What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Digicel Cup Aiming for July 4 Kick Off

mikail-eagle

Bench
Reigning Champions Lae Tigers have secured a place in the 2020 Grand Final.
Yesterday they defeated Minor Premiers Rabaul Gurais 30-10 progress and take a week off.

The Gurias wlll this week play the Hela Wigmen for a chance to take on the Tigers in the big dance in 2 weeks time. The Hela Wigmen stayed alive by defeating the Port Moresby Vipers 12-8 in a bruising encounter.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Reigning Champions Lae Tigers have secured a place in the 2020 Grand Final.
Yesterday they defeated Minor Premiers Rabaul Gurais 30-10 progress and take a week off.

The Gurias wlll this week play the Hela Wigmen for a chance to take on the Tigers in the big dance in 2 weeks time. The Hela Wigmen stayed alive by defeating the Port Moresby Vipers 12-8 in a bruising encounter.

Are you able to give us a run down on the local Port Moresby competition? I assume it is running this year?

mikail-eagle

Bench
Are you able to give us a run down on the local Port Moresby competition? I assume it is running this year?

The local Port Moresby Rugby League Competition did resume and this is will be the 7th week since the competition restarted. Its running and A Grade, U20's and a women's competition this year.

The A Grade Competition has 14 Teams;
1. Brothers
2. Kone Storms
3. Kone Tigers
4. Royals
5. Magani
6. Souths
7. Tarangau
8. Hohola Flies
9. Wests
10. Butterflies
11. Dobo Warriors
12. Paga Panthers
13. Hanuabada Hawks
14. Defence Force

Below is a fb group for the competition where you could get xtra info;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/790552900969243/

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The local Port Moresby Rugby League Competition did resume and this is will be the 7th week since the competition restarted. Its running and A Grade, U20's and a women's competition this year.

The A Grade Competition has 14 Teams;
1. Brothers
2. Kone Storms
3. Kone Tigers
4. Royals
5. Magani
6. Souths
7. Tarangau
8. Hohola Flies
9. Wests
10. Butterflies
11. Dobo Warriors
12. Paga Panthers
13. Hanuabada Hawks
14. Defence Force

Below is a fb group for the competition where you could get xtra info;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/790552900969243/

Thanks for that. I recall a team called DCA, are they no longer playing?

I have a newspaper liftout from the 1986 GF between DCA and Wests.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Thanks for that. I recall a team called DCA, are they no longer playing?

I have a newspaper liftout from the 1986 GF between DCA and Wests.

Their original name was Porebada Bulldogs.
The Team was from Porebada Village which is about 15 kilometres outside of Port Moresby.
But they were always referred to as DCA because back in those years they were sponsored by the Department of Civil Aviation and the sponsors initials were inscribed in big bold letters on the front of the jersey.

Am not sure the reasons why but the Team left the Port Moresby Rugby League in the late 90's. They made a comeback for 2 o 3 seasons mid 2000's and quit again. They now take part in the new Hiri West League that has Teams from villages outside of Port Moresby taking part in.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Thanks for that. I do recall seeing him play first grade on TV also those other famous PNG names...also a fellow who played for Redcliffe in 1981 grand final called Latoi Atoi.
I have noticed past Kumuls have heritage numbers now, is there a site where you can see all the past test players names..their number and tests they played?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It's good to see Paga Panthers..Kone Tigers...Hawks and Tarangau still playing, I believe they were the 4 original clubs.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Thanks for that. I do recall seeing him play first grade on TV also those other famous PNG names...also a fellow who played for Redcliffe in 1981 grand final called Latoi Atoi.
I have noticed past Kumuls have heritage numbers now, is there a site where you can see all the past test players names..their number and tests they played?

Lauta Atoi was from my home Island of Bougainville and played for our local club the Bougainville Dolphins. He was the best know export out of the Island. He was Kumul No:92

And you can find the list of all Kumul Players and their numbers plus matches played here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Papua_New_Guinea_national_rugby_league_team_players

The last players on the list are Alex Johnston and Daniel Russell who made their debuts last year.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Next weeks Digicel Cup Grand Final will be a repeat of last years decider.
Defending Premiers the Lae Tigers will take on the Hela Wigmen.

The Wigmen yesterday defeated the Rabaul Gurias 11-10 in extra time to advance to the Grand Final.
The Wigmen will be seeking revenge, while the Tigers will be gunning to go back to back again.

mikail-eagle

Bench
121461399_1484285565295402_1232819757175315932_o.jpg

mikail-eagle

Bench
The Digicel Cup had its Annual Awards night yesterday.

Player of the Year- Watson Boas (Rabaul Gurias)
Rookie of the Year- Judah Rimbu (Hela Wigmen)
Coach of the Year- Charlie Wabo (Hela Wigmen)
Top Try scorer- Solo Wane (Hela Wigmen)
Top Points scorer - Solomon Pukare (Hela Wigmen)
Most improved Team- Kimbe Cutters

Digicel Cup Team of the Year

Fullback - Joe Joshua - (Lae Tigers)
Winger - Solo Wane - (Hela Wigmen)
Centre - Benji Kot- (Kimbe Cutters)
Five-Eight - Mark Tony (Lae Tigers)
Halfback- Watson Boas (Rabaul Gurias)
Prop - Samuel Yegip (Hela Wigmen)
Hooker - Wartovo Puara jnr (Rabaul Gurias)
Second Row- Junior Rop (Lae Tigers)
Lock- Ila Alu (Rabaul Gurias)

paulmac

Juniors
Lauta Atoi was from my home Island of Bougainville and played for our local club the Bougainville Dolphins. He was the best know export out of the Island. He was Kumul No:92

And you can find the list of all Kumul Players and their numbers plus matches played here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Papua_New_Guinea_national_rugby_league_team_players

The last players on the list are Alex Johnston and Daniel Russell who made their debuts last year.
Just on Bougainville, when they get their independence - how strong would Bougainville national team be? Could they challenge Cook Islands for that last Oceania spot at World Cup?

mikail-eagle

Bench
What is the state of the game in Bougainville?

Bougainville currently has 2 competitions running.
The 1st in the old Provincial Capital of Arawa and the 2nd in the new post conflict Capital in Buka.

The comps regularly have a play off between the winners of their respective competitions to determine the club to represent the Province in the National Club Championships that is held at the end of each year.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/wigmen-avenge-defeat/

Wigmen avenge defeat

FORWARD and man-of-the-match Samuel Yegip scored a late try to help the Hela Wigmen sink the Lae Tigers 16-14 in the Digicel Cup grand final in Port Moresby yesterday.
Four minutes from fulltime at Sir John Guise Stadium, reigning champions Tigers appeared to have wrapped up their fourth title with a 14-10 lead.
But a brilliant individual effort from Digicel Cup prop-of-the-year Yegip saw the Wigmen avenge their defeat in last year’s grand final of the country’s premier rugby league competition.
The converted try assured the Wigmen of their second title in six years.
Papua New Guinea Kumul and Tigers star Edwin Ipape said the Wigmen had caught them off guard.
“We thought we had them but they did put a lot of pressure in the dying stages and they deserved the win,” he said.
“I did not expect them to play the way they did.”
Wigmen coach Charlie Wabo said his young backline had proved the difference.
“I commend my players for hanging in there to claim the win,” he said.
“It was thoroughly deserved.
“I am proud of our young players like Judah Rimbu, Solomon Pokari and Tony Wemin.
“I re-shuffled them during the game and I think it paid off well.”
The Tigers were the first to score through fullback Joe Joshua off a Charlie Simon grubber kick.
Simon’s conversion attempt was unsuccessful as they led 4-0.
But the Wigmen took the lead three minutes later when Pokari set up PNG nines international Stanford Talita who spun in heavy traffic before crossing over for a converted try beside the posts.
The Wigmen extended their lead to 10-4 in the 47th minute when halves pairing Pokari and Wemin combined to send Digicel Cup winger of the year Solo Wane over for an unconverted try.
But the Tigers equalised in the next set when Ipape threw a cut-out pass to Jokedi Bire who crossed over on the left edge.
With 15 minutes remaining, Simon ran a play on the left edge to see Bire complete his double.
Simon failed to convert as they led 14-10 until Yegip scored the winning try.