What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 GF | PREMIERS - Storm 26-20 Panthers @ ANZ

Grand Final: Panthers v Storm

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About time us Tigers took over the thread.

I was thinking we might play better in a bubble in Cloncurry on our historic smug dash up the ladder reaching out for top 14.

It’s sad that the panthers lost ( for their fans and I mean it) but it’s called karma Ivan.

I hope Naden rings Latrell today and gets some contract advice.

Last edited:

The Rosco

Bench
I have a confession. I need to rid my soul of a burden.
Last night, I was at the club cheering for the Storm.
Applauding Cameron fkkng Smith scoring a try.
Showing pleasure whenever those purple scum cheating merkins busted Penrith to score another try.
I feel dirty, and am ashamed of myself.
But what did you expect me to do ? Cheer for Ivan Cleary ?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The Mansour no-try was 50/50. Looked like a defensive decision and the bloke could not have got near stopping it. The first Storm try also was a technical decision on a rule made for player safety but strictly under the rules correct. Perhaps this ought to be looked at in the off season because this was nothing like Slater kicking which led to this rule being brought in. The Kikau one Crichton was away and a try would most likely have been scored. Challenging it would have resulted in a "mutual infringement".The ref should have let the play go on.

Anyway we didn't handle all this well at all and didn't deserve to win.

Absolute nonsense

The ref isn't supposed to just let play continue if they think there is a chance of a try being scored lol.

King hit

Coach
It's really strange seeing people talking about how the Roosters and Storm domination is making people bored. Sporting domination is the normal thing in sport.

St George and Souths won just about every title from 1950-1971. Parramatta and the Bulldogs dominated the 80's. The Broncos dominated the 90's. The Roosters and Storm were the best performed clubs of the 2000's. Even in other sports, in Scottish football the league has been going since the late 90's (in current form) and only 2 teams have won it. In Super Rugby NZ teams have won 17 out 24 titles.

And it's only now people are complaining. Very strange

Big Pete

Referee
Congrats Storm fans, that was a quality win and you definitely have a team to be proud of.

I thought they won it off the back of their adventurous style of play. A lot of fans expected it would be an arm wrestle and both teams would tuck the ball under their arm, but Melbourne from the outset backed their skill-set and it paid off for them. That early try was always going to be crucial and while it took some skill for Addo-Carr to keep it alive, that's the luxury of having a player of his class on the wing for you.

Then the defence to keep Penrith at bay. There were two possibly three times where Penrith would have scored against most teams, but the scramble and defence on the line was impeccable. They did a fantastic job on Kikau and that really blunted the Panthers attack. It led into their frustration which saw Cleary rifle that pass out and the moment Suli set sail for the line, the Storm had one hand on the trophy and never let go.

Tough loss for the Panthers fans, but from what I've seen you've carried yourself with plenty of grace and I've enjoyed reading your insights over on the Panthers board. Nothing went your way in that opening half and I don't think any team past or present would have won it with so many things going against them. Obviously a few calls went your way late and your team made the most of them, but your disappointment in that opening half is well and truly understandable.

Despite falling short, the 2020 Panthers were a quality team and proof positive that a development club can enjoy success in this competition.

It's been a joy to watch all these young players from both clubs the Ryan Papenhuyzens, Jarome Luais, Tino Fa'asuamaleauis, James Fisher-Harris' and Brandon Smiths come of age and forge a new legacy in the game.

It's been a very tough year and it's a credit to the players and the officials we got to this point. Hopefully the game can recover and the competition only gets more exciting in the years ahead.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
I feel the early error by the storm put the panthers on tilt.
They were never going to score there against a fresh defensive line. Working for a repeat set was the play there.
It took the panthers far too long to settle down after that opening.
Really enjoyed the game though. It was great to see what the panthers were made of after going behind by 26 after that scintillating try by papenhauzen. Not a finger laid on him from around 60 metres out.
The storm thoroughly deserved that win pure and simple

Latest posts