What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

St Tangles

Bench
He's a better fullback than Dufty IMO. At least he isnt afraid of the high ball or to put his body on the line and he has done a job for Manly every time Tommy Turbo gets his annual injury.

I read Bevan French wants to come back to Oz after 3 seasons at Wigan, I wouldn't mind seeing us have a go at him if it means getting rid of Dufty.

Bevan French is ordinary and so is Elliot

I'd rather our young blokes get too grade experience

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Bevan French is ordinary and so is Elliot

I'd rather our young blokes get too grade experience

Ordinary? French has scored 36 tries in 47 NRL games and 14 tries in 18 games for Wigan. He had six clubs (including us) trying to recruit him to their NYC teams back in 2013, I don't know how that's ordinary in any sense of the word.

As for Elliot, I don't really care for him but there's certainly a lot of worse players out there and we could do a lot worse than him as our fullback.

SnowDragon

Juniors
What’s with the Dufty hate?
I understand some of the deficiencies, but he had a great year. I’m not just indicating wrt attack, but he has garnered more steel in his defence over time, and we rely on his creativity. We should be putting our coin into the youth, and a few solid forwards.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Ordinary? French has scored 36 tries in 47 NRL games and 14 tries in 18 games for Wigan. He had six clubs (including us) trying to recruit him to their NYC teams back in 2013, I don't know how that's ordinary in any sense of the word.

As for Elliot, I don't really care for him but there's certainly a lot of worse players out there and we could do a lot worse than him as our fullback.
Dufty os a superior attacking weapon and that makes him more valuable than Elliott.
Dont want Elliott...but French with his speed on the wing....worth pondering

I'm Hornby

Juniors
What’s with the Dusty hate?
I understand some of the deficiencies, but he had a great year. I’m not just indicating wrt attack, but he has garnered more steel in his defence over time, and we rely on his creativity. We should be putting our coin into the youth, and a few solid forwards.

I disagree, his defence has always been a weak point and he has never improved it.

He lets bombs bounce almost every time there is a decent kick chase and whenever the opposition make a line break he will run in the other direction as if he fell for the dummy pass instead of trying to make a tackle.

Id prefer a fullback like Dylan Edwards at Penrith who is solid defensively and can catch the footy.

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin: We’d certainly look at Jack
7 hours ago 3:22 pm / 05:21
Continuous Call Team
NRLrugby league featured
Anthony “Hook” Griffin is the incoming St George Illawarra Dragons coach and has his eyes set on Brisbane Broncos centre Jack Bird.

The Wollongong local would be a great addition to the Red V after a season filled with drama on and off the field.

Hook says he’s eager to start with the Dragons saying they are a “really well” put together organisation.

“(I’m) Looking forward to getting down to Wollongong,” says Griffin.

Speaking on aspirations to bring Bird to the Dragons, Griffin says he’s done all he can and it’s up to the Broncos now.

“The ball is fairly and squarely in the Broncos court,

“If it fits into our salary cap we’d certainly look at Jack… The dark art of roster management is underway.”

https://www.4bc.com.au/podcast/anthony-griffin-wed-certainly-look-at-jack/

St Tangles

Bench

You think Dufty is ordinary in defence wait until you see French try and tackle someone.

Elliot and French are not what we need to improve our team.

blacksafake

First Grade
Anthony Griffin: We’d certainly look at Jack
7 hours ago 3:22 pm / 05:21
Continuous Call Team
NRLrugby league featured
Anthony “Hook” Griffin is the incoming St George Illawarra Dragons coach and has his eyes set on Brisbane Broncos centre Jack Bird.

The Wollongong local would be a great addition to the Red V after a season filled with drama on and off the field.

Hook says he’s eager to start with the Dragons saying they are a “really well” put together organisation.

“(I’m) Looking forward to getting down to Wollongong,” says Griffin.

Speaking on aspirations to bring Bird to the Dragons, Griffin says he’s done all he can and it’s up to the Broncos now.

“The ball is fairly and squarely in the Broncos court,

“If it fits into our salary cap we’d certainly look at Jack… The dark art of roster management is underway.”

https://www.4bc.com.au/podcast/anthony-griffin-wed-certainly-look-at-jack/
Sounds like Hook is playing hardball but putting the onus onto the broncos.
About time someone at the club did.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If he’s going cheap I’d entertain James Roberts. But he would know that he has to earn his spot in CC and probably give his injuries a bit of rehab plus put in a good off season.

getsmarty

Immortal
iu

kit66

Bench
He's a better fullback than Dufty IMO. At least he isnt afraid of the high ball or to put his body on the line and he has done a job for Manly every time Tommy Turbo gets his annual injury.

I read Bevan French wants to come back to Oz after 3 seasons at Wigan, I wouldn't mind seeing us have a go at him if it means getting rid of Dufty.

Why would you get rid of Dufty ,our best , most dangerous player ? In what way is Elliot better than Dufty I'd love to hear it ? Dufty's stats are right up there with Papenhuyzen, Trys, try assists, kick return metres, tackle beaks, line breaks, in fact if he played fb for Storm he'd be as good as Pap if not better behind that pack and with a great coach and the goat. Elliot is absolute sh*t in comparison.
I'd be basing the whole team composition in 2021 around Dufty and Zac ( provided Zac can get the errors out of his game ). Start with those two and build from there. Add Vaughan, McInnes, Lawrie, T.Sims, Ford and the rest of the spots are up for grabs. The very last thing I'd be doing is wasting Fullback dollars when we need 2 x top shelf props, another good 2nd rower and maybe an established centre in case the young guys coming through need more time. I'm not impressed with any of our halves for next year either but again we need the money for other things and hopefully Hook can get Hunt & co firing.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Why would you get rid of Dufty ,our best , most dangerous player ? In what way is Elliot better than Dufty I'd love to hear it ? Dufty's stats are right up there with Papenhuyzen, Trys, try assists, kick return metres, tackle beaks, line breaks, in fact if he played fb for Storm he'd be as good as Pap if not better behind that pack and with a great coach and the goat. Elliot is absolute sh*t in comparison.
I'd be basing the whole team composition in 2021 around Dufty and Zac ( provided Zac can get the errors out of his game ). Start with those two and build from there. Add Vaughan, Lawrie, T.Sims, Ford and the rest of the spots are up for grabs. The very last thing I'd be doing is wasting Fullback dollars when we need 2 x top shelf props, another good 2nd rower and maybe an established centre in case the young guys coming through need more time. I'm not impressed with any of our halves for next year either but again we need the money for other things and hopefully Hook can get Hunt & co firing.

Dufty earned his stripes playing touch footy and it shows given that he couldn't tackle a steak sandwich. Granted he is great in broken play but his deficiencies defensively mean there is no benefit in having him in the team.

The comparison with Papnhuyzen is ridiculous. Papnhuyzen would play better in his sleep than Dufty at fullback. You're right same size, same type of player except one puts his body on the line in defence and the other is a complete bludger in defence.

My original point stands that we need a fullback who can defend as opposed to one who can attack under the right circumstances.

possm

Coach
I'd be basing the whole team composition in 2021 around Dufty and Zac ( provided Zac can get the errors out of his game ). Start with those two and build from there. Add Vaughan, Lawrie, T.Sims, Ford and the rest of the spots are up for grabs. The very last thing I'd be doing is wasting Fullback dollars when we need 2 x top shelf props, another good 2nd rower and maybe an established centre in case the young guys coming through need more time. I'm not impressed with any of our halves for next year either but again we need the money for other things and hopefully Hook can get Hunt & co firing.
I have not read any negatives regarding Dufty's attacking skills however, this is only one side of the story. I've said it many times before that in my opinion Dufty better suits the five-eighth position manly because I believe:
  • The more oftenDufty gets to touch the ball in attack, the better the chance he will deliver a good result.
  • The pairing of Dufty and Sullivan in the halves could be a very dynamic halves combination, especially in attack.
  • With the help of Soward, I believe our halves kicking game will improve out of sight.
  • By moving Dufty to five-eighth, there will be a much improved opportunity to support him in defence and the less requirement for him to take the high ball; two of his weaknesses that cause us to bleed points.

kit66

Bench
Dufty earned his stripes playing touch footy and it shows given that he couldn't tackle a steak sandwich. Granted he is great in broken play but his deficiencies defensively mean there is no benefit in having him in the team.

The comparison with Papnhuyzen is ridiculous. Papnhuyzen would play better in his sleep than Dufty at fullback. You're right same size, same type of player except one puts his body on the line in defence and the other is a complete bludger in defence.

My original point stands that we need a fullback who can defend as opposed to one who can attack under the right circumstances.

Considering his size Dufty does fine in defence. You look at NRL.stats he doesn't even make the top 50 for Missed Tackles whereas players like Hunt, Cherry Evans, Cleary, Reynolds, Pearce, Munster, Ponga etc do. Even if his defence was a little suspect his attack more than makes up for it being responsible for about half our tries this year, that's huge.

His stats make the Papenhuyzen comparison for me, they're almost the same in the areas I mentioned but Dufty achieved those stats in a perpetually bottom 8 team, behind a very ordinary pack with very ordinary halves and possibly the worst coach in the league while Pap benefited from having the complete opposite, a team that rarely slips below 4th on the ladder and is easily the best coached and well drilled team in the league. Dufty not only deserves some credit he should also, like I said, do even better in a stronger team with a real coach at the helm. He'll have the coach next year and hopefully a better team.

Latest posts