What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU Panthers Forum Player of the Year 2020

kyussian

Juniors
Edwards 7 - not as influential has he has been in recent times but great vision to setup Nathan's first try

Mansour 8 - typical tough runs in traffic when needed. still has plenty to offer especially in the dour games needing extras to help carry the team forward

Naden 6 - some good carries but bad misses in defence. if it is 1v2 in the GF, he/we better get ready for Olam terrorising him. Both our centres' defence is suspect at times & expect to be targetted there. Our cover is great but cant be constantly relied upon, especially under fatigue

Crichton 7 - his attack is never the issue although at times he got dominated both sides of the ball with strong contact from Manu. He'll obviously get stronger as he grows but there are chinks now. Getting him early ball in space & as a target in the air will give him the confidence to ride through games.

To'o 7 - more strong carries. Surprised to see some defensive lapses as he's usually pretty dependable. Was always going to be targetted in the air against Tupou

Luai 9 - plenty has been said already. He's causing so much uncertainty with defensive lines. Relishing the opportunity to be the creative spark & the perfect foil for Nathan. Onwards & upwards & it's good to see him getting recognition

Cleary 9 - another tough display & carried the team. he's grown into leading by example & everyone is onboard. Unsure what's going on with his goal kicking though. He hardly missed from the sidelines but is missing more regularly now. I'm confident he'll work through this & step up when needed just like how he absolutely nailed the FG under pressure. Big game experience continues.

Tamou 6 - unsure why he wasnt on longer so not his usual effective self. again I'm confident he'll step up with his experience

Koroisau 7 - solid as usual in defence however didnt show too much of his craftiness in attack which was probably part of the game plan. He also got a knock which may have hampered him

Fisher-Harris 7 - quiet by his standards but his effort to charge down & subsequently take away their momentum with plenty of time remaining was immense. This effort (along with the Bmoz forced into touch in 1H) changed the game & in the end was the difference. Dont forget this is the guy that had no preseason after doing his pec!! I daresay having the week off was the only way he was going to rest!

Kikau 6 - some good runs but some very average defence. Unsure if a break will actually help him but agree our interchange wasnt used very well to counter his obvious fatigue.

Martin 8 - wholehearted performance again just as come to expect. his hit on Lussick to force an error & cover tackle on JMoz at the death typifies the effort plays he's coming up with.

Yeo 9 - the amount of work he does is phenomenal. Both attack & defence is top class. You can tell when he's off the field. He's the unsung hero of our team & probably doesnt get the recognition of the other players but I'm pretty sure his teammates & coaching staff appreciate. Give him the (C) next year & he'll probably get even better!

May 6 - played tough in the middle & his quick reaction pass for Chricton's try was gold.

Capewell 6 - did what he had to do but gassed when he came off. the run will do him good

Leota 8 - provided immediate impact with his strong carries. Would've been great to see if he held onto the ball with the line wide open. Deserves praise for the energy he brings onto the field.

Tetevano 7 - more tough carries & strong defence. His experience at this time of year will hopefully prove his worth.

Last edited:

kyussian

Juniors
Welcome kyussion to the ratings, and quite an auspicious debut.

Thanks Froggy. Another long time lurker (& fan) but very seldom poster. Sometimes the traffic is just too busy & by the time the light is green, the moment has passed! Appreciate everyone's insights into what is hopefully our year!

soc123_au

Staff member
Thanks Froggy. Another long time lurker (& fan) but very seldom poster. Sometimes the traffic is just too busy & by the time the light is green, the moment has passed! Appreciate everyone's insights into what is hopefully our year!
You can run the reds here without penalty. Just dive on in.

The_Frog

First Grade
Finals Week 1 vs Roosters Average Ratings

Edwards 7.0
Mansour 8.0
Naden 6.1
Crichton 7.6
To'o 6.7
Luai 8.7
Cleary 9.5
Tamou 6.4
Koroisau 7.4
Fisher-Harris 7.5
Kikau 6.8
Martin 7.5
Yeo 8.9

May 6.0
Capewell 5.9
Leota 7.5
Tetevano 7.2

Standings (games)

1. Fisher-Harris 1462 (20 + 1)
2. Cleary 1442 (18 + 1)
3. Yeo 1423 (19 + 1)
4. Luai 1420 (20 + 1)
5. Koroisau 1365 (17 + 1)
6. Crichton 1293 (19 + 1)
7. Tamou 1291 (19 + 1)
8. Martin 1268 (18 + 1)
9. Mansour 1261 (19 + 1)
10. Kikau 1249 (17 + 1)
11. Leota 1221 (20 + 1)
12. Naden 1180 (16 + 1)
13. Tetevano 1113 (16 + 1)
14. To'o 980 (14 + 1)
15. Edwards 943 (11 + 1)
16. May 888 (13 + 1)
17. Leniu 724 (11)
18. Burns 487 (10)
19. Aekins 460 (8)
20. Capewell 423 (6 + 1)
21. Whare 329 (7)
22. Kenny 284 (5)
23. Burton 243 (4)
24. Laurie 174 (3)
25. Staines 169 (2)
26. Hetherington 105 (2)
27. MWZ 61 (1)

The_Frog

First Grade
Preliminary Final vs Rabbitohs

Edwards 8
Mansour 6.5
May 7
Crichton 7
To'o 8
Luai 8
Cleary 8
Tamou 7.5
Koroisau 8
Fisher-Harris 8
Capewell 7.5
Martin 7
Yeo 9

Leota 7
Tetevano 6
Kenny 5.5

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
Prelim Vs Souths

Edwards 8
Mansour 6
May 6
Crichton 6
To'o 8
Luai 8
Cleary 9
Tamou 7
Koroisau 10
Fisher-Harris 8
Capewell 5
Martin 6
Yeo 10

Leota 7
Tetevano 6
Kenny 5

Panther Pete

Juniors

Edwards 8.5
Mansour 6
May 7
Crichton 7
To'o 8
Luai 7.5
Cleary 7
Tamou 8
Koroisau 8.5
Fisher-Harris 7.5
Capewell 4.
Martin 7
Yeo 8

Leota 6.5
Tetevano 6.5
Kenny 6

I am going to watch the game again today so I might revise these but my recollection was Capewell dropped the ball about 58 times.

The_Frog

First Grade
I am going to watch the game again today so I might revise these but my recollection was Capewell dropped the ball about 58 times.
NRL.com lists 4 errors. He wasn't alone in dropping the ball. He did defend well I thought and unlucky to have his try called back (correct call though). He'll be back to the bench next week.

kyussian

Juniors
Edwards - 8 - safe under the high ball pressure in the 2nd half plus strong runs, support play & positioning at the back top notch. Still has a mistake in him & last night was the strip in the opening minutes. Put that away & it's a 9

Mansour - 7 - huge heart with the toughest of carries continued however his mistakes cant keep being covered especially in these games. dropped ball, wasted challenge & worst of all, the inexplicable forward pass. Feel like Souths missed a trick by not bombing to him however he will definitely be tested next week against Vunivalu

May - 7 - great effort to pressure Johnson for Brian's first try. He is a true footballer & would prefer if he were in the middle where he could handle the ball more as fear he could be shown up defensively next week with the heat of Olam & JAC

Crichton - 6.5 - kept relatively quiet but hard to get him into the game. A bad drop on the line after almost scoring

To'o - 8.5 - couldnt ask for much more. strong carries & constantly beating defenders. he still had plenty of work to do to score his try.

Luai - 7.5 - better defensively this week & created plenty of opportunities but we couldnt convert. Still a massive threat in attack.

Cleary - 7.5 - some nice kicks but also felt could've kicked better & into space more. he didnt get much chance to use his running game but always strong defensively & glad that confidence seems to be returning with his goalkicking

Tamou - 8 - solid in both attack & defence. His last game with us so I'm hoping he'll fire up & perhaps bring back some of that aggression he was once known for

Koroisau - 9 - cut down anything that came his way with his awesome defence plus ran a lot more creating doubt in around the ruck. Thankfully he's ok & will have a big say in how we perform next week

Fisher-Harris - 8.5 - just keeps on keeping on. tough in the middle on both sides of the ball. I predict the Fish will rise even further next week & brutalise his more fancied rivals

Capewell - 5.5 - poor game with his hands but still has the grit & resilience to contribute significantly when called upon. Had the spotlight on him this week with Kiks out but still think he'll be better for the run as he's been underdone this year

Martin - 6 - quiet game by his standards. Didnt get much space to work in plus another loose carry. He does look like he's labouring a bit but back him to lift next week

Yeo - 9 - another standout performance. Undecided if he should be playing 80 but we miss him badly when he's off the field.

Leota - 7.5 - strong again when coming on, forcing an error & maintaining the energy

Tetevano - 7.5 - like Moses, strong carries & hard in defence.

Kenny - 7.5 - considering the reshuffle I thought he was strong & definitely helped sure up the defence when the game started getting frantic towards the end.

Naden - n/a - really like Naden & the energy he brings to this team but not having him does deflate our attack. Seems his defensive performance vs roosters forced Ivan's hand. It's a tough one because you know he'll give you attack but does it come at a cost of defence? We got away with it this game but will we the next? I doubt he plays now as Olam is a greater threat but his height in attack would offer a possible point of difference! Play for his strengths or omit due his weakness? Not quite understanding why we had to wait until this late to work it out? Surely an unnecessary distraction. Time will tell.

Learnings/Thoughts:
- Our whole middle third need so much more credit for consistently dominating. They absolutely decimated Souths as they have other sides. No one can say that our middles havent done what they've been asked of & more.
- i love that everyone has written us off - especially Andrew Johns. It actually gives me more confidence & hopefully this adds to the motivation to silence the doubters. Having said that, we havent played the full 80 in both semi's & the team you cant drop your guard against is Melbourne. Hopefully we're learning & not overawed by the occasion. Winning ugly is fine.
- We will not be getting any favours from the refs (or the bunker!) so will have to employ the 'Queenslander' mentality to win on our own accord. There'll be no charity given & the 'let's send Cameron off in style' campaign will be part of the agenda.
- it's going to be wet next weekend apparently & so conditions will be simliar, if not worse than what we played in. This should lessen the expansiveness of the Storm backline & potentially turn it into a grind which will mean nimble players like Edwards, Luai & Koroisau will come into their own. Smith will know how to manage the game & daresay will be kicking a lot out of dummy half. Likewise we will need to rely on Nathan to manage the game the best he has ever done
- if we complete our sets & maintain composure, I believe our fitness levels will allow us to gain confidence to carry us through. It’s not traditional to have total confidence in a Panthers team but you get the sense that things might just be changing & now is the time to believe. Enjoy the ride everyone!

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Edwards 8 - The standout defensive fullback in the comp for mine. Was unlucky with the strip (reckon the second player had a hand on him) but I love that he doesn't go into his shell any more. His positioning and high ball takes were perfect after an error in the first few minutes. Contrast that with the guy who was a massive liability for half a season last year. What a transformation. Hope everyone continues to underrate him.
Mansour 7 - Would have been a great game if not for the errors and insane challenge. A couple of outstanding defensive reads on top of his usual mountain of meters too.
Crichton 7 - Looked threatening but butchered a try or two. Defense improved a bit.
May 6 - Pretty quiet on the whole. Offers more in attack from the middle of the field and is hardly a rock defensively. Naden has his issues, but playing May here weakens two positions.
To'o 8 - Great game. Took his try very well and made some crucial meters.
Luai 7 - Sound defensively and his usual crackerjack self with the ball. One of the many players who loses a point for butchering a try.
Cleary 7 - Butchered a try (who didnt?) but still kicked pretty well. His kick for Mays try was glorious.
Tamou 9 - He was brilliant imo. Dominant in the tackle and dragged players on his back on pretty much every run. Really wants to end his time here a winner.
Api 9 - Deserved motm. So threatening in all aspects and his usual terrierlike self in defence.
JFH 8 - Hit like a truck with and without the ball.
Capewell 6 - Some very poor errors. Epitomised our attitude. Lots of enthusiasm but lacking composure. Made some good runs, tackled well and should have had a try though.
Martin 7 - Tackled and ran well. A poor error at a poor time but he's hardly alone there. Need another level from him next week.
Yeo 9 - Could have been motm. His work for Edwards try was incredible in a moment when we needed it most. Exactly what you need from your captain. What a player.

Naden n/a - Can I get some F's in chat please?
Leota 6 - Didnt get enough minutes, but his work was good while he was on. Needs to be used better.
Tetevano 7 - Good game. We lose nothing with this bench.
Kenny 7 - Did pretty well when Api went off. One great run that was straight out of his mentors playbook. I like him but its hard not to see him as a simply worse 14 than May. When Api is firing for 80 he just doesn't provide as much in the floating forward role.

Last edited:

Kev07

Juniors
Edwards 8 - The standout defensive fullback in the comp for mine. Was unlucky with the strip (reckon the second player had a hand on him) but I love that he doesn't go into his shell any more. His positioning and high ball takes were perfect after an error in the first few minutes. Contrast that with the guy who was a massive liability for half a season last year. What a transformation. Hope everyone continues to underrate him.
Mansour 7 - Would have been a great game if not for the errors and insane challenge. A couple of outstanding defensive reads on top of his usual mountain of meters too.
Crichton 7 - Looked threatening but butchered a try or two. Defense improved a bit.
May 6 - Pretty quiet on the whole. Offers more in attack from the middle of the field and is hardly a rock defensively. Naden has his issues, but playing May here weakens two positions.
To'o 8 - Great game. Took his try very well and made some crucial meters.
Luai 7 - Sound defensively and his usual crackerjack self with the ball. One of the many players who loses a point for butchering a try.
Cleary 7 - Butchered a try (who didnt?) but still kicked pretty well. His kick for Mays try was glorious.
Tamou 9 - He was brilliant imo. Dominant in the tackle and dragged players on his back on pretty much every run. Really wants to end his time here a winner.
Api 9 - Deserved motm. So threatening in all aspects and his usual terrierlike self in defence.
JFH 8 - Hit like a truck with and without the ball.
Capewell 6 - Some very poor errors. Epitomised our attitude. Lots of enthusiasm but lacking composure. Made some good runs, tackled well and should have had a try though.
Martin 7 - Tackled and ran well. A poor error at a poor time but he's hardly alone there. Need another level from him next week.
Yeo 9 - Could have been motm. His work for Edwards try was incredible in a moment when we needed it most. Exactly what you need from your captain. What a player.

Naden n/a - Can I get some F's in chat please?
Leota 6 - Didnt get enough minutes, but his work was good while he was on. Needs to be used better.
Tetevano 7 - Good game. We lose nothing with this bench.
Kenny 7 - Did pretty well when Api went off. One great run that was straight out of his mentors playbook. I like him but its hard not to see him as a simply worse 14 than May. When Api is firing for 80 he just doesn't provide as much in the floating forward role.

May missed 2 tackles but according to you is hardly a rock in defence.
Crichton missed 5 tackles but according to you his defence improved a bit yet missed 3 tackles vs Roosters from 6 tackle attempts.

And Naden missed 6 tackles vs Roosters.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
May missed 2 tackles but according to you is hardly a rock in defence.
Crichton missed 5 tackles but according to you his defence improved a bit yet missed 3 tackles vs Roosters from 6 tackle attempts.

And Naden missed 6 tackles vs Roosters.

Critta made some good reads/tackles along with some poor ones. I thought his defense was very poor against the Roosters and "improvement" comment was made in that context.

I thought our right edge was especially shaky. Both their second half tries came down that edge in situations where we didn't read the play properly, with a few other half breaks being diffused only with good scramble. That kind of stuff doesn't show up in a missed tackle count. As the centre, May bears some of that responsibility.

My comments on May are also (if I'm honest) coloured by the situation with the bench and Naden and while that might not be strictly "fair", its my right as the person going to the trouble of putting his thoughts down in a detailed post rather than simply sniping from the sidelines.

Thirsty Panther

Juniors

Edwards 8
Mansour 7
May 7
Crichton 7
To'o 8
Luai 8
Cleary 8
Tamou 8
Koroisau 8
Fisher-Harris 8
Capewell 7
Martin 7
Yeo 9

Leota 7
Tetevano 6
Kenny 6

The_Frog

First Grade
I'll close this on Saturday at 6pm and post an update before the big one, seeing as there are no Mervs and this is now the definitive Panthers award (sorry for being smug).

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Edwards 8
Mansour 7
May 7
Crichton 7
To'o 8
Luai 7.5
Cleary 7.5
Tamou 7.5
Koroisau 8
Fisher-Harris 8