What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangs

Coach
Get the rumour mill going again.

Naden probably gone. Staines in for Sauce 2021. I'd keep Whare for depth as I doubt anyone will cover his contract unlike Mansour's. If Josh stays then he has to face the prospect of playing reggies and he has proven this year that he is better than that.

Think we need to head into the market and find an experienced back. Also some more backrow depth.

MTNPanther

Juniors

Naden probably gone. Staines in for Sauce 2021. I'd keep Whare for depth as I doubt anyone will cover his contract unlike Mansour's. If Josh stays then he has to face the prospect of playing reggies and he has proven this year that he is better than that.

Think we need to head into the market and find an experienced back. Also some more backrow depth.

I would love to keep Naden I think with another good off season working on his defence he can go to another level.
We need to keep one of sauce or Whare we can’t loose all that experience in a off season it will hurt us. We couldn’t go wrong with picking up an experienced forward for cheap who that is is a headache though.

Fangs

Coach
I would love to keep Naden I think with another good off season working on his defence he can go to another level.
We need to keep one of sauce or Whare we can’t loose all that experience in a off season it will hurt us. We couldn’t go wrong with picking up an experienced forward for cheap who that is is a headache though.

I'd like to keep Naden as well but it appears his cards are marked. Not expecting him to stay

I agree. Its a weird one. Release experienced players to buy other experienced players. I just can't see Staines being kept out of first grade and it would 100% be Mansour's wing he would take.

I would want an experienced centre. We have Whare but there must be other options available. More forward depth is key. Losing Tamou's experience is a big headache for us.

I'd like to keep Naden as well but it appears his cards are marked. Not expecting him to stay

I agree. Its a weird one. Release experienced players to buy other experienced players. I just can't see Staines being kept out of first grade and it would 100% be Mansour's wing he would take.

I would want an experienced centre. We have Whare but there must be other options available. More forward depth is key. Losing Tamou's experience is a big headache for us.

Our backline needs more speed, so Staines is a must.

I'm saying he used to play utility coming on playing somewhere in the forwards besides the one match Whare was injured and he played centre. You made a comment about his try assist in his games as a centre in contrasts to the 8 or something like that he got playing in off the bench at lock forward, hooker, second row etc.

I'm saying we've got to put those stats in perspective considering the teams he played against then.

Fair enough, but I still think he’s objectively better as a utility than a centre.

The Realist

Juniors
People want to keep Mansour for his experience? He is the dopiest player in our squad - this is experience that we could do without.

We 100% have to offload him. He has been a wonderful clubman and was a very good player. But that time has well and truly passed. We need to be ruthless like the Storm and in particular Roosters are with axing players who whilst still playing pretty well are in obvious decline. No room for Sentimentality for Elite teams.

Whare was FINISHED last year. Offers zero value other than injury cover if we get a bunch of them. Another good clubman who has stayed on too long.

Nadan I am not sure what do with him. Has a nasty habit of rushing out of the line and arms tackles but maybe some work in the offseason could fix him defensively? Even in offense he has weaknesses - he is noted as being a bad passer and doesn't beat his opposition with footwork. He is however quick, tall and backs up quite well, and he does bend the line back well leaving space either side of him.

I still think he is a better winger than Centre and a better option than Mansour. The other problem we have is what to do with Staines and Laurie? Where do they fit? You'd have to say that Staines looks good for the wing if he can get his body right.

So once again - we offload Mansour and possibly Nadan as well if we are not happy with him at centre.

What do we then do with Burton? I'd like him as a centre but from what I have seen he'd probably have more issues defensively then Nadan. No Reserve Grade has really cruelled our development of some of these younger guys.

Our other option is to have Burton at fullback even though Edwards is signed till the end of 2022 I believe.
Provided he could cover the field well and support play like Edwards does - he'd add another dimension to our attack. Edwards bombed a near certain try last night because his ball playing is not Elite fullback level. Also look at the replay of the Pappenhuzen try, Edwards pulls up early in the chase. Either he just injured himself, was playing injured or he gave up.

This backline roster really needs a big sorting out - ATM it is a bit of a mess.

GongPanther

Referee
People want to keep Mansour for his experience? He is the dopiest player in our squad - this is experience that we could do without.

We 100% have to offload him. He has been a wonderful clubman and was a very good player. But that time has well and truly passed. We need to be ruthless like the Storm and in particular Roosters are with axing players who whilst still playing pretty well are in obvious decline. No room for Sentimentality for Elite teams.

Whare was FINISHED last year. Offers zero value other than injury cover if we get a bunch of them. Another good clubman who has stayed on too long.

Nadan I am not sure what do with him. Has a nasty habit of rushing out of the line and arms tackles but maybe some work in the offseason could fix him defensively? Even in offense he has weaknesses - he is noted as being a bad passer and doesn't beat his opposition with footwork. He is however quick, tall and backs up quite well, and he does bend the line back well leaving space either side of him.

I still think he is a better winger than Centre and a better option than Mansour. The other problem we have is what to do with Staines and Laurie? Where do they fit? You'd have to say that Staines looks good for the wing if he can get his body right.

So once again - we offload Mansour and possibly Nadan as well if we are not happy with him at centre.

What do we then do with Burton? I'd like him as a centre but from what I have seen he'd probably have more issues defensively then Nadan. No Reserve Grade has really cruelled our development of some of these younger guys.

Our other option is to have Burton at fullback even though Edwards is signed till the end of 2022 I believe.
Provided he could cover the field well and support play like Edwards does - he'd add another dimension to our attack. Edwards bombed a near certain try last night because his ball playing is not Elite fullback level. Also look at the replay of the Pappenhuzen try, Edwards pulls up early in the chase. Either he just injured himself, was playing injured or he gave up.

This backline roster really needs a big sorting out - ATM it is a bit of a mess.
I would tend to think that we are a club that now will be able to attract some elite players over the next couple of years who want to be part of where we are heading.

Not sure of the available player list from Nov 1st, but it will be interesting from next Sunday when clubs start spitting out their wishlists.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I love Sauce, he’ll always have a place in the Panthers team in my heart, but Charlie needs to be in that team and that’s the most obvious spot.

I’m cool with sticking with Naden or Trying Burton out in the centre’s.

Exciting times guys! We have so many great players.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

To be fair, there isn’t a player in the NRL that would have even come close to running Paps down.

WestyLife

First Grade
I love Sauce, he’ll always have a place in the Panthers team in my heart, but Charlie needs to be in that team and that’s the most obvious spot.

I’m cool with sticking with Naden or Trying Burton out in the centre’s.

Exciting times guys! We have so many great players.

Give sauce a job at the club and make sure he's looked after. Seems to sort the problem.

Where to from here?

A few thoughts -

No need to panic, we still had a great 2020 and we’ve got the basis of a great squad

1.Right centre needs addressing. If Naden can improve his defence that’d be ideal, but I have doubts it’ll improve enough to satisfy Ivan. I’m certain they would’ve already done a lot of work on it. Turuva is still a year or two away, so who else? We’ve obviously talked about Burton a lot, another option could be To’o? I’ve noticed he reads defence quite well, and he has played some centre before. But then we’d lose his meters on the wing. I doubt we have the money to buy anyone decent.

2. Staines needs to come into the team, our backline needs more pace. Mansour had an awesome year, but addressing team needs must come first. Of course you could keep Mansour if To’o moved to right centre, then Staines could take that spot.

3. We need another prop or two obviously. No idea who, but it’s not going to be star. The rest of the forward pack looks pretty set.

4. Luai needs a little more ball, not a heap because a part of what makes him special is being unpredictable.

5. lastly, and this’ll be controversial I think. Dylan Edwards. He had a great year, safe as houses, brilliant support play, but if you look at the premiers of the last 10 years they’ve *almost* all had a dynamic fullback, a game changer. Pep last night, Tedesco, Barba, Slater, Inglis, Minichello & Stewart. I really like Edwards, so this isn’t a go at him, but I think if we have the opportunity to upgrade at fullback we have to take it. Maybe that’s Staines, Burton, Laurie or even Turuva eventually, I don’t know. But it’s something I think we need to work towards, it’s probably not going to happen in 2021. Maybe there’s also an opportunity for Edwards to play a different position in the backline?

The Realist

Juniors
5. lastly, and this’ll be controversial I think. Dylan Edwards. He had a great year, safe as houses, brilliant support play, but if you look at the premiers of the last 10 years they’ve *almost* all had a dynamic fullback, a game changer. Pep last night, Tedesco, Barba, Slater, Inglis, Minichello & Stewart. I really like Edwards, so this isn’t a go at him, but I think if we have the opportunity to upgrade at fullback we have to take it. Maybe that’s Staines, Burton, Laurie or even Turuva eventually, I don’t know. But it’s something I think we need to work towards, it’s probably not going to happen in 2021. Maybe there’s also an opportunity for Edwards to play a different position in the backline?

I believe you are right here. Edwards has improved his passing and play making but still has trouble doing it well. He bombed a try last night by passing too early and it is not like it is uncommon for him to do that., even this year.

Your post had me thinking that if Staines or Burton go to fullback, Edwards might make a decent centre. He beats tackles and is relatively quick. I am not sure how he'd go with the increased defensive workload and decision making but I would imagine he'd go okay. I'd be fine with that move in all honesty if we lose Naden. I just don't want to see May become our centre. That would do my head in!

Port Panther

Juniors
I agree with Crighton to fullback and Burton to centre until he has bulked up abit for lock...... no spot for Clearys love child May . Sorry but Mansour is cooked and we need speedsters demon speed .
We also need a prop for cheap maybe just someone looking for a opportunity .
My recommendation Would be go back to army camp pre-season and heaps of sprint training.

Adam jeffries

Juniors
From last night Staines is a must at Fullback or Wing just his speed alone asks questions of the defence, Burton played fullback growing up so not to much of a change for him, agree Edwards has been good but passing is off and sometimes his hands let him down.
Mansour needs to go , I wouldn't mind looking at Rob Jennings cheap and different body size compared to To'o and the other wingers and can play centre if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.