What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If the NRL held a press conference to announce that another 2 teams will be added in Brisbane over the next 10 years, and another 2 in NZ sometime within the next 20, then the game would be in great shape.

I cannot think of a better way to humiliate fumbleball than by doing the one thing they cannot. Expand internationally.

jim_57

Staff member
I’m absolutely all for a dig at the AFL, but has he forgotten a Victorian team picked their bags and moved interstate for the better part of the season to help keep the season going?

YeH bUt Strom are a QLD team anyway LEL.

jim_57

Staff member
If the NRL held a press conference to announce that another 2 teams will be added in Brisbane over the next 10 years, and another 2 in NZ sometime within the next 20, then the game would be in great shape.

I cannot think of a better way to humiliate fumbleball than by doing the one thing they cannot. Expand internationally.

If PVL is set on upsetting the AFL applecart then another team in Brisbane would be a great place to start. That would actually mean a lot more than some random pot shots quoted verbatim from 'Terry' sitting at the counter of the Culcairn Hotel 11 schooners deep.

Spot On

Coach
I
I’m absolutely all for a dig at the AFL, but has he forgotten a Victorian team picked their bags and moved interstate for the better part of the season to help keep the season going?

The hate that NRL fans have for Melbourne Storm would suggest many have also forgotten this point.

I have no trouble with PVL taking pot shots at AFL .
The AFL through its media has for decades taken potshots at RL with little to nothing fired back .
From the smallest player indiscretion to alleged serious crimes they have taken the moral high ground ...all the while ignoring or making excuses for the very same or worse in their own code .
They have blatantly lied about player numbers, popularity, etc.
So now
Finally we have someone who has a set ....who isn't afraid to fire back & it's seen as a bad thing.
Lol
Long may it continue .

Styles clash

Juniors

Stuff like this is why I can't see the V'landys genius others somehow do. How does running down Victoria when Victoria has a NRL team help rugby league? It's 2020; people in the rest of Australia see this shit.

Since he's talking about the AFL... something the AFL never does (let alone does intentionally) is talk down NSW and QLD and make them feel outside the AFL ecosystem.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop molly coddling the Victorians.

RL has been more than generous to Victoria. It has given them State of Origin matches, dating as far back as 1991. This was an insult to New South Welshman and Queenslanders.

The Melbourne Storm were parachuted to the top tier of clubs to ensure they were successful from the start, courtesy of three clubs being culled at the end of 1997.

No club has caused more turmoil over the last 20 years than the Storm, yet they get away with it and prosper. Players have been severely injured due to the unsavoury tactics this club has introduced into the game. As a spectacle, the game nosedived because of the Storm's delaying tactics, which killed spontaneity and creativity.

Up until PVL brought in the six again rule and got rid of the 2nd ref it was boring and predictable. That's why he has my respect. He's made the game entertaining again, just like it was until 2006.

Crowds didn't grow from 05-20, which is when the Storm changed the game for the worse. People want to see attacking football and athleticism. Grapple tackles, hiptoss tackles, armbars, chicken wings and holding the ball carrier up for a few seconds to allow your line to regroup is boring.

So add me to the list of PVL supporters, as he's done more to make the game marketable and fun to watch than any of the turkeys who preceded him.

Styles clash

Juniors
I wish people would stop molly coddling the Victorians.

RL has been more than generous to Victoria. It has given them State of Origin matches, dating as far back as 1991. This was an insult to New South Welshman and Queenslanders.

The Melbourne Storm were parachuted to the top tier of clubs to ensure they were successful from the start, courtesy of three clubs being culled at the end of 1997.

No club has caused more turmoil over the last 20 years than the Storm, yet they get away with it and prosper. Players have been severely injured due to the unsavoury tactics this club has introduced into the game. As a spectacle, the game nosedived because of the Storm's delaying tactics, which killed spontaneity and creativity.

Up until PVL brought in the six again rule and got rid of the 2nd ref it was boring and predictable. That's why he has my respect. He's made the game entertaining again, just like it was until 2006.

Crowds didn't grow from 05-20, which is when the Storm changed the game for the worse. People want to see attacking football and athleticism. Grapple tackles, hiptoss tackles, armbars, chicken wings and holding the ball carrier up for a few seconds to allow your line to regroup is boring.

So add me to the list of PVL supporters, as he's done more to make the game marketable and fun to watch than any of the turkeys who preceded him.

You're conflating Victoria and Storm

mongoose

Coach
Stuff like this is why I can't see the V'landys genius others somehow do. How does running down Victoria when Victoria has a NRL team help rugby league? It's 2020; people in the rest of Australia see this shit.

Since he's talking about the AFL... something the AFL never does (let alone does intentionally) is talk down NSW and QLD and make them feel outside the AFL ecosystem.

I don't think he's a very good business man...

hey lets antagonize and alienate potential new audiences!

Jamberoo

Juniors

He has done great things for Sydney horse racing but aside from getting the NRL going one week earlier than AFL (which made zero difference in the overall scheme of things), what are his off field plans to grow the code? Bagging Victorians is stupid. He has a chip on his shoulder about Victoria because the Everest will never truly rival the Melbourne Cup. You can’t buy 160 years of tradition. He has very little presence here aside from being made fun of occasionally. A drunk uncle. The Donald Trump of Oz sports. It is like he wants RL to exist in just two of the six states. The way he talks might make people in NSW feel good, and have a chuckle, but outside of NSW, he is not taken seriously and is probably not doing RL any favours.

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Australians and Western Australians, famed lovers of Victoria.

did you forget the ‘stop wasting money on afl states” comments? Great way to engage your fanbase in those states!
It looks immature, Trump’esk, unprofessional and not befitting the games leader. But yeh the Sydney rednecks will love it so all good eh?

the question you should ask is “does this benefit or harm rugby league?” Looks to me that all it does is Harm it, so you have to ask why he keeps doing it? Nsw racing agenda maybe? Can’t believe so many people have the wool pulled over their eyes by this guy and his conflicts of interest, but then Again Trump made President so I guess we should never uNder estimate the stupidity of the masses!

Last edited:

t-ba

Post Whore
did you forget the ‘stop wasting money on afl states” comments? Great way to engage your fanbase in those states!
It looks immature, Trump’esk, unprofessional and not befitting the games leader. But yeh the Sydney rednecks will love it so all good eh?

It's his whole Schtick.

It's a schtick that has worked in the past.

I reckon he's an abrasive twat.However

a) He is OUR abrasive twat; and
b) He has an impressive track record.

Who am I to not give a dude who did what he did with NSW racing a chance with RL?