What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd be starting Naden at centre for the GF. I can see Olam giving May a bath and think we need Naden's extra step of pace to give Melbourne's left side defence a bit of work to do.

Me too. Horses for courses thing. Souths make the centres have to think more. Storm don't but they have the explosive speed of the back 3 to deal with.

I don't think Olam is capable of giving anyone a bath BUT he is capable of setting up the speed out wide

Abacus

Juniors
Me too. Horses for courses thing. Souths make the centres have to think more. Storm don't but they have the explosive speed of the back 3 to deal with.

I don't think Olam is capable of giving anyone a bath BUT he is capable of setting up the speed out wide
Don't get me wrong, I think Olam is just as likely to be a Storm weak point, but he's capable of running around May with Munster, Pap & JAC likely to have May (at best) 1 on 1 with Olam.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't get me wrong, I think Olam is just as likely to be a Storm weak point, but he's capable of running around May with Munster, Pap & JAC likely to have May (at best) 1 on 1 with Olam.

We also have Capewell as an option with Kikau back which would combat the hard running Olam brings but then it leaves you short speed

Caged Panther

First Grade
Woke up thinking maybe it was all a dream.
Thankfully my lack of voice told me it wasn't.
Got my tickets to the GF! We're off to the big one baby! The best bit is no work this week so I have all the time in the world to enjoy the ride.

Fangs

Coach
Penrith should win the middle again as they have done all year. Last night was about poor execution and questionable decisions.

Cleary/Luai played well enough to get us home but I was surprised they didn't attempt to build more pressure via drop outs. We should have had the Rabbits camped down their end for longer periods of the game.

Melbourne don't have the best centres. They are an obvious target to attack. Canberra were like Penrith on Friday. Created countless opportunities on their right edge. On their best day they score a lot more tries than they did. With Kikau back we shouldn't have an issues creating chances to score points.

One area Melbourne will match us is their back 3 who I think are the best in the comp. Cleary's kicking game will need to be perfect to minimise the damage.

The_Frog

First Grade
I did not get May starting at centre with Naden off the bench. It made little sense.
It robbed us of pace out wide and May’s impact off the bench in the middle.
Ivan worried about Naden getting targeted by Souths. But now the word is out. He can't really play Naden next week. It was a strange decision but May did well and seems likely to hold the spot next week.

Maybe Naden is leaving the club?

franklin2323

Immortal
Penrith should win the middle again as they have done all year. Last night was about poor execution and questionable decisions.

Cleary/Luai played well enough to get us home but I was surprised they didn't attempt to build more pressure via drop outs. We should have had the Rabbits camped down their end for longer periods of the game.

Melbourne don't have the best centres. They are an obvious target to attack. Canberra were like Penrith on Friday. Created countless opportunities on their right edge. On their best day they score a lot more tries than they did. With Kikau back we shouldn't have an issues creating chances to score points.

One area Melbourne will match us is their back 3 who I think are the best in the comp. Cleary's kicking game will need to be perfect to minimise the damage.

The lack of kicking to the sidelines was clearly a ploy to not give Souths set starts but it would wasted some time at the end.

I counted 6 tries we bombed due to various reasons. So no issue with our attack just do the basics right

Kev07

Juniors
Ivan worried about Naden getting targeted by Souths. But now the word is out. He can't really play Naden next week. It was a strange decision but May did well and seems likely to hold the spot next week.

Maybe Naden is leaving the club?
The Rabbits would of done their homework all week on exposing Nadens defence ,especially knowing he has a tendency to rush up.

That plan went out the window when Ivan pulled a trick shot an hour before the game and put May at centre.

Fangs

Coach
The lack of kicking to the sidelines was clearly a ploy to not give Souths set starts but it would wasted some time at the end.

I counted 6 tries we bombed due to various reasons. So no issue with our attack just do the basics right

It hasn't been a problem all year. We have the most forced drop outs in the comp and we are at our best when building pressure and keeping teams pinned down. Its how I would like to take it to Melbourne.

They do have the best back 3 in the comp so I'm not expecting tries off kicks from our side. They will punish us in the air especially on Vunivalu's side.

Fangs

Coach
Fangs 17:

1. Edwards
2. Mansour
3. Crichton
4. Naden
5. To'o
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. Tamou
9. Korisau
10. JFH
15. Capewell
12. Martin
13. Yeo

14. May
11. Kikau
16. Leota
17. Tetevano

Clearly this won't be Ivan's 17.

Naden will be useful in attack and under the high ball. We need that height with our tiny wingers up against Melbourne.

I'd pull a 'swifty' and have Kikau start off the bench. We can't do a Raiders and let Melbourne fly out of the gates. Capewell is a safer option to start. Stick with them as long as needed before injecting the beast.

May in his rightful position off the bench.

franklin2323

Immortal
It hasn't been a problem all year. We have the most forced drop outs in the comp and we are at our best when building pressure and keeping teams pinned down. Its how I would like to take it to Melbourne.

They do have the best back 3 in the comp so I'm not expecting tries off kicks from our side. They will punish us in the air especially on Vunivalu's side.

Which is why I think it was tactics due to the tries Souths score off scrums. We do have technically 2 Head coaches in the box so probably why each game is approached differently

Latest posts