What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 Year Report Card

Last Week

Bench
Just tallied up some teams finishes and how far into the finals they've managed to get, aswell as tallied top 4 finishes.

No adjustments have been made for retrospective changes to results. So Melbourne's stripped premierships are still tallied here. Likewise, Canterbury's finish that year is considered last, so no tally for top 4 or minor premiership has been counted.

Also, in 1998, the finals had 10 teams. In that year, Canterbury and Manly finished 9th and 10th.

Since the beginning of the NRL era (1998 - present)

Untitled.png

Interpret these however you will.

soc123_au

Staff member
Panthers are 2 gf appearances. Although one could be forgiven for forgetting about last night...

Someguy

First Grade
Can titans be our fairytale team next year! I feel they are the team that never get the rub of the green, can the refs just pretend they are Souths for one year and see how it turns out

Good stats, cheers.

My take aways from that..

The blatantly clear one is the Storm n Roosters are standouts. But also along with the Broncos they are the most despised. All these 3 have made the most finals.... fancy that. Success fans the flames of despise.

Genuinely surprised the Sharks have the 4th most finals appearances. If I was asked who'd had the 4th most finals appearances before seeing this I highly doubt I'd have picked them. Probably would have said Manly.

Didnt realise the Tigers had only made 3 finals series (along with the Titans).

Surprised Canberra have made 12 finals' series, even though they've been strong the last two years - before that I can only recall the odd season they've shined (eg 2010). As many as the Dragons (strong in the 2000's and 2010) and Parramatta.

In addition to this, wonder what the "spoon" table looks like?

Might do some research...

Ok - slurped a coffee and worked through Spoons. I'm not as technically adept as @Last Week and so manually had to put in as opposed to a neat spreadsheet image.

NRL WOODEN SPOONS

Newcastle Knights - 4
(2005, 2015, 2016, 2017)

Parramatta Eels - 3
(2012, 2013, 2018)

South Sydney Rabbitohs - 3
(2003, 2004, 2006)

Western Suburbs Magpies - 2
(1998,1999)

Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs - 2
(2002, 2008)

Penrith Panthers - 2
(2001, 2007)

Gold Coast Titans - 2
(2011, 2019)

Sydney Roosters - 1
(2009)

Nth Queensland Cowboys - 1
(2000)

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks - 1
(2014)

Melbourne Storm - 1
(2010)

Brisbane Broncos - 1
(2020)

No Spoons...

St George Illawarra Dragons
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Canberra Raiders
Wests Tigers
New Zealand Warriors
Northern Eagles
Adelaide Rams

Last edited:

Valheru

Coach
Ok - slurped a coffee and worked through Spoons.

NRL WOODEN SPOONS
Team Number Year(s)
Newcastle Knights 4 2005, 2015, 2016, 2017
Parramatta Eels 3 2012, 2013, 2018
South Sydney Rabbitohs 3 2003, 2004, 2006
Western Suburbs Magpies 2 1998,1999
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs 2 2002, 2008
Penrith Panthers 2 2001, 2007
Gold Coast Titans 2 2011, 2019
Sydney Roosters 1 2009
Nth Queensland Cowboys 1 2000
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 1 2014
Melbourne Storm 1 2010
Brisbane Broncos 1 2020
St George Illawarra Dragons 0
Manly Warringah Sea Eagles 0
Canberra Raiders 0
Wests Tigers 0

For me the meaning of spoons are over stated, someone has to come last.

I would like to see the stats on bottom 4 as that will tell a better story IMO. I mean what real difference is there between 13-15 and 16th, it is a horrible season either way.

For me strength meaning of spoons are over stated, someone has to come last.

I would like to see the stats on bottom 4 as that will tell a better story IMO. I mean what real difference is there between 13-15 and 16th, it is a horrible season either way.

Would be interesting to see that too..

Might need a few coffees to work that out but I'll have a crack this arvo maybe.

As for the real difference, between 13-15th & 16th, quite simply - it's one of these.. '

woodenspoon_95568553.jpg

Valheru

Coach
Would be interesting to see that too..

Might need a few coffees to work that out but I'll have a crack this arvo maybe.

As for the real difference, between 13-15th & 16th, quite simply - it's one of these.. '

woodenspoon_95568553.jpg

Of course there is the embarrassment of coming last and the banter of the fans etc.

What I am saying though is the spoon is not as good an indicator of performance or lack thereof as the bottom 4 IMO.

Take cowboys this year for example, they surely can not be feeling any better than the broncos about season 2020.

some11

Referee
No adjustments have been made for retrospective changes to results. So Melbourne's stripped premierships are still tallied here. Likewise, Canterbury's finish that year is considered last, so no tally for top 4 or minor premiership has been counted.
Then change it.

Of course there is the embarrassment of coming last and the banter of the fans etc.

What I am saying though is the spoon is not as good an indicator of performance or lack thereof as the bottom 4 IMO.

Take cowboys this year for example, they surely can not be feeling any better than the broncos about season 2020.
Relegating the Donkeys to their firstever wooden spoon, on their own turf made me almost as happy as the 2015 GF.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well until the NRL has enough balls to overhaul the system the Storm will continue to win premierships...

That's good :)

They really cant change 3rd party TPA's as it would be seen as a restraint of trade. Seem to recollect some test case re using own image to earn which a sports comp tried to stop? Getting serious about what is and isnt a 3rd party TPA and making sure its not connected to resigning for a club would be something. Mind you now the integrity unit resources have been stripped its probably going to be open season again.

Most of the TPA's relate to the top star players as well and they are the ones we want to see on our TV screens advertising products, its good exposure for the sport at end of day. Most of that Melbourne amount would have been Billy Slater deals, he seemed to be on TV adds all the time at end of his career!

Latest posts