What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

possm

Coach
For me, and I'd surprised if Griffin is on another track, it is Bird for fullback. Fullback is our only weakness right now. Max Feagai has the potential to handle left centre very well.

Dragsters

First Grade
For me, and I'd surprised if Griffin is on another track, it is Bird for fullback. Fullback is our only weakness right now. Max Feagai has the potential to handle left centre very well.

Dufty would make a very dangerous bench utility which could work with Birds ability to play multiple positions.

Dufty comes on at fullback with Bird shifting from fullback to wherever he's needed, halves, backline or forwards potentially.

Could be effective...

BLM01

First Grade
Bird should undergo a full medical assessment before we consider signing him.

A lot of water has flowed under the bridge since 2016.

If our club shows some patience, better options may emerge.
All NRL clubs do their own extensive medical checks before signing a player including getting info from prior club medicos. If they have not then they are not a professional outfit more like a park football outfit who sometimes sign and hope for the best. Been guilty of that myself

Like the deal at the right price Broncos to chip in 60% + of the owed money. Not a fullback for me, id be looking at him as a ball playing strike edge backrower.

Agree, to me I see him now as a Wade Graham type.
Big enough on the edge but quick with ball skills.
It’s another attacking option on the edge to compliment the spine.
Love Frizz but the past few years he was just a hard runner who always seemed to run the line back into the defence, very predictable in the end thanks to shithouse Coaching.
Wade Graham is very effective on the edge as he runs, passes, kicks, dummies or organises a special play or cut out pass.

ALSGI

Bench
Agree, to me I see him now as a Wade Graham type.
Big enough on the edge but quick with ball skills.
It’s another attacking option on the edge to compliment the spine.
Love Frizz but the past few years he was just a hard runner who always seemed to run the line back into the defence, very predictable in the end thanks to shithouse Coaching.
Wade Graham is very effective on the edge as he runs, passes, kicks, dummies or organises a special play or cut out pass.
Agree and you might be onto something here.

Friz replacement with a lot more skill that could play in a number of positions?

I’m starting to warm to the prospect but the if he stays fit thing spoils it.

possm

Coach
If I had my way it would be Ramsay at FB for 2021.. then you need to find a winger because our current ones Ravalawa and Pereira are inconsistent
I would go with Ramsey too however, there are some that say he is too raw right now; and there maybe a some truth to this.

I'd say Schiller is next in line for a wing position leading to consideration for the fullback position. But some of these young guns need some time in Canterbury Cup. They need to play so well that they push there way into first grade on form.

With a fit Bird, we have so many options and can move him from one position to another:

• To fullback until Ramsey shows us he is ready.
  • To five-eight in place of Norman.
  • To left centre if Max Feagai proves to be a bit raw.
  • To lock is De Belin is not available.

BLM01

First Grade
I would go with Ramsey too however, there are some that say he is too raw right now; and there maybe a some truth to this.

I'd say Schiller is next in line for a wing position leading to consideration for the fullback position. But some of these young guns need some time in Canterbury Cup. They need to play so well that they push there way into first grade on form.

With a fit Bird, we have so many options and can move him from one position to another:

• To fullback until Ramsey shows us he is ready.
  • To five-eight in place of Norman.
  • To left centre if Max Feagai proves to be a bit raw.
  • To lock is De Belin is not available.
Can someone please explain if we have a genuine fullback in the making.. why do they have to start their NRL career on the wing?. Makes no sense to me and still cant get my head around it.
St George are about the only team that seem to start someone's NRL career in their wrong spot (backs) and it makes no sense and drives me insane. Maryisms gone wrong and hope it changes going forward.
Ramsay played a lot of Juniors as a winger so I can accept that and filled in at fullback so well. Schiller did ffill in at wing for Young in 1st grade as he was still so young (no pun intended) but in reggies and Under 18's his best position was at fullback.
dragons have some big decisions to make going forward especially in the backs with a lot of talent coming through.
If all show promise..we will have to let some go. I guess Sailor was the 1st casualty..more to come before 2022..

Gareth67

First Grade
Can someone please explain if we have a genuine fullback in the making.. why do they have to start their NRL career on the wing?. Makes no sense to me and still cant get my head around it.
St George are about the only team that seem to start someone's NRL career in their wrong spot (backs) and it makes no sense and drives me insane. Maryisms gone wrong and hope it changes going forward.
Ramsay played a lot of Juniors as a winger so I can accept that and filled in at fullback so well. Schiller did ffill in at wing for Young in 1st grade as he was still so young (no pun intended) but in reggies and Under 18's his best position was at fullback.
dragons have some big decisions to make going forward especially in the backs with a lot of talent coming through.
If all show promise..we will have to let some go. I guess Sailor was the 1st casualty..more to come before 2022..

Yes BLMO1 the same applies here - always these young chaps will be making their 1st grade debut and the egghead who was in charge over the last 7 long seasons would immediately place them on the wing as you have said.

In some instances the player had enough ability to cope with the positional change , but some simply did not - case in point Kurt Mann . A great halves player , but was rarely given that prized position because of our expensive purchases and also the fact that egghead still believed that the world was flat , therefore any player could play in any position in the team because he ( egghead ) knew it all .

As a consequence the player would be dropped to the C.Cup and would be most fortunate to see the top grade again . Disenchantment would set in and that young player would eventually seek greener pastures , but what the heck said Mary “ I will replace them with more journeymen ! “

But we now have a number of very promising youngsters coming through and hopefully Griffin will play them where their true potential lies . Ramsey with a few more kilos would make a great fist of the fullback role , the lad has heaps of confidence and only needs top grade experience in that position so as to fully mature .

I have confidence in our new coaching staff to fully recognize the failings of the past and correct them to the point whereby our junior paths-ways system is finally operating the way it was meant to . Here’s to a far better season in 2021 for the Big Red V .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade

100% correct.

Ramsey is more of a winger than a fullback.
Schiller is a fullback more than a winger (or centre)

Agree as you say, we have to make some very big decisions, starting next year.

possm

Coach
Yes BLMO1 the same applies here - always these young chaps will be making their 1st grade debut and the egghead who was in charge over the last 7 long seasons would immediately place them on the wing as you have said.

In some instances the player has enough ability to cope with the positional change , but some simply do not - case in point Kurt Mann . A great halves player , but was rarely given that prized position because of our expensive purchases and also the fact that egghead still believed that the world was flat , therefore any player could play in any position in the team because he ( egghead ) knew it all .

As a consequence the player would be dropped to the C.Cup and would be most fortunate to see the top grade again . Disenchantment would set in in that young player would seek greener pastures , but what the heck said Mary “ I will replace them with more journeymen ! “

But we now have a number of very promising youngsters coming through and hopefully Griffin will play them where their true potential lies . Ramsey with a few more kilos would make a great fist of the fullback role , the lad has heaps of confidence and only needs top grade experience in that position so as to fully mature .

I have confidence in our new coaching staff to fully recognize the failings of the past and correct them to the point whereby our junior paths-ways system is finally operating the way it was meant to . Here’s to a far better season in 2121 for the Big Red V .
You are correct and there is no real answer to your question. I suppose that if Ramsey had been playing fullback at first grade level at another club, he would be a walk-up start at the Dragons. In my opinion Ramsey would do a great job at fullback but long term it will be Schiller with Ramsey returning to the wing. With the Feagai brothers as our outside backs on the left and with Lomax as our right centre, I'd go so far as to say that after just a few games as fullback in reserve grade, Schiller will make his way into the NRL 17; possibly at fullback.

gregstar

Referee
How depressing is it to be discussing this as a potential signing?

Is there a single high profile, elite representative player out there that will ever join our club?
Is there a single high profile, elite representative player out there who will ever be even linked to our club?

Who would be the highest profile player we've ever signed since 1999?

Creeping Jesus is probably the only huge signing we've ever achieved.

possm

Coach
How depressing is it to be discussing this as a potential signing?

Is there a single high profile, elite representative player out there that will ever join our club?
Is there a single high profile, elite representative player out there who will ever be even linked to our club?

Who would be the highest profile player we've ever signed since 1999?

Creeping Jesus is probably the only huge signing we've ever achieved.
I'd say Hunt is the most expensive player, followed by Norman, followed by Widdop.

Crush

Coach
Fullback is our only weakness now?
Lol.
Dufty was one of our best this year.
Id say we have weakness in the following positions-
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13

Latest posts