What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith is the greatest rugby league player ever.

blue bags

First Grade
  • i

Darren ArthurESPN NRL Editor
  • Smith magic, somewhat soured

There was a moment with 14 minutes remaining in the Storm's comprehensive defeat of the Raiders that more or less summed up the brilliant career of Cameron Smith. The Storm were well in control of the game, leading 30-6, when Nick Cotric kicked ahead after making a break near halfway. The awkward bounce cleared everyone, but landed back in the arms of Cotric, who had just metres to go before the line. Smith latched onto the winger, pulling him to the ground with his full weight causing the ball to spill free. It was an outstanding desperation effort from the veteran, who had chased all the way after being the marker back near halfway.

Fit Koroisau eyes iconic Smith clash
Then, just as every rugby league fan the world over was rising to their feet to applaud the effort, Smith was seen in the ear of Cotric, letting him know how good it was. A messy push and shove ensued and a lot of those rugby league fans sat back down, remembering the animosity they harbour towards the Storm captain. As brilliant as he is, if he's not on your team, it is hard to like him.

With five minutes to go, Smith was given an early mark and walked a long path around Suncorp Stadium, back to the bench. The adoring Queensland crowd stood and cheered, many suspecting it may have been his last game at the stadium.

Google Play Store
• Download ESPN from iTunes App Store
Get NRL news and more in your inbox
• Head to ESPN's Home of Rugby League
Buying success: League's greatest signings

The "Six Again" calls were scattered and inconsistent and there was a lot of dropped ball in the ruck as players untangled themselves as ineffectively as possible. It meant for a large part that the Rabbitohs were unable to release their potent backline. It certainly took away from the spectacle of what should have been a much more open contest.

Fifth tackle: Rough night for young Fijian winger

Canberra's Semi Valemei was playing in only his 10th NRL game when he ran out against the Storm on Friday night. Like his opponent Suliasi Vunivalu, Valemei is part of the recent crop of talented Fijian flyers. Hard-running, fearless and lightning quick, they are the excitement machines on the end of many NRL backlines. Unfortunately for Valemei, it was simply not his night.

The Storms' third try, during their first-half onslaught, resulted from some terrible play from Valemei. The Storm sent a bomb skyward towards the young winger who stood beneath it on his own 20 metre line. Despite the oncoming Storm players, Valemei refused to leave the ground and the ball went through his arms and back towards the Storm players. What he did next was probably worse than the spilt bomb.

Canberra winger Semi Valemei had a rough night against the Storm. Jono Searle/Getty Images
Valemei started moving infield, without advancing, anticipating that Jahrome Hughes would take play in that direction. Instead Hughes turned the ball to Vunivalu who had Jarrod Croker ahead of him as Valemei raced back to his position to help. Vunivalu dummied to dispose of Croker, but still had Valemei to beat from ten metres out. He did that way too easily with a bit of a step. Valemei threw out an arm, spun around like a turnstile and grabbed at a mystery pain in his neck as Vunivalu celebrated another Storm try.

Just before half-time the young Raiders winger was positioned under another bomb. It was a typical floater that moved away late and Valemei didn't get a hand to it, the ball bouncing dangerously back towards the Storm pursuit. Fortunately for the Raiders, captain Croker was there to clean it up. Valemei made some strong runs later in the game, but the Storm continued to target him with the high ball, an area of his game that he really needs to work on.

Storm players celebrate a try, while fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen looks for a hairdresser. Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
Handover: Cut it out Pap
Ryan Papenhuyzen took the field for the big clash with Canberra Raiders with his hair freshly trimmed into a look that has parents across the country covering their impressionable sons' eyes. The new era mullet sees the hair around the ears shaved to the skin with the rest left looking like a possum skin over the top from forehead to the back of the neck. Kids everywhere are demanding the look, bringing tears to parents eyes.

At least the frightful look had no ill effect on Papenhuyzen's game, it may have made him a step or two faster. His support of Josh Addo-Carr for the Storm's second try after eighth minute, was scintillating.

Still, the NRL has to do something about the hairstyle that is spreading across some of the game's best players, with Penrith's Nathan Cleary also donning the look. These guys are supposed to be role models!

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/30144088/nrl-finals-six-again-mixed-emotions-smith-brilliance

Apey

Staff member
I love reading all the different biases in threads like this. You've got QLDers who like Smith, QLDers who don't like Smith, some that guy from my teams, some not that guy from that team I don't likes.

Smith's had the best career and is easily one of the best players of all time. Even as a Storm sympathiser though I'm hesitant to call someone the GOAT with the club's cheating casting a cloud over player's individual achievements. I'm sure there's a few players out there that could have developed into very successful players were they on an illegally assembled team of great players for the formative years of their career. It is what it is though, it happened, and he ended up a real contender for GOAT.

Would have killed for Joey to have Smith's luck with injuries that's for sure. Accountant f**ker seems largely unbreakable.

I love reading all the different biases in threads like this. You've got QLDers who like Smith, QLDers who don't like Smith, some that guy from my teams, some not that guy from that team I don't likes.

Smith's had the best career and is easily one of the best players of all time. Even as a Storm sympathiser though I'm hesitant to call someone the GOAT with the club's cheating casting a cloud over player's individual achievements. I'm sure there's a few players out there that could have developed into very successful players were they on an illegally assembled team of great players for the formative years of their career. It is what it is though, it happened, and he ended up a real contender for GOAT.

Would have killed for Joey to have Smith's luck with injuries that's for sure. Accountant f**ker seems largely unbreakable.
He is definitely a great player. I think he would be appreciated more by opposition fans if he didn't use unsavoury tactics. The bloke has been blessed in ways that are unprecedented, from great genetics to perceived favouritism from the officials. I believe the officials pander to him and it has helped the Storm win many games.

Wally Lewis could throw a 30 metre pass with pinpoint accuracy. Cam cannot.

Wally Lewis was deceptively quick for his size. Cam isn't.

Wally Lewis could hold his own against forwards and backs when defending without resorting to wrestling techniques.

Can Cam?

Wally Lewis didn't have a special relationship with the referee. Mick Stone hated Lewis' guts and treated him like shit.

Wally Lewis had the best kicking game I've ever seen.

Wally Lewis only had 5 metres to work with. Cam has 10m.

papabear

Juniors
Wally Lewis could throw a 30 metre pass with pinpoint accuracy. Cam cannot.

Wally Lewis was deceptively quick for his size. Cam isn't.

Wally Lewis could hold his own against forwards and backs when defending without resorting to wrestling techniques.

Can Cam?

Wally Lewis didn't have a special relationship with the referee. Mick Stone hated Lewis' guts and treated him like shit.

Wally Lewis had the best kicking game I've ever seen.

Wally Lewis only had 5 metres to work with. Cam has 10m.
I never watched Wally.

but for me you could say the same about Joey compared to smith.

smith has had the great career by far and is far and away the most consistent player, but best I have watched is Joey.

SBD82

Coach
I think he would be appreciated more by opposition fans if he didn't use unsavoury tactics.
This strikes at the heart of it for me. The most disappointing thing about him is that he is so good that he never needed to be a grub.

I could forgive a guy like Ennis because he needed to find an edge. Cam never needed to. Seems like he just does it because he’s an arsehole that enjoys it.

lazza

Juniors
I think he would be appreciated more by opposition fans if he didn't use unsavoury tactics.
I agree here - there’s winning and then there’s how you win. Opposition fans will appreciate greatness. If you watch other sports like basketball, opposition fans will go to games to watch a superstar play.

In ten years time we will watch replays and think - how on earth did he get away with that?!?!

I agree here - there’s winning and then there’s how you win. Opposition fans will appreciate greatness. If you watch other sports like basketball, opposition fans will go to games to watch a superstar play.

In ten years time we will watch replays and think - how on earth did he get away with that?!?!
I am convinced the only reason he gets away with it is because he plays for Melbourne. If he played for a Sydney club, Titans or Cowboys then he would have the book thrown at him.

Generalzod

Immortal
This strikes at the heart of it for me. The most disappointing thing about him is that he is so good that he never needed to be a grub.

I could forgive a guy like Ennis because he needed to find an edge. Cam never needed to. Seems like he just does it because he’s an arsehole that enjoys it.
He does it because he has psychopathic tendencies, just look at the way he stood over McKinnon nothing more to say really.

Latest posts