What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

Timbo

Staff member
I enjoyed the series opener of Discovery, but Jesus H Christ they need to stop writing scenes where Burnham cries.

bileduct

Coach
So let me get this straight... They made a big deal out of Discovery having the first "non binary" character on Star Trek, and the character turned out to be a Trill?

Get the f**k out of here... This show really is for people who haven't watched Star Trek before.

Jack Deth

Juniors
Discovery is far too Burnham centric. She annoys the f**k out of me. She is a f**king know all.

More of Cpt Georgiou and less of Burnham would be perfection for me.

bileduct

Coach
Discovery is far too Burnham centric. She annoys the f**k out of me. She is a f**king know all.

More of Cpt Georgiou and less of Burnham would be perfection for me.
Burnham absolutely sucks, I will give you that. S03E02 actually showed that Discovery is a watchable show for the 51 minutes and 50 seconds she was nowhere to be seen. Thankfully we also got through S03E03 without her crying or displaying her typical manic behaviour even once.

But Georgiou is just a little too over the top and needs to be dialed back. No Burnham and an evil but non-cartoonish Georgiou would basically fix most problems this show currently has...

... except for some really shitty writing. So Earth just "forgets" about the people on Titan? Right, right... I get it that all the dilithium just suddenly blowing up would have really f**ked their ability to zoom around the place with warp drives, but what, impulse drives are f**ked too and they can't manage their own solar system? And a bunch of raiders from Titan become their greatest threat? Titan's long range communications get wiped out so they have no way to ask for help, but they still have ships that apparently aren't equipped with any comms at all (except for the ones that can communicate with Burnham and Discovery specifically) that can just mosey over to Earth to f**k with their shit whenever necessary? Who writes this shit?

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
I feel like I’m the only punter here enjoying both of these series.

I like Discovery but i also agree with most of the criticisms expressed in here, if not the degree of them

They have certainly taken a more "JJ" approach to the Trek universe

bileduct

Coach
An ok episode I guess.

Though it was pretty dumb how the Trill dudes were all like, hey Earthling who knows nothing about our culture, how about you jump in the pool and find your friend and figure out what she has to do because you're Michael Burnham and you're such a genius that you'll figure it out easily even though this shit is like, part of our way of life and shit and we already know how to talk her through this shit, but go Michael Burnham, you can do anything, anything at all.

bileduct

Coach
Michael Burnham's big galaxy brain to the rescue once again!

Wait, there's suddenly focus on character x who has previously only had a handful of lines in the series? I guess they're not going to be around anymore at the end of the episode!

Timbo

Staff member
I am getting tired of everyone constantly telling Michael how awesome she is. I'm amazed Saru has time to captain the ship with how doubled over he constantly is thanking her for letting him, the ranking officer, be captain.

What even was the point of adding Rachel Ancheril and David Ajala to the main cast this season? They've now both left the crew, seemingly permanently. It's just some odd choices.

There is so much to like about this show. Culber is sneakily becoming my favourite doctor in any series, I like Stamets a lot and the backround characters like Rhys and Detmer are really growing on me. But christ the writing - particularly the writing for Michael - is letting the show down.