What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jon Dutton: Cup Delay into 2022 would be "last resort"

Burns

First Grade
The chief executive of next year’s Rugby League World Cup has conceded the event could be pushed back 12 months to 2022 as a “last resort”, but insists the current plan is for the event to still go ahead as planned in England next autumn. With the sporting world still in limbo because of the effects of Covid-19, Jon Dutton has admitted the tournament organisers have had to implement a number of contingency plans.

The proposals includes postponing for a year, although Dutton insists this is a worst-case scenario. “We’ve got a number of different scenarios from here, from socially-distanced games all the way through to a postponement,” he said. “But we’re in the very best shape possible 12 months out from the tournament, given the environment and the world we find ourselves in.”

He continued: “There are different models ranging from 25% crowds to just up above 50% if that’s what we have to do. But that will all be dictated to us. The final option is postponement by a year, and moving it back, but that’s not something we’re focused on. The worst case is that it doesn’t go ahead as planned and 2022 is a busy year of sport with some big events, so that would be troublesome for us.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...nament-could-delayed-to-2022?CMP=share_btn_tw

Given the state of the world, and particular the spiking numbers again across Europe - i've tuned out a bit towards the World Cup. I had intended to travel over with my old man and see a few games the north of England etc etc. But hard to see how it all goes ahead, and even if it should go ahead.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
At some stage the world is going to have to decide just to get on with life and not hide from a virus for the rest of our lives. COVID may be something that just hangs around in the background like the flu or the common cold does (yes, I understand it is more severe). At some stage the healthy will have to get on with it and the vulnerable take the necessary precautions and we all move on with life.

There’s about 1.1 million people who aren’t around to get on with life.

It will kill 2.5 people in every 100 who get it.

This is a long way from over.

Pommy

Coach
At some stage the world is going to have to decide just to get on with life and not hide from a virus for the rest of our lives. COVID may be something that just hangs around in the background like the flu or the common cold does (yes, I understand it is more severe). At some stage the healthy will have to get on with it and the vulnerable take the necessary precautions and we all move on with life.

That’s not how it works.