What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

matPORTS

Juniors
From what I can see, we are pretty much in the following conundrums with our recruitment and retention:

1. We have players whom we want to offload but don't wish to pay a cent more of their contracts (i.e. Norman likely in this category).

2. It's all slow going in terms of negotiating potential player swaps (i.e. Saab to Manly & Garrick to STGI - I wouldn't be releasing Saab without at least an equivalent coming the other way).

3. The players we want to recruit are all under contract and there is trouble in terms of negotiating the salary compensation and the on-going contract lengths (i.e. Bird, Joe O)

In addition to Faamausili, I think Bird and Joe O would be very adequate signings and then we can naturally move on some more of the deadwood and focus on shaping the squad for 2022. Lot's of risk with Bird but if we can get him right... tbh this is no more risky than when we signed Hunt on a 5+1 jet ski deal.

Regardless we should all be remaining quite reserved in our expectations for 2021. Any improvement made over the course of 25 rounds + watching some positive activity by us in the player market throughout the year we can consider 'successful' IMO.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...h/news-story/de61f2539f665723dc5cc63fbbcb1a3c

Very interesring article about the Storms recruitement philosophy.

Whilst we (and a few other teams, but mostly us) chase expensive 'stars, individuals that can, on occasions, win you a game. The Storm chase players who will turn their side into a star team.

Just need to take a look at who they've pucked up as rejects and turned them into.

Old Timer

Coach

Bayside Dragon

Juniors
From what I can see, we are pretty much in the following conundrums with our recruitment and retention:

1. We have players whom we want to offload but don't wish to pay a cent more of their contracts (i.e. Norman likely in this category).

2. It's all slow going in terms of negotiating potential player swaps (i.e. Saab to Manly & Garrick to STGI - I wouldn't be releasing Saab without at least an equivalent coming the other way).

3. The players we want to recruit are all under contract and there is trouble in terms of negotiating the salary compensation and the on-going contract lengths (i.e. Bird, Joe O)

In addition to Faamausili, I think Bird and Joe O would be very adequate signings and then we can naturally move on some more of the deadwood and focus on shaping the squad for 2022. Lot's of risk with Bird but if we can get him right... tbh this is no more risky than when we signed Hunt on a 5+1 jet ski deal.

Regardless we should all be remaining quite reserved in our expectations for 2021. Any improvement made over the course of 25 rounds + watching some positive activity by us in the player market throughout the year we can consider 'successful' IMO.

So much for the patience that was being sprouted about earlier. For a lot of folks, that lasted about a week!! Good luck handling the next 2 years ......

I like to think that the new coaching staff are more interested in working with our current roster and finding out whether it's non-performance is due to poor coaching or lack of ability. Given our previous game plans, it would be difficult to make that assessment. I reckon the coaches have a style of play they want to implement and maybe give everyone the chance to " get with the PROGRAM". Depending on how that goes, Griff & co with come up with a profile of what sort of players they want. Not a fan of 'near enough is good enough' style of recruiting. Bit like the missus going shopping for the sake of shopping and hopeful that she's come back with a useful bargain. If the cattle that wants to be here ain't there .... it ain't there. I think that's called patience. I'd rather wait until the Dragons show some promise on the field so that players will be falling over themselves to come play with us.

Personally, my choice of forwards would be fast, rangy, quick-stepping blokes with a driving defense mentality. Oops, my bad .... I've just described the Panthers pack. Sorry about that. So who was around when they were developing that pack of juniors? Was it Hook and Elliott, by any chance?

Dragon David

First Grade
I think that he was not agile enough to fit in the Storms very mobile forward pack . That plus he began to put on a great deal of weight and it was not muscle , but blubber .
I don't think that Kasiano fitted in with the whole Storm philosophy outlined in Dragonslayer's post above besides being of blubber rather than muscle.

He certainly was a man mountain and the Storm know how to recruit these big buggers, don't they although they could not get it right with Kasiano?

Hopefully our coaches can identify some of the "big buggers" to be enlisted who can be like the Storm's.

Dragon David

First Grade
Barrett in my opinion has developed into a great assistant coach. I am unsure how he will go as a head coach at the Bulldogs, but I am sure that the second time around will be better than the first when he coached Manly. He no doubt has been looking at all the pros and cons of the Bulldogs squad and made some impressive signings so far. The Bulldogs will jump up the ladder next year is my prediction.

I am also sure that Griffin and Co. have done a good examination of our squad and have identified weaknesses and strengths. Developing and blooding the younger brigade in our catchment areas will be one of their tasks and I am sure we have quite a dearth of good players in those areas who will become great one day. Just now need to get a couple of bigger, tough forwards to compliment our squad and what I want to say, please - NO REJECTS.
Barrett's Bulldogs likely to snare Josh Addo-Carr and Kyle Flanagan and possibly Matt Burton for 2021, if Penrith releases Burton early as his contract finishes at the end of 2021. The Storm is likely to trade JAC for Reimis Smith from the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs will definitely become more of a force again.

blue bags

First Grade
Barrett's Bulldogs likely to snare Josh Addo-Carr and Kyle Flanagan and possibly Matt Burton for 2021, if Penrith releases Burton early as his contract finishes at the end of 2021. The Storm is likely to trade JAC for Reimis Smith from the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs are closing in on landing the key signatures of Melbourne’s grand final winger Josh Addo-Carr, Sydney Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan and Penrith’s Matt Burton.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/4609368ff977f9e6b57f6889278aca81

redVinme

Juniors
Carrying over from a previous post, I wonder if the 'delay' in signing news has anything to do with the fact that most of the players we are looking at are contracted past the 2021 season and we have to wait 'till Nov 1 before we fan 'officially' approach/sign them.

Hope so

redv13

Bench
Carrying over from a previous post, I wonder if the 'delay' in signing news has anything to do with the fact that most of the players we are looking at are contracted past the 2021 season and we have to wait 'till Nov 1 before we fan 'officially' approach/sign them.
Agree. Pretty sure Griffin hinted at this very early on. I’m confident things will ramp up quite a bit after Sunday nights game is done

BLM01

First Grade

They are going to need more than that. 2 young halves with a meek forward pack
They have Stimson coming who did his ACL last year and Cotric
I would like to see how JAC goes outside of Bellamy. Smith is a flyer just like JAC..he will go well under Bellamy
Both have defensive issues that Bellamy can fix...but JAC great attacking ability and he is no fullback

redv13

Bench
I would like to see how JAC goes outside of Bellamy. Smith is a flyer just like JAC..he will go well under Bellamy
Both have defensive issues that Bellamy can fix...but JAC great attacking ability and he is no fullback
Agree abt JAC. No doubt his outside Sydney influences will knock him down a few pegs. The doggies are no Melbourne Storm on or off the field. Risky move that I’m glad Saints are not entertaining

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

IMO, JAC has gone to a new level in 2020- his recent attack on the high ball has been confident and spectacular. He has bulked up in the upper body and he now runs over people as well as past and around them. He's also making good defensive and positional decisions.

I think he is more than capable of challenging Dufty for our full-back position but it looks like we have no interest and will miss out on a matchwinner.

BLM01

First Grade
IMO, JAC has gone to a new level in 2020- his recent attack on the high ball has been confident and spectacular. He has bulked up in the upper body and he now runs over people as well as past and around them. He's also making good defensive and positional decisions.

I think he is more than capable of challenging Dufty for our full-back position but it looks like we have no interest and will miss out on a matchwinner.
See how he goes when he has locked in a new contract and is away from Melb and Bellamy and closer to his mates