What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane Murray

Bench
You’re so right, this is getting old.

Matt has a contract with a player manager, there is a very good chance that the contract sets out how the manager gets paid.

Even a player like Sauce who has openly said on many occasions he doesn’t want to play anywhere else, still had to get a price his manager was happy with.

Its basically how all sports management works.
Seriously, Luke why will you not accept that I have my opinion, and you have yours? You decided to comment on this, where it was not needed.

You’ll know if someone has stayed for a little less if the deal is short term, 1-2 years. It wouldn’t shock me if Burton did that, what would shock me is if he signed a 3-4 year deal with us.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Seriously, Luke why will you not accept that I have my opinion, and you have yours? You decided to comment on this, where it was not needed.

Seriously Jane, you impress your “opinion” on my post and then get shirty when I reply?
You then say that my comments aren’t needed? You were responding to me! I ignore the stuff you post, because it’s nonsense and ends with this. I only ever comment when you post against my stuff.

Jane Murray

Bench
Seriously Jane, you impress your “opinion” on my post and then get shirty when I reply?
You then say that my comments aren’t needed? You were responding to me! I ignore the stuff you post, because it’s nonsense and ends with this. I only ever comment when you post against my stuff.
Who said that I'm shirty? Solid, but, wrong assumption, yet again. It has been explained to you, numerous times, yet you decided that your opinion and only yours matter. Laughable.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Who said that I'm shirty? Solid, but, wrong assumption, yet again. It has been explained to you, numerous times, yet you decided that your opinion and only yours matter. Laughable.

Whats laughable is your ability to discuss anything.

If you disagree, say why, you never do, you fall back on the “It’s my opinion” answer every time, or, someone else explains what they think you mean and you agree with them.

It’s fine to have differing opinions, it’s frustrating when you don’t explain how you have come to hold that point of view.

If you don’t want your “Opinions” discussed or commented on, don’t post them on a discussion forum.

Jane Murray

Bench
Whats laughable is your ability to discuss anything.

If you disagree, say why, you never do, you fall back on the “It’s my opinion” answer every time, or, someone else explains what they think you mean and you agree with them.

It’s fine to have differing opinions, it’s frustrating when you don’t explain how you have come to hold that point of view.

If you don’t want your “Opinions” discussed or commented on, don’t post them on a discussion forum.

Hey we go again. Little Lukey is getting his knickers in a knot again, and trying to turn this around. Put me back on ignore, as that will make me day, after a victory of course. Oh, and I have explained my rationale numerous times, you just seem not to accept it.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I'm over it, clearly, Luke isn't.

I’m actually starting to think that Rhyno has started a second account.

I’m well over it. I just like talking footy and don’t like having to think about who I’m replying too.

For the good of the forum I’ll once again say that I’ll be letting your posts go through to the Keeper.

martielang

Bench
If I’m Burton & I can get significantly more money & a starting spot in the position I want to play, I’m going.

He might be a better bloke than me though.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
If I’m Burton & I can get significantly more money & a starting spot in the position I want to play, I’m going.

He might be a better bloke than me though.

Particularly if the offer is being made by a coach you have already built a relationship with .

Hooked

Juniors
what was Charlie offered? He tested the market, but we have no idea what he was offered.
Gus had to negotiate heavily with Sauces manager to make those deals work.

This is loyalty I like.

Staying power: Mansour's stunning act of loyalty that brought Gould to tears

Josh Mansour and Phil Gould sat in an empty Panthers Stadium with tears in their eyes.

Mansour had just knocked back a massive offer from Canberra to remain at the foot of the mountains. But this was no normal negotiation.
It was 2014, and Canberra had come calling with a three-year deal. The kind of money on the table was about as good as it gets for wingers. Life-changing money, in fact.

Penrith could not match it. Not even close.

Gould tried to break the news to Mansour, even telling him he had to accept the offer, that it was too good to pass up. But the bearded winger was having none of it.

Mansour wanted to stay.

He told Gould he would settle for less to stay and to make him an offer. Gould said the Panthers simply couldn't find that sort of money.

Mansour begged him to stay and Gould found some money.

In the end, Mansour settled for barely half the amount he could have earned in Canberra.

But he was happy. He was home.

"Do I remember that conversation with Gus? I'll never forget it," Mansour tells The Sun-Herald. "We were sitting in the player dugout at the stadium. It was just me and him. The negotiations had kept going back and forth with the club and Gus said to me, 'You should take this Canberra deal, it's a great deal'.

"But I kept telling him, 'I don't want to leave' and 'Do what you can, I love this club too much'.

"Penrith had handed me my dream to play in the NRL. I wanted to repay the club for giving me that.

"I got emotional. So did Gus. There were tears in the eyes. Everyone was telling me to go to Canberra. Gus did. So did my manager. Everyone except me."
Mansour gave up more than $500,000 over the three years of the deal to stay.

Raiders boss Don Furner remembers it well too. It was a tough period for the Raiders. But he appreciated Mansour going to the effort of contacting him personally. Furner says he can count on the one hand the number of players who have actually bothered to break the bad news themselves.

It says a lot about Mansour's upbringing – and it says a lot about his loyalty.

"It was tough call because I knew how much I was giving up," Mansour says. "I've always been loyal. I'll do anything for my mates and teammates. If someone does right by me, I want to repay them tenfold.

"As soon as I laced up my boots for the first time as a kid, all I wanted to do was play in the NRL.

"I thought that dream was going to be with Souths. I wanted nothing more than to play for South Sydney. I came through their juniors, had a lot of mates there. We had a lot of success in the under-20s.

"Then Penrith gave me my dream. This is home."

Born to a Lebanese father and Portuguese mother whose hearts were crushed when their son chose rugby league over football – Mansour was a talented striker who started out at Lakemba Sports, the one-time home of Tim Cahill – the 30-year-old is the longest-serving Panther involved in Sunday's grand final.

Mansour is off contract at the end of next season and knows the club will need to weigh up experience versus youth.

Charlie Staines has a huge future and already knocked back Canterbury to recommit to the Panthers. He's known as the "Ferrari" because of his blistering speed. If Staines is the flashy Italian sports car, Mansour is the trusty Holden that shows no signs of burning out.

Staines won't find it easy to unseat the veteran. Mansour has bounced back into form this year along with fellow winger Brian To'o. The Penrith wide men are not the biggest, but have huge engines and have been key in getting the Panthers on the front foot in the club's 17-game win streak by taking the first and second hit-ups in the tackle count. They were awesome last Saturday against Souths.

Playing outside rookie centre Stephen Crichton has also given Mansour a new lease of life.

"I'll keep playing as long as my body allows me to play," says Mansour, who has overcome some shocking injuries in recent years, including an ACL he ruptured while on a Kangaroos tour and multiple facial fractures suffered in a collision in 2018.

He might be the Panthers' longest-serving player but sadly Mansour remains a shocking singer and the only Penrith player to botch the words to the team song – despite the team singing it 17 straight games in a row this season.

"It was my 150th, I had to lead the team song, but I crumbled under the pressure," he says. "The boys were squirting water in my face and I ended up going too fast. I stuffed it up."

A small stuff up in the scheme of things, and one easily forgotten if he gets to sing the song alonside the the Provan-Summons Trophy on Sunday night.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...t-brought-gould-to-tears-20201023-p567yp.html

Luke Bowden

First Grade
This is loyalty I like.

Staying power: Mansour's stunning act of loyalty that brought Gould to tears

Josh Mansour and Phil Gould sat in an empty Panthers Stadium with tears in their eyes.

Mansour had just knocked back a massive offer from Canberra to remain at the foot of the mountains. But this was no normal negotiation.
It was 2014, and Canberra had come calling with a three-year deal. The kind of money on the table was about as good as it gets for wingers. Life-changing money, in fact.

Penrith could not match it. Not even close.

Gould tried to break the news to Mansour, even telling him he had to accept the offer, that it was too good to pass up. But the bearded winger was having none of it.

Mansour wanted to stay.

He told Gould he would settle for less to stay and to make him an offer. Gould said the Panthers simply couldn't find that sort of money.

Mansour begged him to stay and Gould found some money.

In the end, Mansour settled for barely half the amount he could have earned in Canberra.

But he was happy. He was home.

"Do I remember that conversation with Gus? I'll never forget it," Mansour tells The Sun-Herald. "We were sitting in the player dugout at the stadium. It was just me and him. The negotiations had kept going back and forth with the club and Gus said to me, 'You should take this Canberra deal, it's a great deal'.

"But I kept telling him, 'I don't want to leave' and 'Do what you can, I love this club too much'.

"Penrith had handed me my dream to play in the NRL. I wanted to repay the club for giving me that.

"I got emotional. So did Gus. There were tears in the eyes. Everyone was telling me to go to Canberra. Gus did. So did my manager. Everyone except me."
Mansour gave up more than $500,000 over the three years of the deal to stay.

Raiders boss Don Furner remembers it well too. It was a tough period for the Raiders. But he appreciated Mansour going to the effort of contacting him personally. Furner says he can count on the one hand the number of players who have actually bothered to break the bad news themselves.

It says a lot about Mansour's upbringing – and it says a lot about his loyalty.

"It was tough call because I knew how much I was giving up," Mansour says. "I've always been loyal. I'll do anything for my mates and teammates. If someone does right by me, I want to repay them tenfold.

"As soon as I laced up my boots for the first time as a kid, all I wanted to do was play in the NRL.

"I thought that dream was going to be with Souths. I wanted nothing more than to play for South Sydney. I came through their juniors, had a lot of mates there. We had a lot of success in the under-20s.

"Then Penrith gave me my dream. This is home."

Born to a Lebanese father and Portuguese mother whose hearts were crushed when their son chose rugby league over football – Mansour was a talented striker who started out at Lakemba Sports, the one-time home of Tim Cahill – the 30-year-old is the longest-serving Panther involved in Sunday's grand final.

Mansour is off contract at the end of next season and knows the club will need to weigh up experience versus youth.

Charlie Staines has a huge future and already knocked back Canterbury to recommit to the Panthers. He's known as the "Ferrari" because of his blistering speed. If Staines is the flashy Italian sports car, Mansour is the trusty Holden that shows no signs of burning out.

Staines won't find it easy to unseat the veteran. Mansour has bounced back into form this year along with fellow winger Brian To'o. The Penrith wide men are not the biggest, but have huge engines and have been key in getting the Panthers on the front foot in the club's 17-game win streak by taking the first and second hit-ups in the tackle count. They were awesome last Saturday against Souths.

Playing outside rookie centre Stephen Crichton has also given Mansour a new lease of life.

"I'll keep playing as long as my body allows me to play," says Mansour, who has overcome some shocking injuries in recent years, including an ACL he ruptured while on a Kangaroos tour and multiple facial fractures suffered in a collision in 2018.

He might be the Panthers' longest-serving player but sadly Mansour remains a shocking singer and the only Penrith player to botch the words to the team song – despite the team singing it 17 straight games in a row this season.

"It was my 150th, I had to lead the team song, but I crumbled under the pressure," he says. "The boys were squirting water in my face and I ended up going too fast. I stuffed it up."

A small stuff up in the scheme of things, and one easily forgotten if he gets to sing the song alonside the the Provan-Summons Trophy on Sunday night.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...t-brought-gould-to-tears-20201023-p567yp.html

Yeah I 100% agree, but Gus had to bust his arse to get this deal to work, with both the Player manager and the NRL.

He spoke about it on the radio.

Its not as simple as, he wants to stay, we can pay him peanuts. There is still a minimum that has to be established.

My concern is, that the minimum it’s going to take to keep Burton, may still not fit under our cap.

It doesn’t have that much to do with loyalty, if it did, our squad would be set for the next 10years.

Hooked

Juniors
Yeah I 100% agree, but Gus had to bust his arse to get this deal to work, with both the Player manager and the NRL.

He spoke about it on the radio.

Its not as simple as, he wants to stay, we can pay him peanuts. There is still a minimum that has to be established.

My concern is, that the minimum it’s going to take to keep Burton, may still not fit under our cap.

It doesn’t have that much to do with loyalty, if it did, our squad would be set for the next 10years.

Mansour's heart was in the club. He wanted to stay. He took a pay cut and they found a way to make it happen.

If Burton wants to really stay and play another position, he will stay. He will shun other clubs prepared to pay more to stay. Because he loves the club and wants to be part of a successful club and believes in the club's future for him. I am sure a fair offer from us can be made.
If he really wants to play in the halves, he will go. Not much we can do about that.

Original Name

Juniors
I’m a little confused, are you saying May is better at centre or as a utility on the bench?
I'm saying he used to play utility coming on playing somewhere in the forwards besides the one match Whare was injured and he played centre. You made a comment about his try assist in his games as a centre in contrasts to the 8 or something like that he got playing in off the bench at lock forward, hooker, second row etc.

I'm saying we've got to put those stats in perspective considering the teams he played against then.

WestyLife

First Grade

Happens regularly. You'll get a reply then accused of something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts