What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That is a totally different statement from your other one. Teams like Melbourne only really rely on luck for injuries. Other then that they train and play to make their own luck.
They also have massive advantages in recruitment and retention that mean they don't need as much luck either.

TheRam

Coach
He had quite a few options in the halves actually. Not superstars but at the time definitely better than Simple Jack, who was also a very good fullback. And replaced him with a winger from the Warriors who wasn’t a super star either.
I’m not an advocate for getting French BTW but it does have some precedence.
Also you want to know who else play small fullbacks? Both this year’s grand finalists

No he didn't if he wanted quality. Jack maybe simple but he is a quality defender and runner of the ball. So Sticky's punt was will Jack be good enough to be a quality link man and did he have a kick in him? As it turned out he did. But Ricky must have seen enough of him at training to know that he did. The only real gamble then would have been will he be able to produce it in real game time? Which he has.

As for replacing him with a winger from the Warriors, by all accounts he had a great attitude at the Warriors, but RTS and a couple of monster men were in front of him on the flanks.

But from the moment he arrived at the Raiders apparently he was a shoe in to be picked in the team from the way he handled himself and what he showed at training. Also it was reported that before they signed him, they asked around at the Warriors and the reports came back that he should be playing NRL but his path was blocked at their club and that he had a great character to make it if he got the right opportunity.

The difference, we already know what French has delivered in the NRL for us and we have no issue at fullback or 5/8th. So why would you take a risk on a player that maybe a total dud again other then a very basic backup type of contract and make him earn his place? BTW I don't think he would come here on that type of contract, so that is why I say no way to French. We don't need a fullback. That is our strongest position along with Junior in the front row.

We need a centre, one or two middle forwards, depending on how our younger bench kids progress and a 2nd dummy half that can play at least 20-30 mins NRL standard. If we can also pick up a speed merchant to go on the flank it would be a bonus. Especially if Sivo has a lack luster lazy 2021 like he did this year.

If we can do all that and Moses recaptures his form then dare I say it, we are serious title contenders if our coaching staff has changed enough and the new guys are up to speed.

IFR33K

Coach
Well punting Norman wasn’t the big risk, it was actually replacing him with a 19 year old (along with a rookie hooker), rather then go to market to sign someone with more experienced (at either 5/8 or 9).....after a spoon season .....,

I doubt many coaches wouId do that with their career on the line, putting faith in 2 players with only combined 9 games....

so yeah in my opinion, he does make the big decisions/happy to change ....

The combo wasn’t working. It was there for all to see. Don’t make out as if it was a master stroke by BA. Brown has been tipped by many to have a great career. Plus it could also be debated Norman should of been punted after his second or third infringement. You tend to have a fascination with glorifying BA. Punting an average to decent player with a history of issues isn’t anything to gloat about.

TheRam

Coach
They also have massive advantages in recruitment and retention that mean they don't need as much luck either.

Why is that? We can recruit whoever they recruit. They actually have a disadvantage. They have no juniors, we have thousands to pick from in our own back yard. We just don't know who they are though. They are smart enough to work out who the best are from NSW, QLD, NZ and the Pacific Islands.

We on the other hand have struggled at this big time and are just now showing signs of SOME improvement. So maybe their LUCK comes down to the best talent scouters and best coaches?

84 Baby

Referee
No he didn't if he wanted quality. Jack maybe simple but he is a quality defender and runner of the ball. So Sticky's punt was will Jack be good enough to be a quality link man and did he have a kick in him? As it turned out he did. But Ricky must have seen enough of him at training to know that he did. The only real gamble then would have been will he be able to produce it in real game time? Which he has.

As for replacing him with a winger from the Warriors, by all accounts he had a great attitude at the Warriors, but RTS and a couple of monster men were in front of him on the flanks.

But from the moment he arrived at the Raiders apparently he was a shoe in to be picked in the team from the way he handled himself and what he showed at training. Also it was reported that before they signed him, they asked around at the Warriors and the reports came back that he should be playing NRL but his path was blocked at their club and that he had a great character to make it if he got the right opportunity.

The difference, we already know what French has delivered in the NRL for us and we have no issue at fullback or 5/8th. So why would you take a risk on a player that maybe a total dud again other then a very basic backup type of contract and make him earn his place? BTW I don't think he would come here on that type of contract, so that is why I say no way to French. We don't need a fullback. That is our strongest position along with Junior in the front row.

We need a centre, one or two middle forwards, depending on how our younger bench kids progress and a 2nd dummy half that can play at least 20-30 mins NRL standard. If we can also pick up a speed merchant to go on the flank it would be a bonus. Especially if Sivo has a lack luster lazy 2021 like he did this year.

If we can do all that and Moses recaptures his form then dare I say it, we are serious title contenders if our coaching staff has changed enough and the new guys are up to speed.
I agree with you, just saying Wighton is a successful precedent.
Going the French/Gutho route would be an all or nothing gamble for BA. One with quite long odds

Gazzamatta

Coach
Maybe Ive got it wrong but I seem to recall Mahoneys promotion to NRL was a result of our 3 hookers becoming unavailable and it was a case of play Mahoney or someone who wasnt a 9. Lots were calling for his inclusion but it looked like it wasnt going to happen until DeGoise, Kritchard, W Smith were all unavailable. Im sure someone will correct me if Ive got that wrong.
Yes BA took a punt with Drown but Im not sure he had much choice with Rheed. And the rest they say, is history.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Maybe Ive got it wrong but I seem to recall Mahoneys promotion to NRL was a result of our 3 hookers becoming unavailable and it was a case of play Mahoney or someone who wasnt a 9. Lots were calling for his inclusion but it looked like it wasnt going to happen until DeGoise, Kritchard, W Smith were all unavailable. Im sure someone will correct me if Ive got that wrong.
Yes BA took a punt with Drown but Im not sure he had much choice with Rheed. And the rest they say, is history.

yes injuries in the second half of the year helped him get a started of the bench. By the last few rounds however he was getting the starting spot over King.

but the risk was in 2019 (not 2018) where he picked Mahoney as our top hooker after only 9 games.

Additionally it was in conjunction with a rookie half.

Gronk

Staff member
Not only that, they built a reputation of being winners during the time they were not cap compliant. They emerged from that with a squad relatively in tact and were still hard to beat. The competitive advantage was maintained via their phenomenal spine (they only lost Inglis) thereafter with comps and also recruitment.

Today players will go to Storm for unders because of the reputation that was built during the stacked roster years.

Gazzamatta

Coach
yes injuries in the second half of the year helped him get a started of the bench. By the last few rounds however he was getting the starting spot over King.

but the risk was in 2019 (not 2018) where he picked Mahoney as our top hooker after only 9 games.

Additionally it was in conjunction with a rookie half.
So it was King not Smith. Fair enough. I wasnt 100% sure. Ta.
To my way of thinking the enormous risk was going into 19 and 20 without a back up hooker and expwcting him to play 80 each week when the kid had only made his debut via injury late in the previous season.
We were also very lucky given Rheeds injury this season and it coinciding with the Covid break.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not only that, they built a reputation of being winners during the time they were not cap compliant. They emerged from that with a squad relatively in tact and were still hard to beat. The competitive advantage was maintained via their phenomenal spine (they only lost Inglis) thereafter with comps and also recruitment.

Today players will go to Storm for unders because of the reputation that was built during the stacked roster years.
And they'll stay at the Storm for unders when their families are settled in Melbourne. It's their only option. Meanwhile wherever Parramatta players are living, they're a short drive from at least half a dozen other clubs. They can take an extra $50k a year and their kids don't even need to change schools.

84 Baby

Referee
So it was King not Smith. Fair enough. I wasnt 100% sure. Ta.
To my way of thinking the enormous risk was going into 19 and 20 without a back up hooker and expwcting him to play 80 each week when the kid had only made his debut via injury late in the previous season.
We were also very lucky given Rheeds injury this season and it coinciding with the Covid break.
Whilst the backup hooker is an issue that is yet to be addressed, going into 2019 I don’t think we expected to lose all 3 of of our hookers.
Actually a prime Kaysa would be quite good off the bench in the current squad. Just tell him to run for 20 minutes.

84 Baby

Referee
And they'll stay at the Storm for unders when their families are settled in Melbourne. It's their only option. Meanwhile wherever Parramatta players are living, they're a short drive from at least half a dozen other clubs. They can take an extra $50k a year and their kids don't even need to change schools.
I think they should change State of Origin to State of Currency and give obscene bonuses to the NSW players. And no the Victorians don’t get a team. That’d give the top players reasons to play for one of the 100 Sydney clubs

hindy111

Post Whore
We're already going to have 2 non-capped rookies in Hughes and Hollis in the top 30 next year and Dunster with only 1 game next to his name. Reed has only just cracked 50 games and Dyl another season off it. Oregon is largely untested and will be expected to increase his minutes, and you may have to add Marata to that too. We have youthful players, we don't need many if any more. We should leave 2 spots open for pathway players to come through, but to suggest we need 11 of them is ludicrous.

We should be targeting unwanted players at other clubs, you can get them a bit cheaper and they've got a bit of experience.

How are Hughes and Hollis developing?
Why did Gus give Haze such a wrap. He looked so weak and small in his debut.

hindy111

Post Whore
I kind of think your opinions may actually improve if you sought Mik's advise. They couldn't be any sillier.

Your dumber then a box of spanners option has the potential to piss off two of our spine players ffs. For what? Gutherson was one of the top 3 fullbacks this year. So unless you are recruiting one of the other two you are weakening that position and probably pissing him right off in the process.

Then there is young Dillon. I'm sure he will take kindly to being told you aren't a play maker anymore champ, we think you are better suited to the centres. Hahahahaha...

Not even Arthur's as stupid as a deadshit boofhead opinion like that.

Miks just made 5k by picking a Storm vs Panthers grand final back in March. Cleaned up. He even shouted me a 3 piece feed at KFC to celebrate. I just went the regular. Didn't want to be greedy.
He knows his football mate.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The difference, we already know what French has delivered in the NRL for us
Yeah in his 19 games at fullback he won 10 (53%), all before he turned 23. In his 28 games on the wing we only won 12 (43%). He has also scored plenty of tries. His strike rate is nearly as good as Sivo's:

French 35 tries in 47 games (0.74 per game)
Sivo 37 tries in 46 games (0.80 per game)
Gutherson 44 in 114 (0.39 per game)

We need to take risks to compete with the big boys, and improving our attack at this stage means adding speed to the squad.

and we have no issue at fullback or 5/8th.
We need speed in the team, which French would provide, plus we might not be able to find an NRL quality centre to replace Mennings. In that case we need to manufacture one. Dylan Brown is best at running and tackling. He wouldn't be the first spine player to spend the early part of his career in the outside backs. When Gutherson was Drown's age he had only played four NRL games, and three of those were on the wing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How are Hughes and Hollis developing?
Why did Gus give Haze such a wrap. He looked so weak and small in his debut.
He looked a lot bigger than I remember him. His go forward actually wasn't too bad, and he flattened Gagai. We haven't seen that sort of hit from one of our edge defenders for a long time.

hindy111

Post Whore
We are banking on our attacking improvement coming from individual growth in Drown and Mahoney. Given their ages I'd be surprised if it didn't happen. There's a reason the best playmakers are all older, it's because decision making improves with experience.

Moses had 8 try assists compared to 25 the season before. He had his worse season in his career. I doubt that happens again.

hindy111

Post Whore
We are banking on our attacking improvement coming from individual growth in Drown and Mahoney. Given their ages I'd be surprised if it didn't happen. There's a reason the best playmakers are all older, it's because decision making improves with experience.

Moses had 8 try assists compared to 25 the season before. He had his worse season in his career. I doubt that happens again.

Latest posts