What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

Smith is extremely lucky to have played for a club that the NRL needs to be successful- to the point that even after being caught cheating the game Melbourne was allowed to keep the nucleus of a side they assembled whilst cheating.

100% correct.

It's hard to view the achievements Smith, Cronk and Slater as anything but tainted considering they always had the odds stacked in their favour. Exceptionally talented players all 3 of them, but they were never put through the trials and tribulations that most players experience.

As great as Smith and Slater were, they couldn't stop NSW from winning in 2003, 2004 and 2005. Johns and Fitler owned them.

It doesn't surprise me that Cronk signed with the Roosters and not a struggling side. The aura of these three blokes would have taken a hit if they played in a losing team.[/QUOTE]

Canard

Immortal
100% correct.

It's hard to view the achievements Smith, Cronk and Slater as anything but tainted considering they always had the odds stacked in their favour. Exceptionally talented players all 3 of them, but they were never put through the trials and tribulations that most players experience.

As great as Smith and Slater were, they couldn't stop NSW from winning in 2003, 2004 and 2005. Johns and Fitler owned them.

It doesn't surprise me that Cronk signed with the Roosters and not a struggling side. The aura of these three blokes would have taken a hit if they played in a losing team.

Slater debuted NRL in 2003, Smith in 2002.

Slater didn't play Origin till 2004.

Slater and Smith, at 19, 20 and 21 got "dominated" by two Hall of Fame talents at the peak of careers?? No shit

Lay off the ice brother.

Slater debuted NRL in 2003, Smith in 2002.

Slater didn't play Origin till 2004.

Slater and Smith, at 19, 20 and 21 got "dominated" by two Hall of Fame talents at the peak of careers?? No shit

Lay off the ice brother.
Allan Langer helped lead QLD to victory in 1987 before his 21st birthday. He didn't have the luxury of playing in a star studded team. He was plucked out of the BRL.

Canard

Immortal
Allan Langer helped lead QLD to victory in 1987 before his 21st birthday. He didn't have the luxury of playing in a star studded team. He was plucked out of the BRL.

That one example isn't sufficient to pass judgement on two 19 year olds not being any good because they didn't win Origin everytime they played.

Johns and Fittler didn't either, so you can write them off based on that criteria.

As for that 87 side not being star studded. It's a veritable Who's Who of QLD Legends

Screenshot_20201019-071420_Chrome.jpg

taxidriver

Coach
His most vocal critics are always from perennial no-hopers, or former-glory clubs that have been circling the drain for the last decade.
Says it all really.
Another with no argument to defend his indiscretions

seems to be a trend

maybe because They are indefensible

Last edited:

taxidriver

Coach
Most of the criticism of Cameron Smith is nonsensical and/or hypocritical.

Take the Mackinnon incident, loaded with emotion such as it was. Smith bore a huge amount of criticism, and still does years later. Let it not be forgotten that one of the dirtiest, most filthiest talentless players in Beau Scott was lifting blokes earlier in that game and had the hide to complain about Maclean's tackle. This video gives insight:

A few weeks later the same Newcastle player, with 'riseforalex' scrawled on his jersey completely unironically no doubt, deliberately tried to seriously injure Johnathon Thurston, nearly breaking his neck in the process. This is after the whistle was blown it should be reminded. That was cool though because...NSWanker.

The contrast and response of this could not be starker.

Nary a word of criticism is uttered for one of the most disgusting acts I've ever witnessed - Beau Scott deliberately trying to drive a players head into the ground while bending his neck. Quite the opposite, he is lauded as a 'hard man' and we still see images of his tough guy act shared on these forums.

This is why the faux-outrage about Smith must be kept in perspective. Much of it is perpetuated by people who are unable to form their own opinions, and are swept up in group think e.g "if I make a nasty post about Cameron Smith I will get plenty of likes".

It has been said earlier, Smith is the greatest player of the fully professional era, just as Lewis was before him the semi-pro days. A record of unparalleled success that should deservingly be capped off with a premiership on Sunday. The Rugby League world will be watching.
Congratulations, a candidate for the biggest misrepresentation of an argument in the history of these boards

Canard

Immortal
Most of the criticism of Cameron Smith is nonsensical and/or hypocritical.

Take the Mackinnon incident, loaded with emotion such as it was. Smith bore a huge amount of criticism, and still does years later. Let it not be forgotten that one of the dirtiest, most filthiest talentless players in Beau Scott was lifting blokes earlier in that game and had the hide to complain about Maclean's tackle. This video gives insight:

A few weeks later the same Newcastle player, with 'riseforalex' scrawled on his jersey completely unironically no doubt, deliberately tried to seriously injure Johnathon Thurston, nearly breaking his neck in the process. This is after the whistle was blown it should be reminded. That was cool though because...NSWanker.

The contrast and response of this could not be starker.

Nary a word of criticism is uttered for one of the most disgusting acts I've ever witnessed - Beau Scott deliberately trying to drive a players head into the ground while bending his neck. Quite the opposite, he is lauded as a 'hard man' and we still see images of his tough guy act shared on these forums.

This is why the faux-outrage about Smith must be kept in perspective. Much of it is perpetuated by people who are unable to form their own opinions, and are swept up in group think e.g "if I make a nasty post about Cameron Smith I will get plenty of likes".

It has been said earlier, Smith is the greatest player of the fully professional era, just as Lewis was before him the semi-pro days. A record of unparalleled success that should deservingly be capped off with a premiership on Sunday. The Rugby League world will be watching.

It's crazy that a Channel 9 hatchet job is still considered to be the true account of the McKinnon incident by so-called Rugby League fans.

nick87

Coach
His most vocal critics are always from perennial no-hopers, or former-glory clubs that have been circling the drain for the last decade.
Says it all really.

I hadnt really made the connection before but you're absolutely right
:D

taxidriver

Coach
Explain to me which part you found so objectionable?
You’re the one that called it a hatchet job, you explain

I’ve never seen the 60 minutes interview

formed my opinion at the time it all went down based on the footage that was widely shown

are you suggesting 6O minutes doctored the video?

taxidriver

Coach
Question for the fan boys

given pretty much universal acknowledgment of his footballing abilities , why does it goad you so much that not everyone is prepared to ignore his other traits, why the desperate need for a Cameron Smith love in?

im pretty confident if I traveled through your posting history I’d find ample evidence of negativity and criticism of other players but I’m also pretty confident that none of the reasons for those posts would come anywhere near the reasons provided against Smith.

so again

no one disputes his football ability

why the sycophantic almost bordering on desperate desire for the love in?

nick87

Coach
HE didnt own anyone. Rugby League is a team sport. It's not f**king Tennis.

Smith is extremely lucky to have played for a club that the NRL needs to be successful- to the point that even after being caught cheating the game Melbourne was allowed to keep the nucleus of a side they assembled whilst cheating.

Reading your overblown hyperbole I half expected you to go on to describe the night you cried when you met Smith at a nightclub and had the honour to give him rim job and a blowie in a side alley outside - No doubt you would have gargled a little and swallowed.

Owwww poor little salty baby :(

Lets be real about this. You dont like him because:
1. He's better than Andrew Johns and will be remembered as the better footballer, and that f**king burns you to your core.
2. He presided over a decade long period of dominance over NSW and your jimmies are still rustled over it.
3. Because he committed the great unforgivable crime to going of bat for his teammate in the McKinnon incident.

Last edited:

moffla

Bench
Question for the fan boys

why the sycophantic almost bordering on desperate desire for the love in?
I ask you the question. Why the bordering on desperate desire to have others share your hatred for a man you’ve never met?
Do you have comprehension issues?

quote one post where people challenge his playing ability

you think history will forget the salary cap scandal and his behaviour during the McKinnon injury?

No chance

forever a stain ( and justifiably so) on his legacy
So you’re argument is that because in 100 years no one will remember what a despicable merkin he is , we should just forget about it now?

Not me champ

forever a cheat and that’s the least of it

Reflector

Juniors
HE didnt own anyone. Rugby League is a team sport. It's not f**king Tennis.

Reading your overblown hyperbole I half expected you to go on to describe the night you cried when you met Smith at a nightclub and had the honour to give him rim job and a blowie in a side alley outside - No doubt you would have gargled a little and swallowed.

"If he doesn't duck his head, the blowie doesn't happen"

I have not met Cameron Smith. What he is like off field I have no idea. I can only judge him by his on field actions and demeanour.

I do not deny he is a very talented rugby league football player. No denying it. However his seeming "win at all costs" demeanour sees him does stuff which annoys the crap out of me. Things such as constantly arguing with the referees whenever a decision goes against him or the Storm.

Granted other players do this too, but Cam takes it much further. When other players get waved away and accused of time wasting by referees, they rarely ever do so to him, often holding the game up whilst he remonstrates with them. It is that difference in treatment which annoys me - you either treat all players like Cam and stop the game every time to explain, or you wave him away after a brief explanation (p.s. I know what is in the rugby league rule book by the way on this matter).

His carry on field at the time of the Alex McKinnon incident was poor. McKinnon was in a bad way, but did Cam show one iota of concern for a potentially injured player? Nope. I was watching that game, his lack of sportsmanship was glaring at that time. He gives you the impression that he will do "whatever it takes", even if it means bending the rules, to win.

Then add on the media frenzy around him. It happened with Johns, Thurston, and Lewis (to name a few) whom whenever they did something decent on the field the media would all but cream themselves over it proclaiming it the best play ever even if it was something run of the mill. People make up their own minds about things and do not like having how they should feel rammed down their throats. It is why, in my opinion, Wally Lewis was so disliked in NSW during his glory years was because of the media reporting of him.

Coupled with that reporting is the expectation that because he is a good player we must respect and like him too. As such supporters at other clubs just find that expectation unbelievably unrealistic, which is why he is often unliked.

Generalzod

Immortal
I have not met Cameron Smith. What he is like off field I have no idea. I can only judge him by his on field actions and demeanour.

I do not deny he is a very talented rugby league football player. No denying it. However his seeming "win at all costs" demeanour sees him does stuff which annoys the crap out of me. Things such as constantly arguing with the referees whenever a decision goes against him or the Storm.

Granted other players do this too, but Cam takes it much further. When other players get waved away and accused of time wasting by referees, they rarely ever do so to him, often holding the game up whilst he remonstrates with them. It is that difference in treatment which annoys me - you either treat all players like Cam and stop the game every time to explain, or you wave him away after a brief explanation (p.s. I know what is in the rugby league rule book by the way on this matter).

His carry on field at the time of the Alex McKinnon incident was poor. McKinnon was in a bad way, but did Cam show one iota of concern for a potentially injured player? Nope. I was watching that game, his lack of sportsmanship was glaring at that time. He gives you the impression that he will do "whatever it takes", even if it means bending the rules, to win.

Then add on the media frenzy around him. It happened with Johns, Thurston, and Lewis (to name a few) whom whenever they did something decent on the field the media would all but cream themselves over it proclaiming it the best play ever even if it was something run of the mill. People make up their own minds about things and do not like having how they should feel rammed down their throats. It is why, in my opinion, Wally Lewis was so disliked in NSW during his glory years was because of the media reporting of him.

Coupled with that reporting is the expectation that because he is a good player we must respect and like him too. As such supporters at other clubs just find that expectation unbelievably unrealistic, which is why he is often unliked.
But But its the way he talks to refs...lol, I think we all saw that Alex Mckinnon he was hovering around while the injured player was laying on the ground explaining to ref that it was Alex's actions that caused it, to me thats despicable.

Canard

Immortal

I've never understood disliking a player because of the media.

It's like booing an actor who plays a bad guy on TV, when you see him in the street.