What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Burwood

Bench
I call bs.

The article words it as “a 3-year extension”, so best case scenario is he’s chasing an upgrade on the remaining year in 2021 and the $3.3m is spread out over 4 years. That’s still $825,000/yr which is crazy money for a rookie.

Jono078

Referee
Apparently Flanagan is chasing a 3 year $3.3M contract.
I think I know what article you read and I think you may have read it wrong, because that was my first thought too. Positive they were talking about Tedesco.

edit: Whoops, wasn't on the last page - already been addressed!

Old dog

Juniors
Get used to it either Mann, most likely, or Watson our 5/8 for 2021 and possibly beyond with the other 14, we have few options, need o sign a prop/middle forward, new or King, need to sign a back up hooker, Randall or Huth so not much space numbers wise and how is the budget.
I personally, on what’s available would be having a serious look at Flanagan on a two year, option our way for third, not serious big money, plays ok, young, kicks goals and could be our 7 after Pearce is gone. Not sure we have young players pushing for halves positions and am including Crossland, he is still a work in progress

Yosh

Coach
Get used to it either Mann, most likely, or Watson our 5/8 for 2021 and possibly beyond with the other 14, we have few options, need o sign a prop/middle forward, new or King, need to sign a back up hooker, Randall or Huth so not much space numbers wise and how is the budget.
I personally, on what’s available would be having a serious look at Flanagan on a two year, option our way for third, not serious big money, plays ok, young, kicks goals and could be our 7 after Pearce is gone. Not sure we have young players pushing for halves positions and am including Crossland, he is still a work in progress

Eh? We have Crossland and Hoy who can play five eighth. They might not be better players but they still have some claim to the six jersey.

Spot On

Coach
Get used to it either Mann, most likely, or Watson our 5/8 for 2021 and possibly beyond

The search continues...
Imagine going beyond 2021 without a no 6. Nathan Bown x 4 yrs and O'Brien will have had 2 yrs. Six years to fill a spine position. What are we doing wrong?

Surely we can find a RL player somewhere in the world to play 6.

FFS.

What a disgrace.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The search continues...
Imagine going beyond 2021 without a no 6. Nathan Bown x 4 yrs and O'Brien will have had 2 yrs. Six years to fill a spine position. What are we doing wrong?

Surely we can find a RL player somewhere in the world to play 6.

FFS.

What a disgrace.
I think in the Brown years it was a matter of just do what we can and build the roster with what we have available.

It was pretty bad remember.

God have mercy if Watson is our 5/8 and Mann is average at best even during a breakout season for him.

The other choices are 2 rookies - 1 of which is a fullback.

All of the above are not what is required for Pearce to thrive.

Spot On

Coach
I think in the Brown years it was a matter of just do what we can and build the roster with what we have available.

It was pretty bad remember.

God have mercy if Watson is our 5/8 and Mann is average at best even during a breakout season for him.

The other choices are 2 rookies - 1 of which is a fullback.

All of the above are not what is required for Pearce to thrive.

Yes, it was bad but he had a chance to rebuild the spine and had millions to do so.

But, he give Pearce a million a year, bought a utility back to play hooker and for some reason thought Connor Watson could play 5/8 when he can't pass or kick.

Tick for taking a chance on Ponga though.

We didn't address the spine too well under the Brown years. Cost him his job.

O'Brien now faces the same problem going into his 2nd year. Yes, Brailey shoukd make a difference but the coach needs a whole new style of play if this side is to progress in 2021.

Need only look at the style of footy being played the past 2 weekends - and it does not suit us AT ALL.

Quick, fast ball movement, quick leg speed by the big boys in the middle, defenders who hit low and hard when needed (see Mlb and Penrith completely dominate their opposition by doing this ie Canberra still looking for Papalii and Tapine = missing) which is now becoming a feature of defence, passing from all players, edge backrowers who can attack, offload and pass, halves with varied and pinpoint accurate kicking games, variation in attack etc. Repeat sets are King and we suck at this. Absolutely pathetic.

All the things we did not have this year.

The style of footy played pre wrestle era is back ... and we need to change to that.

Not sure if we have the roster for that unfortunately.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Yes, it was bad but he had a chance to rebuild the spine and had millions to do so.

But, he give Pearce a million a year, bought a utility back to play hooker and for some reason thought Connor Watson could play 5/8 when he can't pass or kick.

Tick for taking a chance on Ponga though.

We didn't address the spine too well under the Brown years. Cost him his job.

O'Brien now faces the same problem going into his 2nd year. Yes, Brailey shoukd make a difference but the coach needs a whole new style of play if this side is to progress in 2021.

Need only look at the style of footy being played the past 2 weekends - and it does not suit us AT ALL.

Quick, fast ball movement, quick leg speed by the big boys in the middle, defenders who hit low and hard when needed (see Mlb and Penrith completely dominate their opposition by doing this ie Canberra still looking for Papalii and Tapine = missing) which is now becoming a feature of defence, passing from all players, edge backrowers who can attack, offload and pass, halves with varied and pinpoint accurate kicking games, variation in attack etc. Repeat sets are King and we suck at this. Absolutely pathetic.

All the things we did not have this year.

The style of footy played pre wrestle era is back ... and we need to change to that.

Not sure if we have the roster for that unfortunately.
Another issue is we don't really attacking from within our own half. The teams that played on the weekend love to put on plays, use short side raids or shift quick from around their own 40m line which catches teams napping, we only attack from the red zone when defences are more alert and the fullback can push up and create an extra number in the defensive line, to compound things even further our horrific short kicking game doesn't allow us to build pressure through repeat sets

Spot On

Coach
Another issue is we don't really attacking from within our own half. The teams that played on the weekend love to put on plays, use short side raids or shift quick from around their own 40m line which catches teams napping, we only attack from the red zone when defences are more alert and the fullback can push up and create an extra number in the defensive line, to compound things even further our horrific short kicking game doesn't allow us to build pressure through repeat sets

Yep, that is why I wrote that repeat sets are KING.

How does O'Brien fix that problem, remembering Pearce is now 300 games and 15 years into his career????