What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Crowd Watch

franklin2323

Immortal
Doing online only for tickets and having no walk ups hurt crowds.

As for the product on field being better. Hard to judge yet there were too many garbage teams. All were the FTA favourites which affected the ratings

this hit it up for 5 & kick .. kick ... kick shit is boring
sides spoiling near the line to get a rest knowing play will breakdown with a penalty & the captain wanting a chat to the ref to give his players a rest
So if the product is so much better in 2020, why are ratings down?
Especially considering the fact that it was hard to get into games live all year.

You would think ratings would be through the roof ??

I contend that a decent % of people don't want to watch a big bash version of RL through the winter months, where each team gets a run of 6 agains and possession (innings). I'm tipping the ones that love it would tend to be younger.

I'm sure in a season or two the coaches will figure out a way to even out the contest between bat and ball, unless PVL changes the rules mid season again.

I already hinted I thought people are idiots if they think the way the game has been played over the last 3 or 4 years was better then 2020
the slowing down of the ruck with wrestle & numbers & spoiling .... seriously ... you want to watch that ?
Teams concede penalties deliberately so they can set their defence. Its the ref going to the spot ... the kicker coming over to get the ball , the kick , the pass in , the tap. Defence is rested & set. more wrestle , more numbers in and smothering tactics , so we end up after 5 hit ups with a kick to the fringe
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

near the line , lying all over tackled players ... playing for the breakdown with a penalty & a rest for your team in D ... happy to concede 2 rather then 4 & 2

that crap has been eradicated
and its a good thing

mave

Coach
that crap has been eradicated
and its a good thing

I agree, my point being they have gone too far the other way.
NRL has always been a different sport to Rugby League.
2020 NRL is on a different planet to anything, other than touch footy.

And, If ratings are down, despite the difficulties in getting into watch live, I suggest that a decent % agree with me.

I agree, my point being they have gone too far the other way.
NRL has always been a different sport to Rugby League.
2020 NRL is on a different planet to anything, other than touch footy.

And, If ratings are down, despite the difficulties in getting into watch live, I suggest that a decent % agree with me.

when you make structural change to a game , you're not going to get it 100% right straight away. I think even if they have gone a bit too far its only because its new & not bedded in yet. I still believe the 2020 version of the game is better then anything we've seen in the last 5 years & 2021 will be better again & so on.
As for ratings ... i think it says more about the fickle fussy fans & them not even knowing what a better product looks like.

AFL ratings are up in Sydney & everywhere .. considerably

I mean
I thought it was impossible to make that game more ridiculous & less appealing , I was wrong , it is utter dross in 2020 , yet more people are watching & not just in locked down Victoria.
We have a better product , our ratings drop , they have a considerably worse product ... their ratings rise

the world has gone mad.

Big Moose

Juniors
Sydney’s AFL numbers are tiny, two NRL games in Brisbane all year were outrated by the Lions two finals matches and only just on Saturday. As they should with the massive free kick this year.
Will be interesting to see if the Broncos can turn things around under Kevvie and Titans genuinely emerge next year. That will boost numbers across Qld.

mongoose

Coach
So if the product is so much better in 2020, why are ratings down?
Especially considering the fact that it was hard to get into games live all year.

You would think ratings would be through the roof ??

I contend that a decent % of people don't want to watch a big bash version of RL through the winter months, where each team gets a run of 6 agains and possession (innings). I'm tipping the ones that love it would tend to be younger.

I'm sure in a season or two the coaches will figure out a way to even out the contest between bat and ball, unless PVL changes the rules mid season again.

Are all ratings down or just FTA? if its just FTA then you can hazard a guess why....

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure TV ratings are down, just that we dont get the full picture anymore of how many are watching on streaming these days. It has been strange that we havent sold out games with the significantly reduced capacities but maybe people are wary of being out in big crowds in NSw and Qlnd still?

I think the more open play has been a positive and generally moving in the right direction. There does seem to have been a lot of blow outs this year but hard to say if its rules, covid or coincidence.

Not sure TV ratings are down, just that we dont get the full picture anymore of how many are watching on streaming these days. It has been strange that we havent sold out games with the significantly reduced capacities but maybe people are wary of being out in big crowds in NSw and Qlnd still?

I think the more open play has been a positive and generally moving in the right direction. There does seem to have been a lot of blow outs this year but hard to say if its rules, covid or coincidence.

They've started releasing streaming data now , its about 50% of ptv numbers usually.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Was at the prelim at Suncorp. I was shocked how many Raiders fans were there.... I honestly thought Storm fans would outnumber us maybe 2-1 but it was more like a 50-50 split with possibly Raiders having the edge. Not sure how many neutrals were there, must have been a few. Lots of green throughout the stadium though. Great to see.

There are a lot of Raiders fans in Brisbane from the Beltcher, Meninga, Walters days. The Raiders were a defacto QLD team before the Storm existed.

franklin2323

Immortal
again
if you wanted to go , you'd go .... the extra week should of meant nothing
the effort of panthers souths & sydney RL fans in general.... was poor.

I think everyone that could go or wanted to go did. The extra week allows members/sponsors tickets not used to be onsold

franklin2323

Immortal

Yeah there are still people not wanting crowds. Also have people with other priorities but also access to tickets is a big thing

T-Boon

Coach
when you make structural change to a game , you're not going to get it 100% right straight away. I think even if they have gone a bit too far its only because its new & not bedded in yet. I still believe the 2020 version of the game is better then anything we've seen in the last 5 years & 2021 will be better again & so on.
As for ratings ... i think it says more about the fickle fussy fans & them not even knowing what a better product looks like.

At worst the 6 again rule has brought into focus how revolting the ruck has become under the influence of these coaches. It is PV going to war with the wrestle. Someone had to do it because the last thing the coaches care about is the health of the game as a spectacle.
I think the negative is that it makes the game a bit touch footy and imbeds the fact that the speed of the play the ball is the most important thing in the game. It also sucks that fans have no idea what the penalty is for.
I think instead of the 6 again the punishment for a penalty should be the ref marks the spot of the penalty, the count restarts and the defense has to have drop 4 defenders back to inside their in-goal.

sempmrh

Juniors
Disappointed that I won’t be part of whatever crowd figure is posted this week for the Grand Final. I travelled up from Melbourne for our past four Grand Finals and today is usually the day I’m scrambling to get tickets and flights sorted.

franklin2323

Immortal
Disappointed that I won’t be part of whatever crowd figure is posted this week for the Grand Final. I travelled up from Melbourne for our past four Grand Finals and today is usually the day I’m scrambling to get tickets and flights sorted.

Sadly those North of the border are the same boat

Jamberoo

Juniors
AFL ratings are up in Sydney & everywhere .. considerably

I mean
I thought it was impossible to make that game more ridiculous & less appealing , I was wrong , it is utter dross in 2020 , yet more people are watching & not just in locked down Victoria.
We have a better product , our ratings drop , they have a considerably worse product ... their ratings rise

the world has gone mad.
Good info here
http://www.footyindustry.com/
NRL 70m. AFL 75m.
Ratings fluctuate in line with how the local teams are going, plus Melbourne in lockdown means the 4 million lost AFL attendees are logically watching those games on TV. Reckon the only thing that might worry the NRL is how the finals have been going - AFL rating about 30% - 40% higher. And their GF at night for the first time probably means it will be the top rating program in 2020 rather than SOO. Other than that, not much change on previous years. Once you add in 3 x SOO, NRL will end up around a mill behind the AFL.

Latest posts