What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the panthers all of a sudden so good?

The_Frog

First Grade
What do you mean all of a sudden?

Their fans have been telling us this was going to happen every year since about 2013
It's been a gradual rise since about then. 2015 was an outlier due to injuries and 2019 another outlier due to off field issues. The latest step has been pretty big. You don't fluke 17 in a row.

GongPanther

Referee
It's been a gradual rise since about then. 2015 was an outlier due to injuries and 2019 another outlier due to off field issues. The latest step has been pretty big. You don't fluke 17 in a row.
Last night's win broke two team records of Easts and Souths dating back to 1912 and 1908 respectively.We also now equal Manly's 17 undefeated streak (wins & draws) dating back to 1972-73.

Those two records dating back 108 and 112 years is monumental, and hopefully the media recognise and publicise these records.

soc123_au

Staff member
What do you mean all of a sudden?

Their fans have been telling us this was going to happen every year since about 2013
We are like a lovingly prepared pork shoulder. It takes time for everything to meld & the flavours to come together followed by a nice long slow cook.

Tigers will fire up the charcoal eventually & get their party started.

wittyfan

Referee
I’m overseas atm and was only keeping tabs on Parra games. I thought I’d check in on the finals and was shocked to see Penrith in the gf. Did a bit of research and they have been killing it after coming back from covid. What’s the go? Their team looks pretty much like the same team from last year.

Two words: SIX AGAIN

10$ Ferret

Staff member
19 wins in a row is the record.

On the original question, I think a big part in Penrith doing well is that they got rid of Gould and all his influence. I don't believe its what he started coming to fruition (thats what he would have you believe) I think its the new fresh ideas that have been allowed to flourish with him gone

Bazal

Post Whore
Their smugness has peaked at the right time. With renowned mental cases like Parra and the Raiders also up there on the ladder, the Roosters crumbling without half a team and a halfback with sickle cell anemia, and the Storm carrying Brenko Lee as a handicap they really have little competition.

Add to that the fact that there are soooooooooooo many premierships in the group and they're clearly the greatest team ever seen by anyone in any sport.

Rhyno

First Grade
Because they are about a million over the cap

Don’t forget they still paying 500k for RCG and some of Waqa Blake’s contract

19 wins in a row is the record.

On the original question, I think a big part in Penrith doing well is that they got rid of Gould and all his influence. I don't believe its what he started coming to fruition (thats what he would have you believe) I think its the new fresh ideas that have been allowed to flourish with him gone

Gould is a big part of our current success, and I say this as a critic of his later years at the Panthers. The juniors coming through now are directly related to the overhauling of our systems when he took over in 2012. It was his idea the Panthers move to a squad that was largely based around players who debuted for the club, rather than recruiting. I was skeptical of this last part but it’s working well now.

The_Frog

First Grade
played almost the entire season in Sydney and have had very few major injuries.
We always play almost the entire season in Sydney, have done for 54 seasons now. That's because most teams in the competition are from Sydney, it having evolved from the Sydney premiership. It doesn't explain 17 wins in a row, including wins in Townsville, Brisbane and Robina. Every other Sydney team played mostly in Sydney too, surprise surprise, and they didn't win 17 in a row.

You do know, of course, that driving a bus from Penrith to Kogarah or Brookvale takes the same time as flying an aeroplane from Canberra to Brisbane, don't you?

Injuries have been good this year, but we've had a few. To'o 8 weeks, Edwards 7 weeks, Capewell 12 weeks. A few other shorter term ones. It has no doubt helped, but if it were only that, Parra would have made the GF. They've had less than us.

Last edited:

Latest posts