What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timber sleeper retaining wall

Pommy

Coach
So I’m thinking about building a small retaining wall about 300mm as a raised garden bed. How long would you expect treated pine sleepers to last in Sydney?
There’s a pretty substantial difference between pine and hardwood and I’m not sure we would live here long enough to see the benefit of the hardwood.
i did look at the concrete ones but it seems like a lot of f**king around cutting them.

GAZF

First Grade
Filling the back side of the sleepers with rocks and coarse gravel also helps with drainage, then around 50-100 mm soil and mulch on top.

This limits what you can plant on the edges of the bed, but you can get creative.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So I’m thinking about building a small retaining wall about 300mm as a raised garden bed. How long would you expect treated pine sleepers to last in Sydney?
There’s a pretty substantial difference between pine and hardwood and I’m not sure we would live here long enough to see the benefit of the hardwood.
i did look at the concrete ones but it seems like a lot of f**king around cutting them.

you get what you pay for, if you are only building it up 300mm have you considered concrete retaining wall bricks

there are shitloads to pick from and easy to use

Pommy

Coach
you get what you pay for, if you are only building it up 300mm have you considered concrete retaining wall bricks

there are shitloads to pick from and easy to use

I have I think I want to do front and back of the bed though as the soil would go on a colourbond fence and it with all that it will be the best part of 30m. Just seems like a lot of time I don’t really have right now to be honest.

Latest posts