What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kaide Ellis signs

Belta

Juniors
Don't call our soft forwards, soft, for that i hope Melbourne trample all over you..
Go Melbourne STORM!!!

I know some don’t like criticism but IMO if the shoe fits you need to wear it

If you don’t want the tag do something about it

Walpole

Juniors
I posted a month or so back that Jordan P could make a good lock. He carries back strongly, good front on tackler and around 95 Kgs. Not quick enough as a winger IMO, but can scoot a bit.

A few of the other posters then cautioned this idea and noted we need big bloopers not smaller and I thought ‘fair enough’ and I dropped off.

If Jordan bulked another 3 to 5 kg on that pretty powerful build maybe could go well. I am not sure how big his motor is for highEr workload.
If you look at the best locks currently, you're probably talking the likes of Cameron Murray or Jake Trbojevic, both who are 80 minute players, strong defenders and have good ball skills. Not sure Pereira fits the bill in any of those categories.

Belta

Juniors
If you look at the best locks currently, you're probably talking the likes of Cameron Murray or Jake Trbojevic, both who are 80 minute players, strong defenders and have good ball skills. Not sure Pereira fits the bill in any of those categories.

Yeah I was on the fence but that’s a good point and it’s probably another reason why losing JDB hurt us. Losing not just a good defender but also quite an effective ball player. I imagine that skill set isn’t easy to transition to and be effective long term.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons: Ellis happy to stay off the tools
Dragons Den
r0_0_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HARD SLOG: Dragons prop Kaide Ellis (right) says preseason torture sessions still beat being on the tools. Picture: Dragons Media
AS a tradie, Dragons prop Kaide Ellis makes a helluva footballer.

It's a frank admission from the 24-year-old, who was considering putting his carpentry apprenticeship to work back in Dubbo when he found himself stuck in NRL purgatory after the 2020 season came to a close.

After eight games in two seasons with Penrith, Ellis made a mid-year shift to the Dragons last season in an effort to get more regular first grade action.

He made a fair fist of it, but it was only when his former Penrith coach Anthony Griffin came calling at the end of November that he knew he'd be returning to Wollongong. Thankfully, it means he can leave the tool belt at home for now.

"At the moment I've nearly finished my carpentry trade but I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm shocking," Ellis said.

"The boys give me a bit of stick because they've busted their arses for five years doing an apprenticeship, I've done one in two years playing footy, and I've got no idea what I'm doing.

"Obviously the goal at the back end of the season was to sign on again but it took a bit longer than I expected so I ended up moving back home to Dubbo. I don't know if [carpentry's] what I wanted to do but, short-term, I probably would have fallen into that.

"You've got to plan for things but I tried not to give it too much energy because I didn't want it to happen. I sort of put all my eggs in the footy basket and thankfully it worked out."

While he's unlikely to lead with that in his resume post-football, he's hoping he won't need to use it until well into the future after signing a one-year extension, keeping him at the Dragons until the end of 2021.

He's looking to turn that into a longer extension after re-uniting with Griffin, who gave him his NRL debut in 2018. It'll be a welcome boost for the Dragons if he can, with the likes of Tyson Frizell, James Graham and Korbin Sims departing.

The club has added Poasa Faamausili and Daniel Alvaro to it's top 30 and Ellis is turning his attention to the healthy competition for a spot in the 17 come round one.

"It went a bit quiet there for a bit but once I got the call from [Griffin] it was a very easy decision to make," he said.

"I was starting to put a few [non-football] plans in place but I wasn't taking them too seriously because I didn't want it to happen. Footy was the goal, I wasn't done with it.

"He gave me a call out of the blue and asked what I was doing. I hadn't heard what was going on and he said he had a spot there for me and he wanted me to take it and it was pretty good thing to here when I didn't think anything was going to come from it.

"I finished [2020] pretty well. I made the move to play games and I achieved that goal, obviously that doesn't mean anything now with the new coaches and the way the club's heading, so I'm just trying to bust my bum now and trying and lock down that spot in the 17."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7064329/dragons-ellis-happy-to-stay-off-the-tools/?cs=3713

Maddragon99

Juniors
JdB was a better player than both Murray & Trbojevic

As for JP if he wants to play first grade he’ll need to reinvent himself as a utility or a edge forward

possm

Coach
It would make me very happy if JDB can be signed before June 30, 2021. I hope that is one signing Griffin is leaving salary cap space for.

I'm sure the coaching staff and Jack Bird know what they are doing but still worry that a stint in the forward pack at either lock or edge forward would be too muc for his recovering knee.

BLM01

First Grade
JdB was a better player than both Murray & Trbojevic

As for JP if he wants to play first grade he’ll need to reinvent himself as a utility or a edge forward
Can’t agree on any of those statements
If JP can’t handle wing in first grade well then it’s reserve grade
Can Murray was one of those players when you first look at was a born natural origin player

JDB and Jake are probably on par with each other but Murray a stand out better player than all of them

SnowDragon

Juniors
Ellis seems to me to be a CC player who has a chance to push for FG with some improved form (and some injuries). His lateral movement and instinct seemed a little lacking atm, but he may develop, and with Poasa and Alvaro joining Kerr, Vaughan and Laurie I’m guessing he’ll be good to add pressure at a basement price. Teams need these types.

that said, he seems solid and is a good bargain basement addition who will likely never disappoint

Como Connection

First Grade
Ellis seems to me to be a CC player who has a chance to push for FG with some improved form (and some injuries). His lateral movement and instinct seemed a little lacking atm, but he may develop, and with Poasa and Alvaro joining Kerr, Vaughan and Laurie I’m guessing he’ll be good to add pressure at a basement price. Teams need these types.

that said, he seems solid and is a good bargain basement addition who will likely never disappoint
Robbed of a try next to the posts last season.
CC

I actually think Ellis is better than that

I see him as a bench forward

With a full preseason I am expecting a much better performance in 2021