What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

The Realist

Juniors
I’m a little concerned about the wing matchups for the grand final. Crichton is going to have to help Mansour out with the high balls, and if Naden is playing he’ll need to help To’o. The Storm wingers are fast and tall, suspect we’ll see a lot of kicks go our wings way.

This has me very concerned as well, more so the speed than the height. Both our wingers are relatively slow so if they get beaten or get caught slightly our of position it is good night Irene.

Thankfully our defensive structure has been good when scrambling and we are making good decisions as well, but an inform Storm is the biggest test possible.

The Realist

Juniors
The Rabbits would of done their homework all week on exposing Nadens defence ,especially knowing he has a tendency to rush up.

That plan went out the window when Ivan pulled a trick shot an hour before the game and put May at centre.

I never considered this angle but on reflection you are dead right. Souths targeted our right side edge defense strongly all night. They did have a bit of success (some of it more luck than skill) but not as much as they are accustomed to.

murraymob

First Grade
The thing is.the bunnies kept scoring out wide last 3 games.Our slide was brilliant and shut them down .I think we do the same and it will limit there wingers a lot

WestyLife

First Grade
Yes he is truly the one, and what is worse is that the Storm have numerous set plays designed to utilise that speed and they are executing very well.

Definitely. They've become adept at using it to get around defensive structures so even players making good decisions are late on the play.

Panthers fan representation at the game last night was pretty disappointing, I’d guess around 12k of the crowd were Penrith supporters. Hopefully it’s a better showing at the Grand Final, could be a real advantage for the team with hardly any Storm supporters there.

kinghippo

Juniors
Our last 2 performances have shown the boys are a lot more nervous than they have been letting on.
I think that goes double for Ivan, he is overthinking things.
His bench rotations have changed a lot over the last few weeks and the Naden call was unnecessary.
Against the Roosters he had May replace Yeo, he kept Tamou and Fish off for ages.
Last Night Capewell was on to long, Leota got very limited minutes and Naden didn’t get a run.
We have been so dominant all year with our forwards, I don’t understand why he is messing with it so much.

chrisD

Coach
We are a better team than the Storm. With the last two scratchy performances behind us we should put together a good one. Our middle is unmatched, and without Naden for them to exploit we don't really have any glaring weaknesses. Kicking in behind Mansour and attacking between between Luai and Crichton perhaps, but they're decent enough that if the middle holds strong they shouldn't be too exposed. And the middle will hold strong.

Like the last time we played the Storm, it should be a comfortable grind.

Crashtest

Juniors
I think that goes double for Ivan, he is overthinking things.
His bench rotations have changed a lot over the last few weeks and the Naden call was unnecessary.
Against the Roosters he had May replace Yeo, he kept Tamou and Fish off for ages.
Last Night Capewell was on to long, Leota got very limited minutes and Naden didn’t get a run.
We have been so dominant all year with our forwards, I don’t understand why he is messing with it so much.

Souths had scored 144 points in their last 3 games with most of their tries from their left edge. Ivan’s tinkering with the centre position helped restrict them to only 16 points, plus May scored a try and played a key role in another.

Ivan’s changes worked, we won, and now in a grand final!

GongPanther

Referee
Panthers fan representation at the game last night was pretty disappointing, I’d guess around 12k of the crowd were Penrith supporters. Hopefully it’s a better showing at the Grand Final, could be a real advantage for the team with hardly any Storm supporters there.
Sounded like there were also a good number of neutrals who cheered for both sides while enjoying the experience.

Souths had scored 144 points in their last 3 games with most of their tries from their left edge. Ivan’s tinkering with the centre position helped restrict them to only 16 points, plus May scored a try and played a key role in another.

Our defence has been good all year with Naden in the centres, though. I know he’s got a howler in him, but changing the team dynamics this late seems fraught to me. We haven’t been ourselves the last couple of games.

abpanther

Staff member
So pumped for this, can't wait!

Looks like tickets for the general public don't go on sale till Tuesday morning? Is there a code anyone can share to help me buy some now?

BxTom

Bench
We are a better team than the Storm. With the last two scratchy performances behind us we should put together a good one. Our middle is unmatched, and without Naden for them to exploit we don't really have any glaring weaknesses. Kicking in behind Mansour and attacking between between Luai and Crichton perhaps, but they're decent enough that if the middle holds strong they shouldn't be too exposed. And the middle will hold strong.

Like the last time we played the Storm, it should be a comfortable grind.
Agree,we have hopefully played our bad games and still won. Now for a great team effort without the errors. 18 Straight!

GongPanther

Referee

There is and has been a method to Ivan's madness all year. And here we are 17 games unbeaten, minor premiers, a GF in a season were it seems like it's gone in a flash.

kinghippo

Juniors

The May change wasn’t why we won.
We are a better team than they are.

You make it sound as if we have been leaking try’s all year, but we have had the best defence in the comp.

I don’t mind if May is in this week but I hope Ivan picks the bench properly, it has been one of our biggest assets keeping our pack relentless and dominant.

We don’t need tricks or fancy coaching moves, we are the best team in the comp on the back of a simple game plan and hard work.

We win this weekend by dominating field position, ruthless defence and grinding the storm out of the game.