What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves 2021

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I realise this post could go under numerous threads just like any other post really but just wanted to start a specific discussion on who our halves will be, specifically the CC halves. Working out this piece of the jigsaw puzzle will be one of Griffins biggest jobs. With Hunt, Norman, Clune, Sullivan and Amone all on the books I wonder who the odd man out is? I feel round 1 we will go Hunt/Norman with Sullivan/Clune in reserves maybe with Amone playing centre or something. I thought Sullivan went really well but the safe option is to have him nipping at the heels of the two experienced blokes. Personally I’d go with Sullivan/Amone in reserves to get ready for Sullivan to replace Norman in 2022 and Amone to replace Hunt in 2023. Who knows with Soward on board Hunt/Norman may finally deliver. Thoughts?

possm

Coach
I'm a fan of the Dufty 6, Sullivan 7 halves combination. With Soward working on their kicking game, my view is that the attacking skills of these two halves will cause the opposition major headaches. Griffin will have his work cut out getting these two players up to scratch in defence however, I feel sure he can do it.

The obvious bonus of selecting these two as our halves pairing, is the possibility of offloading of both Norman and Hunt and making more salary cap available to purchase the forwards we need to compete with the rest of the competition.

I believe that, with these two halves, together with our young speedy backline, and with two first grade props and a first rate edge forward, we would see the Saints competing for a top 4 spot in 2021.

Hunt and Sullivan.

I feel like Hunt could rediscover the strengths in his game under Griffin, and Sullivan showed me enough in his debut to leapfrog Norman and Clune for the number 6.

Agree, for me it’s Sullivan and Hunt in the halves.
Norman and Clune CC or Amone and Clune CC.
McInnes back to Hooker, JDB if playing back at lock and if we still end up with Jack Bird I would play him in Frizz spot in the back row. Need a running, ball playing edge forward as another point of difference in attack.

redv13

Bench
I think Griffin will start Hunt and Norman as the halves. Normally that would make my head explode but I think we should allow Griffin, Elliott and Gentle the chance to fix issues we have had the last 2 years. Considering he has coached both players maybe there is still a chance of this heading in a positive direction.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'm a fan of the Dufty 6, Sullivan 7 halves combination. With Soward working on their kicking game, my view is that the attacking skills of these two halves will cause the opposition major headaches. Griffin will have his work cut out getting these two players up to scratch in defence however, I feel sure he can do it.

The obvious bonus of selecting these two as our halves pairing, is the possibility of offloading of both Norman and Hunt and making more salary cap available to purchase the forwards we need to compete with the rest of the competition.

I believe that, with these two halves, together with our young speedy backline, and with two first grade props and a first rate edge forward, we would see the Saints competing for a top 4 spot in 2021.
We won’t be unloading Norman or Hunt. It’s ok because I doubt Sullivan, Amone or Dufty are ready to lead a team around for a full season just yet. It should time nicely for them to take over post Hunt/Norman. Imo our best chance to make the 8 is with at least one of Hunt and Norman and one of the others. If Dufty is to be converted to a 6 I’d say it would have to be in reserves at first.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think Griffin will start Hunt and Norman as the halves. Normally that would make my head explode but I think we should allow Griffin, Elliott and Gentle the chance to fix issues we have had the last 2 years. Considering he has coached both players maybe there is still a chance of this heading in a positive direction.
Agree

Dragonslayer

First Grade
This is one of the great mysteries of 2021 (and onwards).

Is it going to be: who will be v who should be?

The big question (imo) surrounds Norman and will he even be here next season? Atm we have to assume so.

We also will, most likely, experience something we havent seen for 7 or 8 years ie; A proper game plan.

It is the assumption of the past performance v the prediction of everything new under a professional coaching team. Mmmmm.

So, i will go with (stc of course)
1st grade - Hunt/Norman
CC - Sullivan/Clune
JF - Amone

There is also young Wishart to slot in somewhere as well.

In saying all that, I think there are 3 driving factors that will influence our 2021 squad, those being:

1. JDB case
2. Will there be a CC comp (given COVID is still rife)
3. Who will coach the CC squad

Interesting times ahead for sure.

SBD82

Coach
I get your point, and I think what you’re saying has some validity.

It still makes my head explode though. My fear is that we waste another season with Griffin trying to get the best out of them, only to discover that they’re unfixable and we end up in the same position as we are right now.

redv13

Bench
I get your point, and I think what you’re saying has some validity.

It still makes my head explode though. My fear is that we waste another season with Griffin trying to get the best out of them, only to discover that they’re unfixable and we end up in the same position as we are right now.
Agree with you. Personally I’d go Sullivan at 7 and Hunt at 6

kit66

Bench
I said in another thread I think Griffin will try to salvage the Hunt / Norman experiment, makes sense.
Personally I'd give a Hunt / Sullivan combo a shot sooner rather than later and put Norman at centre where I think he could excel.
It's a shame there aren't any other viable options because I still think Hunt is a Hooker first and foremost.

possm

Coach
Big change is needed now, before the start of 2021. Else we will be chopping and changing players throughout 2021. The salary cap being taken up by Norman and Hunt would be enough to buy 4 first grade forwards. Call it two forwards and one from Frizell's departure and we still have funds to upgrade a few of our new back towards the end of the season.

For new halves we have a new start who can play the way Griffin wants them to. With Soward hire to also improve their game, I'd say that a Dufty/Sullivan halves combination would easily surpass what Norman and Hunt have been dishing up.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Big change is needed now, before the start of 2021. Else we will be chopping and changing players throughout 2021. The salary cap being taken up by Norman and Hunt would be enough to buy 4 first grade forwards. Call it two forwards and one from Frizell's departure and we still have funds to upgrade a few of our new back towards the end of the season.

For new halves we have a new start who can play the way Griffin wants them to. With Soward hire to also improve their game, I'd say that a Dufty/Sullivan halves combination would easily surpass what Norman and Hunt have been dishing up.
The problem is that he’s on 850k so no one is going to take him. Even if they did we will have to pay half at an absolute minimum only leaving us 400k odd to spend. If that chance come up I would probably take it but it’s not going to buy us three forwards. More than likely we can just use Sullivan in place of and use the money to chip in a bit for one forward. I can’t see anyone wanting Norman unless they are really trying to offload an injury prone player and use Norman as a backup. I can’t think of a club where he would start. No one is paying 4-500k for a backup half.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Norman will be chasing a contract as it is his final year. He will lift big time and have a great season. Hopefully he will get snapped up by someone else and Sullivan will then slot in from 2022 onwards.

Clune was ok but Norman and Hunt were so bad they made him look good. A few intercepts he threw and some bad kicks went unnoticed. Sullivan is the better player than Clune and Hunt will be in the halves 100%. Dufty will stay at Fullback. He should take notice of Papenhauzen as he has the ability to be like him even better.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Norman will be chasing a contract as it is his final year. He will lift big time and have a great season. Hopefully he will get snapped up by someone else and Sullivan will then slot in from 2022 onwards.

Clune was ok but Norman and Hunt were so bad they made him look good. A few intercepts he threw and some bad kicks went unnoticed. Sullivan is the better player than Clune and Hunt will be in the halves 100%. Dufty will stay at Fullback. HE should take not of Papenhauzen as he has the ability to be like him even better.
Dufty’s attack is at least as good as Pap, about the same size. Pap is miles better in the air though and defensively. It does show that his size is not an obstacle. Bellamy did say he was heavily mentored by Slater who was of similar stature. We unfortunately don’t have anyone like that to lean on which is a shame.

Crush

Coach
For me Hunt gets 6 weeks at halfback to prove that he has turned things around under new coaching. If he isn't consistent over those 6 weeks then he's done, drop him/shop him/get rid of him.
We cannot have another season of inconsistent rubbish from our highest paid player.
I'd start Sullivan at 6.
I think Clune is solid but not elite.
And Norman is cooked, should never be picked for first grade again unless injuries to multiple other half options.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
For me Hunt gets 6 weeks at halfback to prove that he has turned things around under new coaching. If he isn't consistent over those 6 weeks then he's done, drop him/shop him/get rid of him.
We cannot have another season of inconsistent rubbish from our highest paid player.
I'd start Sullivan at 6.
And Norman is cooked, should never be picked for first grade again unless injuries to multiple other half options.
I can see one of Clune or Norman not even making CC. Especially if we buy Bird which I’m not keen on.

Old Timer

Coach
I'd start Sullivan at 6.
I dint think there should be any time periods allocated for any of the existing senior players and the only lenience should be for newbies and young players transitioning.

If Hunt can’t show good form within 2 games then why persist for 6 and potentially blow the season?

Same goes for Norman, Sims, Vaughan, Dufty as they have been around the system for long enough to put their best game on show from the get go.

If they aren’t feeling motivated now then there will be no helping them and they won’t help us.

The age of entitlement and incumbency should well and truly be over.

redv13

Bench
I'd start Sullivan at 6.
I’d like to see Sullivan and Hunt in the halves with Norman anywhere else but 1st grade

possm

Coach
I dint think there should be any time periods allocated for any of the existing senior players and the only lenience should be for newbies and young players transitioning.

If Hunt can’t show good form within 2 games then why persist for 6 and potentially blow the season?

Same goes for Norman, Sims, Vaughan, Dufty as they have been around the system for long enough to put their best game on show from the get go.

If they aren’t feeling motivated now then there will be no helping them and they won’t help us.

The age of entitlement and incumbency should well and truly be over.
We have wasted enough time and money on Norman and Hunt. If we can off-load them, then do it asap. If we can't off-load them then Griffin will select on form in the off-season.