What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are the panthers all of a sudden so good?

GongPanther

Referee
So you are saying you, a salty as f**k tigers fan will find a panthers premiership legitimate but panthers fans will find it hollow? Lol what are you on merkin?
I read your earlier posts and like a lot of dumb merkins in this thread ALL they mention is travel and soft draw and injuries, clearly it’s bull shit spurred by being a jealous, bitter merkin. You’re an absolute moron if you think a draw, a bit less travel and injury luck leads to 17 in a row and a GF.

IF panthers win then it will be one of the best single seasons in the nrl era. That’s how I’ll be feelin. Smug won’t even begin to describe me.
The severe bitterness in here by a tiny number of fans is unfortunate. But reactions by most of the others is mostly banter.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Api is the difference.

Last year they started with Katoa and Egan (who may come good). Who both simply shovelled the ball.

Api being a quality dummy who engages the markers, helps his forwards go forward which gives the edges room.

All the young fellas being a year older and coming along well helps too, but the difference is Api.

betcats

Referee
Api is the difference.

Last year they started with Katoa and Egan (who may come good). Who both simply shovelled the ball.

Api being a quality dummy who engages the markers, helps his forwards go forward which gives the edges room.

All the young fellas being a year older and coming along well helps too, but the difference is Api.

He has made a huge difference for sure. He’s such a deceptive player, he helps out the forwards and halves so much.

Chimp

Juniors
So you are saying you, a salty as f**k tigers fan will find a panthers premiership legitimate but panthers fans will find it hollow? Lol what are you on merkin?
I read your earlier posts and like a lot of dumb merkins in this thread ALL they mention is travel and soft draw and injuries, clearly it’s bull shit spurred by being a jealous, bitter merkin. You’re an absolute moron if you think a draw, a bit less travel and injury luck leads to 17 in a row and a GF.

IF panthers win then it will be one of the best single seasons in the nrl era. That’s how I’ll be feelin. Smug won’t even begin to describe me.
It’s not all I mention though is it? I said they’re a very good team, who have also benefitted from some other advantages.

Are you seriously saying you don’t believe the lack of travel alone, compared to say Canberra, has been an advantage? Canberra having to fly in and out on game day, impacting their pre-match routines, and ability to properly rehab directly after the match and the following day (they’ve not been getting back to Canberra until 2am).

Why can’t you see that the Panthers not having to do that type of travel regularly has aided them, and could be a contributing factor to them not having anywhere near the same amount of injuries?

betcats

Referee
It’s not all I mention though is it? I said they’re a very good team, who have also benefitted from some other advantages.

Are you seriously saying you don’t believe the lack of travel alone, compared to say Canberra, has been an advantage? Canberra having to fly in and out on game day, impacting their pre-match routines, and ability to properly rehab directly after the match and the following day (they’ve not been getting back to Canberra until 2am).

Why can’t you see that the Panthers not having to do that type of travel regularly has aided them, and could be a contributing factor to them not having anywhere near the same amount of injuries?

In a thread about the panthers improving what areas of the teams improvement have you actually mentioned? You’ve posted heaps in this thread and not mentioned any improvement we made, you just a salty bitch.

Chimp

Juniors
In a thread about the panthers improving what areas of the teams improvement have you actually mentioned? You’ve posted heaps in this thread and not mentioned any improvement we made, you just a salty bitch.
Haha you’re almost as snappy as my Mrs....

Ok, so Api has improved the team massively - they’re also playing to the standard they should have played last year - so whilst they’ve improved, it’s based on a sandbag of a season last year.

In all honesty, I do believe it’s a soft comp, infact a very soft comp - realistically the only teams that could win it were Storm, Roosters, Panthers and at a push Raiders - the vast majority of teams are not as good as they were in previous years and Storm/Roosters/Raiders all had big hurdles that the Panthers simply haven’t had to deal with. Storm have been consistent, but not as strong as they are historically, have had fair share of injuries and the whole relocation thing to deal with. Roosters have had horrid luck with injuries, Raiders injuries and an awful schedule with travel. Of the rest of the also rand, Warriors have won more than expected, but largely based on beating teams that were a rabble, Parra had similar advantages to Penrith and also made the most of them, but were never a real threat, and other than those teams mentioned above, the rest have been shite with the odd decent performance here and there and were never realistic challengers for the top teams.
The Panthers haven’t had to back up tough performances week on week as they had a relatively soft draw, they’ve had no travel, so much more consistent game day prep and post-game recovery - Sport science is HUGE nowadays, and teams travelling have simply not been able to do their usual stuff, which surely is a disadvantage - if not, why do they all spend so much on that type of thing.

Whilst I’m having a bit of a troll with the ‘hollow Premiership’ stuff because you’re all so snappy, my points are genuine - if you can’t admit that you’ve had the rub of the green which has helped, you’re dillusional.

betcats

Referee

Ok, so Api has improved the team massively - they’re also playing to the standard they should have played last year - so whilst they’ve improved, it’s based on a sandbag of a season last year.

In all honesty, I do believe it’s a soft comp, infact a very soft comp - realistically the only teams that could win it were Storm, Roosters, Panthers and at a push Raiders - the vast majority of teams are not as good as they were in previous years and Storm/Roosters/Raiders all had big hurdles that the Panthers simply haven’t had to deal with. Storm have been consistent, but not as strong as they are historically, have had fair share of injuries and the whole relocation thing to deal with. Roosters have had horrid luck with injuries, Raiders injuries and an awful schedule with travel. Of the rest of the also rand, Warriors have won more than expected, but largely based on beating teams that were a rabble, Parra had similar advantages to Penrith and also made the most of them, but were never a real threat, and other than those teams mentioned above, the rest have been shite with the odd decent performance here and there and were never realistic challengers for the top teams.
The Panthers haven’t had to back up tough performances week on week as they had a relatively soft draw, they’ve had no travel, so much more consistent game day prep and post-game recovery - Sport science is HUGE nowadays, and teams travelling have simply not been able to do their usual stuff, which surely is a disadvantage - if not, why do they all spend so much on that type of thing.

Whilst I’m having a bit of a troll with the ‘hollow Premiership’ stuff because you’re all so snappy, my points are genuine - if you can’t admit that you’ve had the rub of the green which has helped, you’re dillusional.

If more travel directly translates to more injuries as you are claiming how come teams like Souths, west’s and the sharks who had similar travel load to Penrith had so many more injuries then Penrith? Meanwhile the storm who traveled more than any club besides the warriors are 100 percent fit at the end of all that travel. You are talking completely out of your ass merkin.

forby

Juniors
Who cares! We are there and the rest just can’t handle it!
There will always be detractors, but we have witnessed something most of us will never see again in our lifetime - 17 straight victories!
It doesn’t matter what anybody says, this is in the books forever!

Come on Penrith, make it 18 straight and shove it in the faces of all the rest!

Panthers rule!

Rude Ted

Juniors

Bronson Xerri says hello...........is that you buzz?

siv

First Grade
- huge number of juniors
- first dibs on any young players west of the Mountains
- large supporter catchment
- wealthy Leagues Club

Yes all important

But the return if the professional pathways took all of the to the level we see

Thise kids played well over recent years

With strong U16 then U18 then U20 then RG premiers which has now filtered into NRL

Chimp

Juniors
Congratulations to the Storm - they thoroughly deserve this Premiership. All the adversity of having to lockdown, the loss of key players over the years - as much as I hate them, they’re one supreme organisation.

And the poor old Panthers, couldn’t capitalise even with all the leg ups throughout the year and even in the GF with some VERY dodgy calls in their favour in the 2nd half.

I reckon I probably wasn’t wrong about the Panthers fans having a hollow feeling after the match. 17 in a row means nothing right now!

soc123_au

Staff member
Congratulations to the Storm - they thoroughly deserve this Premiership. All the adversity of having to lockdown, the loss of key players over the years - as much as I hate them, they’re one supreme organisation.

And the poor old Panthers, couldn’t capitalise even with all the leg ups throughout the year and even in the GF with some VERY dodgy calls in their favour in the 2nd half.

I reckon I probably wasn’t wrong about the Panthers fans having a hollow feeling after the match. 17 in a row means nothing right now!

The dodgy calls in the second half offset the ones the other way in the first half. The officiating was nothing short of a disgrace.

I'm still proud of the 17 in a row, but we shit the bed in a big way when it mattered. Hopefully they learn from it & come out harder next year.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Soft indeed.

They couldn’t beat a team above them in the Top 8 all year, yet somehow manage to make the finals......:flushed:

Well yeah, that’s what happens when you beat half of the comp below you.

End of the day Sharks won as many comps as the Panthers did this year.

Oh and we actually beat the Storm in a GF.

Someguy

First Grade
The dodgy calls in the second half offset the ones the other way in the first half. The officiating was nothing short of a disgrace.

I'm still proud of the 17 in a row, but we shit the bed in a big way when it mattered. Hopefully they learn from it & come out harder next year.

from the moment Yeo got away with that 3rd man in late elbow to the back of the head of player on the ground it was clear the ref was going to let plenty slide. Melbourne got away with a few high shots and panthers got lucky not having a player binned for a deliberate late hit.

The sympathy call with the obstruction try was a really bad look but at least it led to an exciting finish.

Panthers have to start next season favourites imo, if Cleary didn’t have such a rubbish attacking kicking game in the first half the result last night may have been different, also Kikau maybe too much time on the sideline leading into the game he was a mess. Neither could have such a bad game again,

panthers are now in a 3-4 year window (assuming they don’t go geniused like last time with the cash splash on Merrin) before salary cap takes hold I would expect at least one premiership in this time.

forby

Juniors
The disappointing thing is that the refereeing ruined what should have been a great game. Sutton and Chiddy went too far one way in the first half and then had to try and redress the situation in the second.
I am really proud of the way the Panthers played the second half and they showed that they can match the Storm and anybody in the comp. A bit of nerves, inexperience and some dodgy calls led to the HT score which was always going to be nearly impossible to reverse. But to their credit they nearly did it.
It has been a long road from 67 to now but I’m hanging in there and will be back again next year!