncos cough up some cash for 2021, but we pay heaps in 2022 and he can’t play?

also some concerns as I want tough forwards. Where does he fit in the team? I want mad max in the centres with Lomax next year... and Duffy deserves to continue at FB, so ?

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench

Don’t think Bird’s coming unless the Broncos pay at least 400k and there are favourable clauses Dragons way. Good to see Dragons said no to the initial offers and hope they stick at it. He’s currently not worth 975k, nor would I think half that given the risk.
Dragons need to get him for a steal on our terms or walk away. There’s a fair chance he’ll be on the injured list over the next 2 yrs anyway.

Don’t do it I say. Look elsewhere, look at juniors like the Feg twins and others.

Rebuild in 2021, lets not risk Huge $$ on this guy for 21/22 seasons.

Dragons4me

Juniors

"“St George are not going to foot the entirety of that bill. Somehow they have got to work out a way where Brisbane will pitch in enough money.

“I believe Brisbane offered to put in $200,000 initially then they offered to put in $300,000 and both times the Dragons said that was not enough.”

That would mean we're paying Bird $600,000.00? Sorry Jack. I sure as hell hope not. One third of that maybe otherwise no thanks.

possm

Coach
this is an interesting one. At his best he is devastating, but his body has its issues. How do you value a guy like this (as indicated in the article, but also compare him to our promising juniors, current offer still places him at 600+, and I’d prefer the forward for that coin), and do we risk another Normon like situation in the future (ie broncos cough up some cash for 2021, but we pay heaps in 2022 and he can’t play?

also some concerns as I want tough forwards. Where does he fit in the team? I want mad max in the centres with Lomax next year... and Duffy deserves to continue at FB, so ?
At the moment we are stuck with an under performing Norman, with nothing to suggest 2020, his last season with us, will be any different. I accept Jack Bird is a risk, but if his body holds up, we could have a positive result with a swap; Bird for Norman one year deal.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I thought they want to offload Bird to realise some cap pressure. They know Bird can play, that’s why they bought him in the first place, but I don’t see why there is an automatic assumption that they would want to swap for Norman. Outside of SOO when he needed a replacement has Walters ever suggested he wants to go that way?

They do have newspapers in Brisbane don’t they?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think Gentle would have a pretty good handle on where Jack is as far as his fitness etc is.

The Broncos dont need to get rid of him due to his playing ability, they need to get him out due to cap space.

possm

Coach
I thought they want to offload Bird to realise some cap pressure. They know Bird can play, that’s why they bought him in the first place, but I don’t see why there is an automatic assumption that they would want to swap for Norman. Outside of SOO when he needed a replacement has Walters ever suggested he wants to go that way?

They do have newspapers in Brisbane don’t they?
Norman has only one year to go on his contract, Bird has two years.

Walters likes Norman and has selected him at SOO level where as Griffin punted him from the Broncos when he last coached Norman.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Don’t think Bird’s coming unless the Broncos pay at least 400k and there are favourable clauses Dragons way. Good to see Dragons said no to the initial offers and hope they stick at it. He’s currently not worth 975k, nor would I think half that given the risk.
Dragons need to get him for a steal on our terms or walk away. There’s a fair chance he’ll be on the injured list over the next 2 yrs anyway.

Don’t do it I say. Look elsewhere, look at juniors like the Feg twins and others.

Rebuild in 2021, lets not risk Huge $$ on this guy for 21/22 seasons.

Agreed mate. That 17 games in 3 seasons is an alarming stat and generally players who have that type of run with injuries dont end up being the same type of player once they are fit again.

There is no need for Bird in our side at the moment so I hope we either get him at basement price or pass it up.

Gareth67

First Grade
Flanagan is an after thought. The Tedesco for Hunt is my interest as Hunt is on a long term contract and not performing to our expectations. The opportunity is now and so, I believe we should go for it.

It is very clear that he is the top fullback in the game at the moment and so would remedy the problems we currently have at the back. I really don't have a problem with Flanagan going to the Dogs as we have plenty of young halves coming through and I believe teh Clune/Sullivan partnership is adequate for now.

Norman is a big problem but at lease we only have him for one season if we can't
off-load him.

Good on you possum , stick to your guns mate !

SnowDragon

Juniors
Swapping Normon for bird I like, both on inflated contracts, we are flush with halves, worst part for us is 2022 if bird Is injured assuming 2yr deal.

Gareth67

First Grade
Have only now read the link for the possibility of Jack Bird signing with the Dragons - whom is currently on a reported $975,000 a year at the Broncs .

Brisbane are prepared to pay $300,000 of that amount ( and are still negotiating ) , but by all that is holy we cannot sign this bloke for $675k or for that matter anything over $450k .

IMHO with his litany of injuries it would be an extremely bad risk , in fact whatever the final figure agreed upon I would be signing him on a 1 year deal with an option for a second in the Joint Ventures favor .

George Sancti

Juniors
Offer Brisbane Norman plus the Dragons contribute $150K to Bird's 2021 salary and pay Bird $500K for 2022 subject to him playing a minimum of 18 first grade games n 2022.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Norman has only one year to go on his contract, Bird has two years.

Walters likes Norman and has selected him at SOO level where as Griffin punted him from the Broncos when he last coached Norman.
Is that valid? I realised he picked him but the narrative around Corey was a bit different then than it is now. Any other evidence that suggest Walters is a fan?...if so I see the logic but curious how much of an assumption that is....