What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 has forced the NRL into having a better schedule. Let's make it permanent.

Origin during or after the club season?

• Total voters

BunniesMan

Immortal
By far the best part of this weird season has been the fact that we could have consistent week in and week out footy without Origin ruining 6 weeks of club footy. Every year certain teams are handicapped by losing key players to Origin or by being screwed on byes.

Club footy has been better for not having Origin to disrupt it. And now we get to focus on Origin without club footy detracting from it. Both forms of the game are better off with this year's schedule.

Yes I know some people will say the non finals players are disadvantaged by not being match fit for Origin but who cares. Their fault for not being good enough. It's a very small negative up against the much bigger positives.

Which format do your prefer?

greenBV4

Bench
I'm conflicted.
For the NRL and Origin it's definately better after the season
but doing that will likely be the death of Kangaroo's games
Unless, making this up as i go here after a fair few bevs, you play a pacific cup or the like during origin, with the winner playing a boxing day test or something against the roos?

Game_Breaker

Coach
Unless, making this up as i go here after a fair few bevs, you play a pacific cup or the like during origin, with the winner playing a boxing day test or something against the roos?

That will be a very long season for the rep players and because of burnout fears I don’t see it happening

Origin mid season on standalone weeks is the best fit for me

BunniesMan

Immortal
Exactly. There'd still be room in the calendar at that point for all the non Aussie teams. Poms v Kiwis, plus the developing countries.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly. There'd still be room in the calendar at that point for all the non Aussie teams. Poms v Kiwis, plus the developing countries.

australia doesn’t really want to play tests so I suppose they won’t be missed much. Will make RLWC far more interesting as well without the kangaroos.

greenBV4

Bench
australia doesn’t really want to play tests so I suppose they won’t be missed much. Will make RLWC far more interesting as well without the kangaroos.
tbf, with origin basically being an extended kangaroos squad, they could quite easily get away with only playing in World Cups

I'd rather have them play yearly, but if we get an end of season origin and proper fleshed out international calender with the other teams then maybe that'd be alright

Valheru

Coach
Post season is for internationals.

3 week break in the middle of the season is best for SOO.

No requirement for a bye so NRL drops from 25 rounds to 24. The rep round goes (those fixtures played over the 3 week origin window) so that is only 1 additional week needing to be found at the beginning of the season.

soc123_au

Staff member
In theory I like it at the end. But I would rather get internationals post season. They need to find a way to make origin less disruptive to the regular season though.

Styles clash

Juniors
Players are sitting out post-season Origin for surgery/injuries like they do internationals. This will be a one off.

They should have 3 bye rounds for Origin during the season.

Latest posts