What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

I wonder myself cause 26 milllion plus the salary cap is a lot of money, surely it must have been more than just buying boats..
It is a lot of money. Even if it wasn't spent on their NRL squad, it could have been spent in ways that gave them a competitive advantage over every other team. Trainers, assistant coaches, talent scouts, etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The extra grant from nrl was to cover the revenue/expenditure gap after the news ltd ownership finished. Nrl were desperate to get news ltd out of the club, the conflict of interest in owning two clubs in the Same comp is insane and should never have happened.
With that extra investment the storm have been able to build their business to the point they now have no extra funding and make a profit every year and were an attractive investment for an extra nrl business group. A very good investment by nrl.
I hope the nrl has money set aside for supporting any new expansion club in future, Titans showed what happens if you don’t take the afl approach.
Just another reason there won’t be any expansion for the next 3-5 year at least imo. I doubt Redcliffe LC has the spare $3-5million a year that a new Brisbane club will need in extra investment.

mongoose

Coach
Nope, I also think I might have imagined it

I just watched a reply of some of the post game - Bracey does say something about putting rumors to bed about a 17th team before it cuts to a break. They never come back to it though, they just crap on about Origin for the rest of the broadcast.

jim_57

Staff member
I just watched a reply of some of the post game - Bracey does say something about putting rumors to bed about a 17th team before it cuts to a break. They never come back to it though, they just crap on about Origin for the rest of the broadcast.

Nah when I watched they played some weird promo/joke thing with Dell and the "Coolangatta Koalas" I think it was to do with that.

The extra grant from nrl was to cover the revenue/expenditure gap after the news ltd ownership finished. Nrl were desperate to get news ltd out of the club, the conflict of interest in owning two clubs in the Same comp is insane and should never have happened.
With that extra investment the storm have been able to build their business to the point they now have no extra funding and make a profit every year and were an attractive investment for an extra nrl business group. A very good investment by nrl.
I hope the nrl has money set aside for supporting any new expansion club in future, Titans showed what happens if you don’t take the afl approach.
Just another reason there won’t be any expansion for the next 3-5 year at least imo. I doubt Redcliffe LC has the spare $3-5million a year that a new Brisbane club will need in extra investment.
News Ltd were spending up to an extra $5 million per year on the Storm between 98-12. The whole Storm model was dependent on the club spending $2-5 million more per year than every other club between 98-18. If a club like Storm tried to do that today they would probably be looking at an extra $5M-$10M a year. There's no News Ltd around to fund it anymore.

You are now pretending it was only $26.5M between 2013 and 2018 because you don't want to admit that a Perth team will probably cost $100M-$200M over 20 years, hence the ARLC's reluctance to bring in the Pirates.

I couldn't care less what you think about the Dolphins. You're just envious because they're a strong and sustainable club with over $100M in asserts and, are favourites to get the licence you've been hoping would go to some shit team in Perth that has $0 to its name.

Perth Red

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/90fe251f48b06a42932b018fe3007eb5

Looks like expansion is getting looked at, otherwise why bother hiring kate jones

You could ask why spend all that money commissioning a major review of expansion options in 2019 just for Vlandys to ignore it before it was finished and decide on brisbane? NRL loves to look like they are doing something, rather than actually doing something.

She has soon learnt the expansion 10 year generic response lol

“I believe we can have a second team here in Brisbane but we have to get the timing right,” Jones said. “Clearly, COVID has had an impact. The viability of the existing clubs is crucial.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Article Extract:
Kate Jones was brought up in a house with five brothers. She had no choice but to love rugby league.

“I watch it, we are members of our local club — the Brisbane Broncos,” Jones told The Australian. “It is just a sport I feel really strongly about. I was born and raised on rugby league. We didn’t watch any other sport on TV.”

On Tuesday night, Jones was confirmed as the latest addition to the ARL Commission. She arrives at the apex of rugby league after recently stepping down from state government, having spent most of her adult life in politics.
At one point, she was spoken of as a future premier. Of late, she was mooted as a potential chief executive of the Broncos.

From an early age, she was taught to love Queensland and loath NSW. The first person she was urged to hate was Blues legend Ben Elias.

Jones knows the landscape better than anyone and it is understood she was asked her thoughts on a 17th team during her interview for the commission.

The good news for expansion aspirants is that she is a fan and can see an opportunity for rugby league to take an iron-clad grip on southeast Queensland by occupying the corridor from Brisbane’s north to the Sunshine Coast.

Redcliffe, one of the clubs vying to become the 17th franchise, would seem ideally placed, but Jones declined to support any one contender.

“I believe we can have a second team here in Brisbane but we have to get the timing right,” Jones said. “Clearly, COVID has had an impact. The viability of the existing clubs is crucial. In the corridor from Brisbane’s north to the Sunshine Coast there are tens of thousands of new homes going in there. There are hundreds of thousands of new residents.

“They are working families who are ripe for the picking. There is real potential for the future. You always have to keep thinking about the future. But you also have to have one eye on the present. That is one of the great things about Peter’s leadership. He’s such a sharp man. He has a vision. I am really excited to be working with him on the commission.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/6f0731b48a11d31bdbb3980666f29de9

ash the bash

Juniors
Article Extract:
Kate Jones was brought up in a house with five brothers. She had no choice but to love rugby league.

“I watch it, we are members of our local club — the Brisbane Broncos,” Jones told The Australian. “It is just a sport I feel really strongly about. I was born and raised on rugby league. We didn’t watch any other sport on TV.”

On Tuesday night, Jones was confirmed as the latest addition to the ARL Commission. She arrives at the apex of rugby league after recently stepping down from state government, having spent most of her adult life in politics.
At one point, she was spoken of as a future premier. Of late, she was mooted as a potential chief executive of the Broncos.

From an early age, she was taught to love Queensland and loath NSW. The first person she was urged to hate was Blues legend Ben Elias.

Jones knows the landscape better than anyone and it is understood she was asked her thoughts on a 17th team during her interview for the commission.

The good news for expansion aspirants is that she is a fan and can see an opportunity for rugby league to take an iron-clad grip on southeast Queensland by occupying the corridor from Brisbane’s north to the Sunshine Coast.

Redcliffe, one of the clubs vying to become the 17th franchise, would seem ideally placed, but Jones declined to support any one contender.

“I believe we can have a second team here in Brisbane but we have to get the timing right,” Jones said. “Clearly, COVID has had an impact. The viability of the existing clubs is crucial. In the corridor from Brisbane’s north to the Sunshine Coast there are tens of thousands of new homes going in there. There are hundreds of thousands of new residents.

“They are working families who are ripe for the picking. There is real potential for the future. You always have to keep thinking about the future. But you also have to have one eye on the present. That is one of the great things about Peter’s leadership. He’s such a sharp man. He has a vision. I am really excited to be working with him on the commission.”

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/6f0731b48a11d31bdbb3980666f29de9

Sounds like a pretty big hint on which bid they may favour. Personally felt the Dolphins would probably least threaten the Titans/Broncos a line of thought the NRL favours. Not to mention being a safe bet for their off the field stuff.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sounds like a pretty big hint on which bid they may favour. Personally felt the Dolphins would probably least threaten the Titans/Broncos a line of thought the NRL favours. Not to mention being a safe bet for their off the field stuff.
I don't know how anybody can think that.

Sure they are the furthest away from the Titans geographically, but not far enough away that they won't directly compete with them for sponsors, corporates, talent, and to a lesser extent fans.

Any new teams in SEQ are going to impact the Broncos and Titans business at least to some degree, it's inevitable, but we can't afford to wait forever for them to be "ready" (they'll never truly be ready anyway), so they are just going to have to adapt to the changes like every other team has had to in the past.

Pippen94

First Grade

Sure they are the furthest away from the Titans geographically, but not far enough away that they won't directly compete with them for sponsors, corporates, talent, and to a lesser extent fans.

Any new teams in SEQ are going to impact the Broncos and Titans business at least to some degree, it's inevitable, but we can't afford to wait forever for them to be "ready" (they'll never truly be ready anyway), so they are just going to have to adapt to the changes like every other team has had to in the past.
Only question; how many games at Dolphins Oval??

Dolphins tick all the boxes. They give the northern outskirts of Greater Brisbane a team. This area has a very large population and it is difficult to travel from it to Lang Park. Over time it will need its own stadium in Moreton Bay.

Gold Coast has its own TV channels and their own news bulletins at 5.30pm. They won't be affected by team located 2 hours away.

A team in the southern outskirts might affect the Titans, but stiff shit if it does. It's not up to Logan to keep the Titans afloat. That's the responsibility of the people from the Gold Coast.

Last edited:

ash the bash

Juniors

Don't disagree, any bid they choose will affect the Broncos/Titans in some way or another.

Well out of the current or known potential bids atm, say a Ipswich/logan NRL club would affect the Titans more than the Dolphins. From a geographical/catchment perspective Dolphins would represent the bid furthest from Titans catchment. In the same token a Bombers bid would be city central exactly as the Broncos. Firehawks could have a point of difference from the Broncos if they go along the representing "southside" angle.

Latest posts