What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
that’s not really correct, the players / coach has said the team can play what they see....and aren’t restricted.

And it’s pretty much supported by our offloading....Paulo is no. 1 for offloads while Matterson is 4th. Additionally we also have Nrown/Evans/Lane in the top 12 (That’s 5 players, the most of any side).

Thats not really a sign the coach is restricted the players creativity........it’s probably an indication of the freedom to play what they see....
Here's the one stat to rule them all:

Offloads
303 Eels
>229 Daylight
229 Roosters
218 Storm

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the team was exhausted by the end of the season. Playing middles for 50 and 60 minutes straight may of played a part.
Average minutes:
70.0 Yeo (26)
64.3 Brown (27)
58.0 Fisher-Harris (24)
55.6 Finucane (29)
55.4 Campbell-Gillard (27)
54.7 Paulo (27)
48.9 Bromwich (31)
43.8 Welch (26)
41.8 Tamou (32)
40.5 Niukore (24)
37.0 Asofa-Solomona (24)
33.0 Leota (25)
31.6 Tetevano (30)
28.3 Evans (28)

We could've played Paulo and RCG for fewer minutes if we had better support on the bench. Giving Lane some minutes in the middle undoubtedly helped, but none of our guys are 30+ like Tamou, Bromwich or Tetevano. Our oldest middle was Kane Evans who has never been good at effort-on-effort .

Gazzamatta

Coach
Average minutes:
70.0 Yeo (26)
64.3 Brown (27)
58.0 Fisher-Harris (24)
55.6 Finucane (29)
55.4 Campbell-Gillard (27)
54.7 Paulo (27)
48.9 Bromwich (31)
43.8 Welch (26)
41.8 Tamou (32)
40.5 Niukore (24)
37.0 Asofa-Solomona (24)
33.0 Leota (25)
31.6 Tetevano (30)
28.3 Evans (28)

We could've played Paulo and RCG for fewer minutes if we had better support on the bench. Giving Lane some minutes in the middle undoubtedly helped, but none of our guys are 30+ like Tamou, Bromwich or Tetevano. Our oldest middle was Kane Evans who has never been good at effort-on-effort .
Is the average calculated over 20 rounds or games played Poo?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not only offloads but passes before the line too, Lane has passed many times, set Sivo up for a try with a nice cut-out pass.

In fact we used to have a set play where our second-rower was the ball player. On the blind side, second-rower at first receiver, half sweeping around. If the defensive centre came in the ball would go to the half, if the defensive centre stayed out the attacking centre would get the ball. Was a nice little play, hard to defend from memory we'd usually get a line break from it at the worst, often eventuated in a try
But that was when we had Ma'u and Edwards on the edges, two old school 'inside centres'. Interestingly, on Twitter Gould said we need several improvements to our roster, including 'two genuine edge forwards'. Not sure if it was just a knock on Lane or on both of them. I reckon Matterson is a great defensive edge forward, and in attack he has all the skills. But there's no going past the fact he missed out on Origin.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think we did get tired early in the season - our game was based primarily on our forwards out-muscling our opposition, and we did that quite well.

But we went quite hard, for quite long, and didn't really change our plan, and I reckon we lost a step, or two.

Moses' injury curtailed a promising start - he lost a bit of confidence, and a bit of his finesse on the ball.

I reckon after a good off-season of training, and getting confidence back, he will be as good as new.

Mahoney was developing more attacking skills towards the back end of the season, which bodes well for us.

Dylan Brown never overplayed his hand, but was always dangerous - after an off-season focussing on his game, and with the confidence he would have taken from 2020, he will probably have a huge 2021.

We're honestly not far off where we need to be.

Imo, we need to look at:

* some speed for our backs (which is why, despite his flaws, Bevan French would be an astute signing)

* some bench forwards (our starting 13 is as good as anyone else's, imo; but once RCG, Paulo, and Nathan Brown go off, the only player we have with any punch is Niukore, and Marata needs some help)

The recent signings of Papali'i, Lussick, and Opacic are a good start - reasonably-priced players, who can do a good job, when required.

Papali'i will probably feature prominently in our 17; I believe we will shift Lane to the middle, to replace Evans, and Papali'i will take Lane's edge spot. This allows us some more balance on our bench - RCG, and Paulo,come off, and we put on Lane, and Niukore (it's not an even trade-off, but it's as even as we are probably going to get).

The biggest question may be how our defence works out without Jennings - he was a superb defender, and he found his feet in attack this year, and he will be a big loss.

Joely01

Bench
He was pretty bad.

Waqa Blake was 3rd overall in missed tackles in the NRL. Worse than most halves. Out of all the centres in the comp he missed the most. His tackle efficiency was 77% (which is f**king horrible).

In attack he only had 5 line breaks and 4 try assists all year.

No doubt, but he isn’t in the top 10 worst players to pull on a parra Jersey!
That’s a crazy statement

Kornstar

Coach
No doubt, but he isn’t in the top 10 worst players to pull on a parra Jersey!
That’s a crazy statement

Anyone who watched the Eels in the early to mid 90's cannot possible think that Blake is in the top 10.

Imo, Blake's issues are easily fixed (with consistency) and i think we saw it a couple of times this year, most recently the Souths game.

He has the potential to be a very good centre, he just needs to be consistent. He lacks follow through, when he is on (like in the Souths game) he makes good first contact and then follows through, like he enjoys the collision. When he is off he makes the contact but drops off easily, like he doesn't enjoy the collision.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Anyone who watched the Eels in the early to mid 90's cannot possible think that Blake is in the top 10.

Imo, Blake's issues are easily fixed (with consistency) and i think we saw it a couple of times this year, most recently the Souths game.

He has the potential to be a very good centre, he just needs to be consistent. He lacks follow through, when he is on (like in the Souths game) he makes good first contact and then follows through, like he enjoys the collision. When he is off he makes the contact but drops off easily, like he doesn't enjoy the collision.
He likes to use his speed in defence, which means jamming from the outside against an overlap. But what is often needed is to hold position alongside the three defender (Moses) and wait for the play to unfold. Then he can use his speed to chase to the outside. This is where Ferguson becomes the problem, because he either doesn't trust Blake enough or he trusts his own speed far too much.

Glenneel

Bench
Which is rather odd, don't you think? When you consider how creative Matterson and Lane can be/have been, to have a game plan where you don't utilise that and just get them to hit the ball up. Sure, they can both effectively hit the ball up; but they are both capable of so much more. Are the coaching staff restraining them? So often I see creative forwards just used as battering rams under Arthur's coaching. It's such a shame.
Lack of supporting the ball carrier has been our constant problem and the coach has not fixed it. Lane, Matterson, Paulo and to a lesser extent Nathan Brown all have good offloads in them and should have support runners with them constantly. RCG needs to offload more and Nrown started offloading more in the finals rather than be a battering ram, would like to see more of that next year.

Glenneel

Bench
I reckon Matterson is a great defensive edge forward, and in attack he has all the skills. But there's no going past the fact he missed out on Origin.
Probably missed out because Freddy has plenty of edge forwards to pick from, including Cordner, who looks shot to me. Don't think Wade Graham made the cut also, so did Freddy pick any edge forwards with creativity?

Glenneel

Bench
The biggest question may be how our defence works out without Jennings - he was a superb defender, and he found his feet in attack this year, and he will be a big loss.
I really think Waqa Blake's defence is so poor because the defensive coach has him confused. It is the only explanation I can come up with and hopefully that'll be sorted out this pre-season. He will probably never be a great defensive centre but surely he can improve markedly. Surely?

Gronk

Staff member
Let’s play coach bingo. Who could it be now ?

Slater, Sterlo, Gus, Joey, Gallen, Fittler, JT, Thaiday ... did I miss anyone?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/6251e27ea792114b4077027e7f2e6b58

COACHING CALLS FOR COMMENTATOR

There’s talk that Sunday night’s game might be the last for a prominent Channel 9 commentator, who is telling colleagues he is bored with television and wants to find a coaching gig. This is potentially a huge story if he finishes up at the club he wants to join.

Latest posts