What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
And Cleary’s 25m rainbow pass that had intercept written all over it from the second he threw it. It was thrown in hope. If that was Moses throwing that, he’d have been lynched by now.
I confess that I had a moment of compassion for Cleary post game when he said through tears that he let the boys down.

Having said that (as Ash Taylor well knows) getting a $1M lottery contract brings huge responsibility. The merkin who should have been copping the flack was the idiot who paid Cleary $1M plus when he's not worth anything like it. Same goes for Ponga. OMG Hunt.

Getting paid $1M a season are players like Teddy, Trobjealphabet (the fullback), Cam360 who can produce performances consistently which bring wins. Gutho is becoming one of those players. Moses flips in and out of games too much.

eel01s

Bench
A couple of things:

Naden plays right centre. Just like Blake. We need a left centre to replace MJ.

Can't stand ch9 commentary. Every game I m forced to listen is not exciting from the start. Gould is terrible and John's adds zero.

If that was Moses instead of golden child Cleary last night we would never have heard the end of criticism of his kicks and general play.

Avenger

Immortal
A couple of things:

Naden plays right centre. Just like Blake. We need a left centre to replace MJ.

Can't stand ch9 commentary. Every game I m forced to listen is not exciting from the start. Gould is terrible and John's adds zero.

If that was Moses instead of golden child Cleary last night we would never have heard the end of criticism of his kicks and general play.
May I first ask, can they adapt? I’m pretty sure Jennings has played both sides.

I can’t stand Channel 9 and their commentary team. Foxtel have some annoying pricks too but nothing as bad as Ray Warren who should have retired years ago and Phil ‘I told you so’ Gould.

and lastly Moses is ok at 7 as long as there are no other alternatives.

strider

Post Whore
It might not be the reason they lost, but it was a negative move. He should’ve stuck with Naden.
1000% ... you go 16-0 with naden mostly in the lineup at centre (definitely towards the end of the 16 wins) ... and then you change for some supposed improvement .... an improvement I don't think ever really was obvious - even in the souths game penrith weren't convincing - it didn't improve them

strider

Post Whore
I confess that I had a moment of compassion for Cleary post game when he said through tears that he let the boys down.

Having said that (as Ash Taylor well knows) getting a $1M lottery contract brings huge responsibility. The merkin who should have been copping the flack was the idiot who paid Cleary $1M plus when he's not worth anything like it. Same goes for Ponga. OMG Hunt.

Getting paid $1M a season are players like Teddy, Trobjealphabet (the fullback), Cam360 who can produce performances consistently which bring wins. Gutho is becoming one of those players. Moses flips in and out of games too much.
what do you think Cleary is worth? ... 800k (ie moses type money)? less?

I agree he might not be a million dollar player now, but he might be down the track ..... TBH penrith needed to use the "pay papa bear more money outside the cap" more effectively

Gronk

Staff member
what do you think Cleary is worth? ... 800k (ie moses type money)? less?

I agree he might not be a million dollar player now, but he might be down the track ..... TBH penrith needed to use the "pay papa bear more money outside the cap" more effectively
I don't know how much he is worth, but Reynolds is worth more. So what is the Souths guy on , bc he seems to influence positive results by his 1%ers more than Cleary.

Gronk

Staff member
Storm..the masters of brinkmanship..They push it to the limit to obtain unfair advantage. Trainer holding up play to test someone for a HIA just to slow it down. Players never on side at 'on line defence'..Dawdling off the field when sin binned...joke......
Giving away 6 agains on tackle 1.

Haynzy

First Grade
May I first ask, can they adapt? I’m pretty sure Jennings has played both sides.

I can’t stand Channel 9 and their commentary team. Foxtel have some annoying pricks too but nothing as bad as Ray Warren who should have retired years ago and Phil ‘I told you so’ Gould.

and lastly Moses is ok at 7 as long as there are no other alternatives.

I don’t mind Rabs but Gould shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the commentary box.
He does a decent enough job of the pre-game hyperbolic hype but in the commentary box he is rubbish and his agendas shine through.

Voss is still my favourite commentator.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Storm..the masters of brinkmanship..They push it to the limit to obtain unfair advantage. Trainer holding up play to test someone for a HIA just to slow it down. Players never on side at 'on line defence'..Dawdling off the field when sin binned...joke......
I don't think the Storm are to blame for this. NRL has slowly pushed the game to a point where you can win only if you cheat or bend the rules.

I loved it when Gould was sad about Storm's tactics against his beloved Panthers. It brought me great joy because it hurts when it happens to your team. Storm do this every single week and get away with it.

84 Baby

Referee
I don't know how much he is worth, but Reynolds is worth more. So what is the Souths guy on , bc he seems to influence positive results by his 1%ers more than Cleary.
I’ll back Cleary a bit here, and numerous other halves. Rugba Leeg is one of few sports where finals, GFs especially, are almost a completely different sport. Regular season they generally have time and can construct plays but in finals they are essentially flying by seat of their pants so particular halves don’t look anywhere near as good as they might in regular season. Munster, Hughes and Luai were almost as ineffective as Cleary. So were Edwards and Korisau. Even #CAMretireyoumerkin during the 2nd half was coming up with wrong plays

Haynzy

First Grade
Voss needs to get off the fence and just go full Eastlake

I listened to a podcast with him a while back, I can't remember if it was The Rugby League Digest or something else but he's a fascinating guy. Sounds like he's got a bit of Rainman about him but it means he knows his stuff.

strider

Post Whore
I’ll back Cleary a bit here, and numerous other halves. Rugba Leeg is one of few sports where finals, GFs especially, are almost a completely different sport. Regular season they generally have time and can construct plays but in finals they are essentially flying by seat of their pants so particular halves don’t look anywhere near as good as they might in regular season. Munster, Hughes and Luai were almost as ineffective as Cleary. So were Edwards and Korisau. Even #CAMretireyoumerkin during the 2nd half was coming up with wrong plays
the Cleary haters claim Luai and Api made him look good all year .... well then I guess Luai and Api must have been M.I.A. last night

agree - GFs (and similarly Origin) are often just fast bash ups played at a million miles an hour and limited chances for halves to shine .... the absolute best at them are game managers - controlling tempo and wise kicking

Glenneel

Bench
Was their best player..for May or Cleary to not lay a hand on Papenhuysen is inexcusable in a GF...if that was Moses and Waqa parra supporters and the likes of Gould etc would have stoned them to death..
Cleary Snr outsmarted himself playing May in the centres. Yes worked against Soufs but they missed Naden's hole running and energy
Poor Gus Gould, I don't know what game he was seeing in the first half but his commentary didn't match the game.

Penrith panicked from about 10 mins in the game to about the 50min and started finally playing with more purpose while Storm slacked off after playing a super high tempo game. Not once did Gould say the word panic - if it was Parra playing the word panic would have been mentioned about 100 times!

Glenneel

Bench
Was their best player..for May or Cleary to not lay a hand on Papenhuysen is inexcusable in a GF...if that was Moses and Waqa parra supporters and the likes of Gould etc would have stoned them to death..
Cleary Snr outsmarted himself playing May in the centres. Yes worked against Soufs but they missed Naden's hole running and energy
Paps try very similar to French's try for Wigan. Who said NRL standard is higher and those tries don't happen here? They'll always happen with players who have speed.