What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crappy Grand Final entertainment

Hutty1986

Immortal
Let's not forget the amazing halftime entertainment the last time the Panthers were in a grand final. The great Billy Idol, who was thwarted by a very unfortunate power outage.
"I LOVE MY FOOOOOTY!!"
"....JUST WAITING FOR SOME POWAAAAAHHH!"

Let's not forget the amazing halftime entertainment the last time the Panthers were in a grand final. The great Billy Idol, who was thwarted by a very unfortunate power outage.
"I LOVE MY FOOOOOTY!!"
"....JUST WAITING FOR SOME POWAAAAAHHH!"

You are mistaken. Billy Idol was the pre-match entertainment for the 2002 NRL Grand final which was between the Sydney Roosters and the NZ Warriors.

The pre-match entertainment for the 2003 NRL Grand Final was Meat Loaf, the Hoodoo Gurus and Kelly Clarkson. Following is from an article published by the Sydney Morning Herald (source: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/05/1065292479504.html) -

Before kick-off, Meatloaf bellowed, the Hoodoo Gurus rocked and a one-time Texas cocktail waitress - American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson - serenaded the likes of league legends Mal Meninga, Norm Provan, Andrew Johns and Arthur Beetson at the same stadium that will host the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony on Friday.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Can we get Phil Gould in some gallows and have every qld fan he has pissed off over the years throw tomatoes at him.

Do we have enough tomatoes?

It’s not just Queenslanders he’s pissed off. More the general rugby league population.

Expect the price of tomatoes to climb if that goes ahead.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That's what people said in 2013 with Ricky Martin and Jessica Mauboy. As someone who was there it most certainly was not the case.

Totally agree, i thought meh when i heard Ricky Martin was performing but Ricky and Jess Mauboy were fantastic, was very easy to bop away and sing a long then.

The_Frog

First Grade
I would rather listen to Dan Ginnane losing control of his bowels in the stall next to me after eating 38 bowls of Sichuan hotpot than listen to an ancient Jimmy Barnes incoherently make random shrieking sounds like a howler monkey with a pissed of centipede in its sphincter.
You've got a way with words young fella. But what if it was Meat Loaf in the next stall?

franklin2323

Immortal
The thing with the older bands. Most people know the songs Maybe 25% would know Amy Shark songs. That is why newer acts are bad choices

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well I dont know what people expected, considering its COVID and I myself probably wasnt expecting any entertainment. They got a local which was easy to get.

Amy Shark is a name thats been floating around for a couple of years, so its not as if its some no name or washed up rocker that hasnt performed for 10 years.

We see every year the same comments, "oh lets get AC/DC, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Jimmy Barnes". I mean take COVID19 out of it, would you really think some of the acts would come all the way out here just to perform at the NRL? As for Jimmy Barnes, no thanks.

Id rather someone play a couple of songs, move on, lets kick off.

Nuke

Staff member
I've nothing against Amy Shark, nor the circumstances which lead to her being chosen.
However, I was at the Fire Fight concert in February at which she performed, and as you'd expect by her style of music, it's not suited for a stadium full (or half-full in this instance) of people.
The more smaller venues would be more suitable.

Latest posts