What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jamberoo

Juniors
I agree with this. How does a born and bred Victorian, hardcore Melbourne Storm supporter feel about statements like this?

I love it that he throws jabs at the AFL but to include the Victorian comment is throwing jabs at some of our RL family
Victorians couldn’t care less. He has zero presence here. We are pretty comfortable with where we sit in the world of sport and are used to NSW’s jealousy of it.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Victorians couldn’t care less. He has zero presence here. We are pretty comfortable with where we sit in the world of sport and are used to NSW’s jealousy of it.

Hate to say it but Victoria may have some successful teams and big events but the Aussie cricket, soccer, League, Union and plethora of other international sports would be utterly dour without NSW. Victoria are good at producing Victorian rules players and maybe some basketball players, not much else in recent times...

GAZF

First Grade
Did you attend the game last night? I think you may have caught a bit of the smug.

AJB1102

First Grade
Do you really think PVL’s comment will unsettle the AFL? Hardly. It appears PVL’s vegetarians in Queensland like meat and also ABBA. His stuff is funny but of little consequence. The good news is that in VIctoria no one knows who he is and whatever derogatory comments he makes will have zero affect on the popularity of RL. We will just have a chuckle and and continue winning just about everything.

So long as it's within 25kms of your home.*

Another *.

Not just Queenslander’s mate, every state cops it but once the serve is returned they go to pieces. Apparently its the only place in the country that has “culture” (whatever that means) which I assume is what they call sitting in a laneway drinking a coffee.

What V’Landys is aware of is the constant migration of fumble loving Victorians to Queensland (which is their reference to the Gold Coast) because they like holidays there so want to live there. Letting Brisbane run with a single NRL team gives the AFL equal presence (as on the GC) hence his push to bring in that second team and reinforce the heartland. Potentially a third team one day on the Sunshine Coast isn’t out of the question either as the temp status of the Storm demonstrated this year.

He’s a great leader. He knows how to unsettle the AFL people that have had a charmed run for 30 years and journos doing their mudslinging for them. Robert Craddock attempting to stick the boot in yesterday in another death riding article, by reporting origin 3 in Brisbane is struggling to sell tickets despites sales not opening tomorrow is a prime example. V’Landys will hit back at that stuff.
Victoria's culture is one of insecurity and underachievement on the sporting field. It's always been little brother to NSW but cannot accept it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I've had tourists ask me why Brisbane only has 1 team if it is an RL city. They don't understand why Sydney has 9 and we have 1. The only way to well and truly quell this misconception is by giving Brisbane a total of 3 or 4 teams by 2050, preferably sooner if it is sustainable. If a smaller metro area like Adelaide can support 2 AwFuL clubs in a city of 1.3 million, with the 2nd team introduced when the population was just 1.1 million, there's no reason Brisbane metro's 2.406 million people cannot support 3 clubs.

2,406,000 / 3 = 802,000 people per NRL club in Brisbane

1,300,000 / 2 = 650,000 people per AwFuL club in Adelaide

Maybe our mate from Perth can explain why he thinks it's okay for Adelaide to have 650,000 per AwFuL club but Brisbane cannot be allowed to have anything less than 1,203,000 per NRL club.

Just a side note to this, I meet lots of international students through my wife's connection to the Latin American community (she's Colombian) and I find it so cool that going to a Broncos game at Suncorp is the ''cool'' thing to do in Brisbane. It is seen by them as a 'must-do' event which is really nice to see. No other team in the city enjoy this status and long may it continue.

A second side and a derby game can only help this.

Homo man69

Juniors
It’s funny how the eastern states hate each other so much.I grew up in Western Sydney and I remember everyone really hating on Victorians. If a new kid showed up at school and he was from Melbourne. He would literally get spat on. You would think that we would hate Queensland more due to SOO. I wonder who would win if we had civil war? Thank you for reading HomoMan’s thoughts of the day:pray:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I wish he did more for RL in Logan. If there's an RL heartland on Australia that has been left to fend for itself it's Logan. No player has more clout than Cam.

Yeah I agree that Logan needs more love.

Have you had any indication of anyone from Logan trying to revive a QLD Cup presence? South-Logan is logan by name only. They play at West End and just have the Logan part to get access to the juniors. You would know better than me that no one in Logan connects with the Souths Logan Magpies at all and the cultures of the two places couldn't be more opposite.

Homo man69

Juniors
Trust me no one is jealous of Victoria. Melbourne people are the biggest wankers in the country. Not saying all of them are but I’ve met so many that are obnoxious.
Yep I went on a trip to NT and we went on a day tour. 3 Victorians sat at the back of the bus talking about G*ayFL the whole time. One said `Hey mate who do ya thinks gonna win tonight‘? I said the Eels. 2 of them refused to speak to me the whole day and the other went how crap Rugby is and how the Wallabies never win etc etc loud enough for me to hear. I didn’t even bother correcting him.

Yeah I agree that Logan needs more love.

Have you had any indication of anyone from Logan trying to revive a QLD Cup presence? South-Logan is logan by name only. They play at West End and just have the Logan part to get access to the juniors. You would know better than me that no one in Logan connects with the Souths Logan Magpies at all and the cultures of the two places couldn't be more opposite.
I read that the QRL met with the Logan City Council about leasing fields at Heritage Park and adding a Logan team into the Queensland Cup.

Magpies claim they tried to expand into Logan in the mid-2000s but weren't well received. I do remember reading stories in the Albert & Logan News from the time of them having meet and greets at shopping centres. They played a few games at Meakin Park, but the last was around 2007-08. If they really gave a shit about Logan then they would move to Brandon Park at Acacia Ridge, as it's far more accessible.

I think one of the high schools, possibly Mable Park, has formed a deal with the Magpies to install lights so the team can run some training sessions there, but I could be wrong.

Easts Tigers are targeting the new estates at Yarrabilba and Flagstone. The Brisbane Firehawks bid is probably the best bet for Logan at this stage.

Yep I went on a trip to NT and we went on a day tour. 3 Victorians sat at the back of the bus talking about G*ayFL the whole time. One said `Hey mate who do ya thinks gonna win tonight‘? I said the Eels. 2 of them refused to speak to me the whole day and the other went how crap Rugby is and how the Wallabies never win etc etc loud enough for me to hear. I didn’t even bother correcting him.
I've encountered this sort of thing from Victorians who think they're cultured because they worship fumbleball.

There's always some idiot from Victoria attending an Ashes Test at Lords or Tour de France stage while wearing an AwFuL guernsey. The locals probably think it's a basketball singlet.

Latest posts