What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the panthers all of a sudden so good?

franklin2323

Immortal
No, it's about why we have been very good this year. And the amount of travel we've done shouldn't even rate a mention. Its not even a top 30 reason. This should be obvious given how few Sydney teams actually took "advantage" of something that effected all of us.

This. Everyone played with the same rules so it is a redunant reason. In fact going to Suncorp this year was a bonus with zero crowd. Also private jet so less time in airports

some11

Referee
But, and it's a big but, you gotta bring it home now. It's all about the Premierships and it'd be a terrible letdown to not win it from here.
Yep, unless you've got 1 or 2 immortals to be in your team, losing then trying to win it the next year is a big ask in the NRL.

Storm and Roosters have done it because they have those players and they've done it before. Penrith have neither.

Win it now for the sake of your fans.

I’m overseas atm and was only keeping tabs on Parra games. I thought I’d check in on the finals and was shocked to see Penrith in the gf. Did a bit of research and they have been killing it after coming back from covid. What’s the go? Their team looks pretty much like the same team from last year.

They hijacked the Tigers’ bus driver...who was formerly a panthers bus driver, til they sacked him.

Chimp

Juniors
- Soft Comp (Only Panthers, Storm or Roosters could win it)
- Even softer draw within the soft comp
- Very few injuries (probably linked to soft draw)
- Lots of injuries for competitors
- New rules absolutely play to their strengths (much faster, free flowing game) - speed and aerobic fitness much better than size and strength

betcats

Referee
Our players(In particular the forwards) are hitting the right age and experience levels at the right time, and we signed the right guys to help build a very hardworking group this year. Fish, Yeo, Kikau, Leota are all in that 24-26 range and are at 70 nrl games or more, they are all entering their peaks together. Our forward pack is the main reason for our success imo. The spine and backs haves been brilliant but our forwards give them momentum and field position to play off every week.

The_Frog

First Grade
- huge number of juniors
- first dibs on any young players west of the Mountains
- large supporter catchment
- wealthy Leagues Club

1. Having lots of juniors requires lots of work and not inconsiderable cost, which is why so many clubs have abandoned development and just go to the market. About a third of our first grade team are local kids. Another third were scouted, brought in mostly as teenagers, and looked after, along with hundreds of others who haven't made first grade. The remainder have been bought on the market to fill perceived gaps in the side. The Roosters have a similar setup, but they get fewer locally and more on the market. We are trying to achieve their culture of keeping all developed players we want to keep, subject to the constraints of the salary cap, and its looking promising in that regard.

Sometimes you can bring a crop of juniors through and they can all turn out to be bums, as happened to us a decade or so ago. This puts clubs off player development as well.

You never see fans of clubs who've had a poor season suggesting greater emphasis on development. It is always lets poach the players of other teams, mostly us this year. Doing this got the Roosters a couple of premierships and in that regard they did the game no favours whatsoever.

2. Setting up the Central West has also taken vision, work, money and time. Any club in the NRL could do the same, and several already are. Phil Gould gets a lot of hate for his on-air persona (which is all theatre) and his ego(which is real), but in the area of player development he is a giant of the game.

3. I keep reading we're way below Parra, Souths, Bulldogs and Dragons in supporter numbers. Certainly we can't compete with the one city teams in this area. The current success if it can be maintained will help in this regard. There are still too many supporters of other teams in our area but I'm guessing even they are on us this week.

4. Not that wealthy at the moment, having closed for some months, and it also had to be built up from nothing, which other clubs could do. I suppose it does help to have a conglomerate whose charter is to support Rugby League in the district, but we're not alone in that regard either. It used to be that every team was like this. Some clubs now have wealthy benefactors which seems like a nice advantage too.

Last edited:

Legends

Juniors
1. Having lots of juniors requires lots of work and not inconsiderable cost, which is why so many clubs have abandoned development and just go to the market. About a third of our first grade team are local kids. Another third were scouted, brought in mostly as teenagers, and looked after, along with hundreds of others who haven't made first grade. The remainder have been bought on the market to fill perceived gaps in the side. The Roosters have a similar setup, but they get fewer locally and more on the market. We are trying to achieve their culture of keeping all developed players we want to keep, subject to the constraints of the salary cap, and its looking promising in that regard.

Sometimes you can bring a crop of juniors through and they can all turn out to be bums, as happened to us a decade or so ago. This puts clubs off player development as well.

You never see fans of clubs who've had a poor season suggesting greater emphasis on development. It is always lets poach the players of other teams, mostly us this year. Doing this got the Roosters a couple of premierships and in that regard they did the game no favours whatsoever.

2. Setting up the Central West has also taken vision, work, money and time. Any club in the NRL could do the same, and several already are. Phil Gould gets a lot of hate for his on-air persona (which is all theatre) and his ego(which is real), but in the area of player development he is a giant of the game.

3. I keep reading we're way below Parra, Souths, Bulldogs and Dragons in supporter numbers. Certainly we can't compete with the one city teams in this area. The current success if it can be maintained will help in this regard. There are still too many supporters of other teams in our area but I'm guessing even they are on us this week.

4. Not that wealthy at the moment, having closed for some months, and it also had to be built up from nothing, which other clubs could do. I suppose it does help to have a conglomerate whose charter is to support Rugby League in the district, but we're not alone in that regard either. It used to be that every team was like this. Some clubs now have wealthy benefactors which seems like a nice advantage too.

It's clear Penrith has done a great job in recent times of player development and they deserve to be rewarded for that. It makes it easier, though when you have so many potential players and members on your doorstep.

I'm not sure it was 'poaching the players of other teams' that got the Roosters a couple of Premierships. You'll find they recruit established first graders less than most other teams, they just do it more wisely, eg Tedesco and Cronk, compared with Milford and Bird or Hunt and Norman.

dogslife

Coach
The 2020 Panthers have always been the greatest team of all time, it's just that since 2003, the other clubs have just been a little more greatester of all time. Pretty simple stuff really.

The_Frog

First Grade
It's clear Penrith has done a great job in recent times of player development and they deserve to be rewarded for that. It makes it easier, though when you have so many potential players and members on your doorstep.

I'm not sure it was 'poaching the players of other teams' that got the Roosters a couple of Premierships. You'll find they recruit established first graders less than most other teams, they just do it more wisely, eg Tedesco and Cronk, compared with Milford and Bird or Hunt and Norman.
They were a top 4 side already, but Tedesco and Cronk were the final pieces in the puzzle. I wouldn't call Cronk poached anyway, he'd left Melbourne to get married and was looking for a club, but Teddy was an out and out poaching.

The 2020 Panthers have always been the greatest team of all time, it's just that since 2003, the other clubs have just been a little more greatester of all time. Pretty simple stuff really.
Is that our attack coach in your avatar? Maybe this isn't as tongue-in-cheek as it seems.

They were a top 4 side already, but Tedesco and Cronk were the final pieces in the puzzle. I wouldn't call Cronk poached anyway, he'd left Melbourne to get married and was looking for a club, but Teddy was an out and out poaching.

Robbie talked Teddy out of going to Canberra which he pretty much regretted. He was always going to leave.

Tiger Shark

Bench
They've got some very good players but think a very very good run with injuries and almost every player is in career best form.

Personally I feel if they don't win it on Sunday they're far from being there next year. No Barrett, No Tamou and injuries and form can't be as good as it was this year.

myrrh ken

First Grade
It's a bit of a Cinderella story. From 10th last year to 1st.

No injuries plays and soft draw plays a part.

I was going to say that having the youngest squad in the comp that can play fast benefitted from the 6 again rule change. But then I stumbled across this June article saying they are benefitting for the opposite reasons - the rule allows for repeated ruck infringements. Would be quite interesting if that trend kept going after June

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07...are-taking-advantage-of-set-restarts/12460928

Last edited:

forby

Juniors
Can somebody please explain how it is a soft draw when you play everybody once and 3 top 8 clubs twice, and beat everybody except a draw with Newcastle?
Melbourne also played everybody once with 3 top 8 clubs twice, yet finished 5 points behind. By this logic they had the same soft draw but I dont here this mentioned anywhere.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Can somebody please explain how it is a soft draw when you play everybody once and 3 top 8 clubs twice, and beat everybody except a draw with Newcastle?
Melbourne also played everybody once with 3 top 8 clubs twice, yet finished 5 points behind. By this logic they had the same soft draw but I dont here this mentioned anywhere.
Don't waste your time. merkins are just jealous