What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes but not much game time. Damn this no lower grades

That counts for whoever fills the role if Naden leaves. If To’o shifts to centre and Staines plays wing, then Staines won’t have had much game time. There’s no huge disadvantage in it, most teams will be going through similar things.

Crashtest

Juniors
They have? Where’d they say that? It actually runs counter to things they’ve previously said, Matt Cameron is on record as saying they’ll release players for an opportunity elsewhere.

I don’t see why you’d keep Naden around if he signs with the storm. Better to get another guy in that position ASAP, especially when we’re struggling to find a position for a few players as is.

Was discussed on NRL 360 during the week, and is why the Dogs are interested in Flanagan for next season.

Re Naden, if we have star centres in lower grades a season away, why waste money signing another centre for next season when we already have Naden signed up. If we can keep Burton and Naden for next season only, it won’t stop them getting contracts for 2022 and beyond if they want to go from that point on.

Crashtest

Juniors
The reason for the delay in announcing Crichton’s resigning is because he is waiting until after Oct 30 when his current management deal expires before signing a new contract.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...te-compliment-for-cleary-20201018-p56642.html

Panthers unmoved by Crichton delay
The hold-up in Penrith announcing the re-signing of boom centre Stephen Crichton relates to a management issue. The deal was all but done three months ago, but Crichton and his family want to wait until their current management deal with Mark Stewart expires on October 30 before signing the new three-year, $1.5m deal on the table.

Crichton’s value has probably risen beyond $500,000-a-season since both parties agreed a few months ago, and he is now on the verge of selection in Brad Fittler’s 27-man NSW squad. However, Crichton has given coach Ivan Cleary an assurance that he will honour the deal. The club has no qualms about the verbal agreement because Crichton, whose father is the pastor at Rooty Hill Assembly of God church, is a man of his word.

Whino

Bench
The reason for the delay in announcing Crichton’s resigning is because he is waiting until after Oct 30 when his current management deal expires before signing a new contract.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/he...te-compliment-for-cleary-20201018-p56642.html

Panthers unmoved by Crichton delay
The hold-up in Penrith announcing the re-signing of boom centre Stephen Crichton relates to a management issue. The deal was all but done three months ago, but Crichton and his family want to wait until their current management deal with Mark Stewart expires on October 30 before signing the new three-year, $1.5m deal on the table.

Crichton’s value has probably risen beyond $500,000-a-season since both parties agreed a few months ago, and he is now on the verge of selection in Brad Fittler’s 27-man NSW squad. However, Crichton has given coach Ivan Cleary an assurance that he will honour the deal. The club has no qualms about the verbal agreement because Crichton, whose father is the pastor at Rooty Hill Assembly of God church, is a man of his word.

Thanks. Blade has been banging on for like months it is a done deal. That is obviously the reason in the delay.

Crashtest

Juniors
Thanks. Blade has been banging on for like months it is a done deal. That is obviously the reason in the delay.

The other real positive to that storey is that he is honouring the commitment he gave to the $500,000 a season deal even though his value has increased since then. Shows his character, and also the strength of the culture at the club created this year.

The Realist

Juniors
Mansours defensive reads have always been pretty good. Reckon he'd go fine in the defensive aspect. His hands might be a different matter though.

What did I just read?!? For years he was not a good defender, even during his peak he was known for getting caught out of position. Players do become better defensively as they age and I'd rate him a better than average defender now on the wing - but he'd get absolutely carved at centre.

My take on Naden is if the club don’t see him as a long term centre then it’s probably best they don’t re-sign him. We’ve already re-signed Staines who is a winger in the short term, plus we have To’o & Mansour. I don’t see how Naden is going to get much game time on the wing without injury. With that said I do think he could make an excellent winger in the Blake Ferguson mould.

Jane Murray

Bench
Jarome Luai has his heart set on being a Panther for life, with both club and player eyeing off a long-term extension when formal talks kick off following Sunday's grand final showdown with Melbourne.

Luai is one of six Penrith starters named on Tuesday who will come off-contract and be able to field official offers from NRL rivals come November 1 next Sunday.

But while the NRL's new financial year will roll past, Penrith have Luai pinned as a retention priority given his eight-year halves combination with Nathan Cleary from their junior days and the Samoan international's stunning rise in 2020.

His long-time agent Darryl Mather revealed to NRL.com last month that former Rabbitohs powerbroker Shane Richardson had made "30 calls" in repeated bids to lure Luai to Redfern over the years.

Of the Panthers coming off-contract in 2021, Luai is tipped to generate the most interest elsewhere.

But given both he and Penrith are keen to keep him at their scrumbase for some time, any approaches could well go the same way as Richardson's calls when negotiations kick off in earnest next week.

luaij-202020_gp_54.jpg

Panthers five-eighth Jarome Luai.:copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"I'll look for Penrith to sign me, we'll see how that goes," a nonplussed Luai said of the looming November 1 signing date.

"This is my home. It's a childhood dream come true.

"I get to play in my backyard every day, train every day. It's about a 15-minute drive from home, not too far just down the road. I want to be here for life."

342 match-eqio->488 match-eqio->628 match-eqio->736" data-eqio-prefix="match" data-eqio-sizes="["<186>342", "<388>488", "<627>628", ">736", ">920"]" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: none; position: relative; display: flex !important; -webkit-box-flex: 1 !important; flex-grow: 1 !important;">
Match: Panthers v Storm
GRAND FINAL - SUNDAY 25TH OCTOBER

7:30pm

Home Team

Panthers

1stPosition

Away Team

Storm

2ndPosition

Match odds provider: sportsbet
Home Team Panthers Odds
$2.20
Away Team Storm Odds
$1.72

Venue:ANZ Stadium, Sydney

BUY TICKETS

342" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: none; height: 1px; left: 0px; pointer-events: none; position: absolute; top: 0px; visibility: hidden; z-index: -1; width: 342px;">

488" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: none; height: 1px; left: 0px; pointer-events: none; position: absolute; top: 0px; visibility: hidden; z-index: -1; width: 488px;">

628" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: none; height: 1px; left: 0px; pointer-events: none; position: absolute; top: 0px; visibility: hidden; z-index: -1; width: 628px;">
736" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: none; height: 1px; left: 0px; pointer-events: none; position: absolute; top: 0px; visibility: hidden; z-index: -1; width: 736px;">
920" style="box-sizing: border-box; border: none; height: 1px; left: 0px; pointer-events: none; position: absolute; top: 0px; visibility: hidden; z-index: -1; width: 920px;">
Luai laughed at the circumstances around South Sydney's unsuccessful pursuit when it was put to him after Penrith snuck past the Rabbitohs in a nailbiter.

"I saw that article and Darryl didn't really mention [Richardson's interest] to me," he said.

"I think he knew my intentions and where they lie. I'm a Mt Druitt boy at heart so I'm glad I stayed.

"I think he knew what was waiting for me here at Penrith with my future. I came through the grades with a lot of these boys as well so I just had to bide my time and I'm glad I did."

Along with Luai, the Panthers have grand finalists Kurt Capewell, Stephen Crichton, Brent Naden, Isaah Yeo, Zane Tetevano and Josh Mansour coming off contract next season, as well as squad members Matt Burton, Spencer Leniu and Mitch Kenny.

Crichton however is understood to have all-but signed off on a three-year Panthers extension.

Captain James Tamou will lead Penrith in his last game before joining the Tigers, fullback Caleb Aekins is off to Canberra and fringe forward Jack Hetherington will be released to join Trent Barrett at Canterbury in 2021.

Luai's presence at Penrith's scrumbase is a roadblock for the highly-rated Burton, though the club remains hopeful of retaining him despite the Bulldogs leading interest from several rivals.

remote.axd

Then there were two

Then there were two

In the meantime Luai will be front and centre of proceedings for his first grand final in person.

As a member of Penrith's triumphant 2015 under-20s outfit he has been at ANZ Stadium on grand final day, only to leave before the senior decider with his teammates to begin celebrations immediately.

Luai has led the Panthers team song for 17 straight weeks and shares a similar role to opposing No.6 Munster as his side's loudest extrovert, providing comic relief in a year when players have spent more time together than ever before.

The Penrith five-eighth has long been a fan of his Storm counterpart, hoping to mirror Munster's rise after his own breakout season.

remote.axd

May: I wouldn't be here without Ivan

May: I wouldn't be here without Ivan

"He's so instinctive. He's a big frame and when he runs the ball, he runs to break the line," Luai said.

"I want to be like that, I want to play what is in front of me.

"When I was starting to come into grade, he'd played a few Origin games and was killing it.

"I was like 'far out, he's crazy.' I'm thinking I want to play like him.

"He stepped off his left foot four times and made a line break, I was like 'I want to be like that guy.'

"He's a freak on the field and a good guy off the field. I can't wait to go up against him."

franklin2323

Immortal
My take on Naden is if the club don’t see him as a long term centre then it’s probably best they don’t re-sign him. We’ve already re-signed Staines who is a winger in the short term, plus we have To’o & Mansour. I don’t see how Naden is going to get much game time on the wing without injury. With that said I do think he could make an excellent winger in the Blake Ferguson mould.

I see it as being either Naden or Burton. I don't see how we get both regular gametime. Tbh everything Ivan mentioned May had over Naden so does Burton except for gametime.

franklin2323

Immortal
What did he mention?

I don’t see May as a centre full time, he’s not quick or agile enough.

Was done to assist attack and defence. I presume that is why Whare didn't get the start. Best defence out of them all but zero attack.

I don't think so either. Burton would be the pick for me if he stays if not. Go find one on the open market

Was done to assist attack and defence. I presume that is why Whare didn't get the start. Best defence out of them all but zero attack.

I don't think so either. Burton would be the pick for me if he stays if not. Go find one on the open market

Weird, I don’t see how someone can argue it assists attack. Not that May is bad in attack, his passing is good, but Naden is a natural try scorer.

betcats

Referee
Weird, I don’t see how someone can argue it assists attack. Not that May is bad in attack, his passing is good, but Naden is a natural try scorer.

It gives us another ball player on the right side. If May is at centre he and Edwards will swap for certain plays close to the line in particualr and May will attack from fullback basically, it happened on the weekend. I think you might be underrating his athletic abilities also, hes not a fast centre but he isnt to slow and he was involved in two tries on the weekend chasing and jumping for kicks, he was always a strong ball runner coming through the grades. It will be brutal if Naden gets left out I would like to see him play but if they think May will do better defensively then I can definitely see what he can add to the attack.

It gives us another ball player on the right side. If May is at centre he and Edwards will swap for certain plays close to the line in particualr and May will attack from fullback basically, it happened on the weekend. I think you might be underrating his athletic abilities also, hes not a fast centre but he isnt to slow and he was involved in two tries on the weekend chasing and jumping for kicks, he was always a strong ball runner coming through the grades. It will be brutal if Naden gets left out I would like to see him play but if they think May will do better defensively then I can definitely see what he can add to the attack.

He adds something different to the attack that Naden doesn’t have, but overall I’d say Naden brings more to the attack. Also don’t think he’s a ball runner out wide, he’s more of a middle ball runner.

Zampaa

Juniors
75% of Nadens trys would be scored by may, but the winger outside him would be scoring a whole lot more as may in the centres gives us the ball playing fullback in attack. There's more pros then cons with letting Naden leave early imo, and having may at 3.

Jane Murray

Bench
75% of Nadens trys would be scored by may, but the winger outside him would be scoring a whole lot more as may in the centres gives us the ball playing fullback in attack. There's more pros then cons with letting Naden leave early imo, and having may at 3.

Matt Burton would be better, that's just my opinion.

Kilkenny

Coach
Brent Naden has some defensive issues but he has not got the credit he deserves for a very good season. I hope he starts on Sunday night, if not, then probably not worth having him in the team at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts