What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Try assists:
Mahoney - 3
Grant - 5

Tries:
Mahoney - 3
Grant - 3

Run Metres:
Mahoney - 529
Grant - 1235

Tackle Busts:
Mahoney - 19
Grant - 24

Offloads:
Mahoney - 2
Grant - 11

Errors / Penalties:
Mahoney - 22 / 10
Grant - 9 / 9

Grant had a much better year than Mahoney.
Two vastly different quality teams and Grant also played less games. I think if you put Harry in our team his running game would explode.
Quality over quantity. Grant had a good season in a shit team. I’m not saying if Rheed played for Wigers he’d have had an equally good season but the implication that he doesn’t have a running game is wrong, he just doesn’t run every f**ken tackle like Grant does, but also I’m not implying that Wigers finished so low because Grant ran so much, but one played in a team with teammates that finished 3rd and the other did not.

84 Baby

Referee
Try assists:
Mahoney - 3
Grant - 5

Tries:
Mahoney - 3
Grant - 3

Run Metres:
Mahoney - 529
Grant - 1235

Tackle Busts:
Mahoney - 19
Grant - 24

Offloads:
Mahoney - 2
Grant - 11

Errors / Penalties:
Mahoney - 22 / 10
Grant - 9 / 9

Grant had a much better year than Mahoney.
I’m not here to bash Grant but you also missed:
Kick metres
Mahoney - 1276
Grant - 279

Tackles
Mahoney - 968 made 40 missed
Grant - 746 made 45 missed

So does Grant not have a kicking or defensive game?

Noise

Coach
I’m not here to bash Grant but you also missed:
Kick metres
Mahoney - 1276
Grant - 279

Tackles
Mahoney - 968 made 40 missed
Grant - 746 made 45 missed

So does Grant not have a kicking or defensive game?
I thought the discussion was around attack. I don't know much about Grant's kicking game. Maybe he does more short kicks compared to long ones?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Grant is a better dummy half than Mahoney and a better player even factoring in his defence. But Mahoney is a solid first grader, and will only get better. Obviously so will Grant. He will be the game's best dummy half. The Queensland 9 jersey will be hard to get. Mahoney could be the Jake Friend of his generation. He might even win a couple of grand finals.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Everything that Moses has copped since the Souths game has been more than fair, he’s the halfback and our highest paid player and he didn’t aim up. And when it mattered most he was as far away from the action as possible. You could cop it if he was a great defender but he’s a liability there as well.

I’m calling it, Moses out and Burton in!!!

Someone needs to do a poll........

IFR33K

Coach
He will only be better still playing behind that Melbourne pack. A dream come true for a dummy half of his quality.

Back on Mahoney, he is all quality too, I just wish he realised and made it a priority in his game that he needs to run. There are many missed opportunities that he is letting go by not running. Otherwise his game is great generally. But it would be so much better if he started to run.

Him running would also create more opportunities out wide. Teams know we aren’t a threat from Dummy half, unless gutho goes there.

Avenger

Immortal
Everything that Moses has copped since the Souths game has been more than fair, he’s the halfback and our highest paid player and he didn’t aim up. And when it mattered most he was as far away from the action as possible. You could cop it if he was a great defender but he’s a liability there as well.

I’m calling it, Moses out and Burton in!!!

Someone needs to do a poll........
My concern is not his ability, my concern is lack of vision and trying to run a football team that does so without looking like a headless opportunistic chook.

Mentally in the past he has been found wanting and especially when he was no longer the man, under pressure and not wanted and allegedly tanked his best effort. He was younger, less mature but the antecedents existed at the Tigers.

84 Baby

Referee
Him running would also create more opportunities out wide. Teams know we aren’t a threat from Dummy half, unless gutho goes there.
2020 stats per Zero Tackle
Rheed - line breaks 5 & LBAs 4
Harry Grant - line breaks 3 & LBAs 6
I am pretty sure all of his assists were from dummy half and most of his personal breaks were too (at the very least they’d be with him around the ruck).
I would like to see him do it more as well. Not because he doesn’t do it enough/doesn’t have a running game, but because clearly he is quite good at it.
But then also Gutho is a good dummy half runner too.
Also Gutho running has the added benefit of Reed being able to be the dummy half off the back of his run.
I thought from the Warriors game onwards he started to engage the line more which made a huge difference in our ability to make metres.
I reckon what he actually needs is a quality bench hooker so that he doesn’t have to conserve as much energy by doing things like not running. Or he needs to get fitter

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The criticism is stupid in the sense that it is being shoehorned into a narrative that just doesn't fit. Moses-goes-missing-in-big-games is the sensationalised melodramatic take, but the fact is our attack (where the spine earn their money) was much improved in the finals. It's true Moses was down on form but it wasn't in the big games, it was all year. Who's to blame for that? Same player, same coach. The only differences we know of are the Covid situation and his calf injury. Plus Andrew Johns' involvement. Any speculation about why Moses was much better last year than this year is just speculation. But saying it was probably the injury doesn't sell papers or make merkins feel better about getting their hopes up.

SneakyEel

Juniors
If BA is going to add anyone to our squad, we must get a utility/hooker. I think that most of our problems with our halves will be sorted if this happens. Mahoney never runs from dummy because he's tired from making tackles, therefore not scooting when he could. This leaves our halves flat when receiving the ball with little space making their running games both not as effective. If Mahoney is able to run more this should really open up the game for us and might give both of our halves more time to think and more gaps to run through.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Quality over quantity. Grant had a good season in a shit team. I’m not saying if Rheed played for Wigers he’d have had an equally good season but the implication that he doesn’t have a running game is wrong, he just doesn’t run every f**ken tackle like Grant does, but also I’m not implying that Wigers finished so low because Grant ran so much, but one played in a team with teammates that finished 3rd and the other did not.

If Reed had luke brooks and Benji Marshall, Josh Reynolds etc as his halves he'd rhun a lot more. Just like if Grant had halves like Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown he'd pass more

84 Baby

Referee
If BA is going to add anyone to our squad, we must get a utility/hooker. I think that most of our problems with our halves will be sorted if this happens. Mahoney never runs from dummy because he's tired from making tackles, therefore not scooting when he could. This leaves our halves flat when receiving the ball with little space making their running games both not as effective. If Mahoney is able to run more this should really open up the game for us and might give both of our halves more time to think and more gaps to run through.
He barely even needs to run, he just needs to get out of the ruck and engage the A defender even for a split second

SneakyEel

Juniors
He barely even needs to run, he just needs to get out of the ruck and engage the A defender even for a split second
Yes that's what I mean, he's a bit predictable he passes to either Drown or Moses, he needs to be unpredictable like Grant does which would take Mahoney to the next level.

Latest posts