What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 has forced the NRL into having a better schedule. Let's make it permanent.

Origin during or after the club season?

• Total voters

T-Boon

Coach
Just you, why should a 37 year old need to come out of rep retirement just the please a few Queenslanders?

to prove he isn’t a coward. He always wants to play surrounded by stars. Never once has he been in a weaker team. Downhill skier.

greenBV4

Bench
to prove he isn’t a coward. He always wants to play surrounded by stars. Never once has he been in a weaker team. Downhill skier.
I dont think you can call any state of origin team a "weaker side"
Always wanting to play surrounded by stars? He's a one-club player? its not like he's moving clubs every other year chasing fame, he makes his fame

GongPanther

Referee
In theory I like it at the end. But I would rather get internationals post season. They need to find a way to make origin less disruptive to the regular season though.
Have the origins spaced out more evenly. Because a season is 24 rounds, have an Origin match between every 5 rounds, which takes the regular season left with 6 rounds to go after the final Origin game.

BadnMean

Juniors
It's a better schedule, but why on earth are origins still midweek when they are post season?

Would be way better for fans if they were every Saturday for 3 weeks right?

Billythekid

First Grade
I still want it mid season, it just needs to be standalone. The post season should be for international footy (once that’s happening again).

SBD82

Coach
Have the origins spaced out more evenly. Because a season is 24 rounds, have an Origin match between every 5 rounds, which takes the regular season left with 6 rounds to go after the final Origin game.
5 weeks between origins?

I’m going to assume that you’re still smug comedown effected.

Last Week

Bench
March 5th - NRL season starts.
Rounds 1 - 12 are played and season is suspended.

May 30th (Sunday) - Origin 1
June 6th (Sunday) - Origin 2
June 13th (Sunday) - Origin 3
Obviously test matches should be arranged here also.

June 18th - NRL season resumes
Rounds 13 - 24 are played.
September 5th - NRL season ends.
October 3rd (public holiday the day after) - Grand Final

October 23rd - 27th November - RLWC

And for future years, the entire month of November and the last 2 weeks of October should be dedicated to international matches.

The main difference between this format and the current is that the season starts 2 weeks earlier.

jim_57

Staff member
3 stand alone weekends for Origin & Internationals mid-season. Post season Origin is bad for everyone, for one it affects tests and world cups. Secondly Origin games would definitely start to decline when clubs pull out players every year because they need surgery.

If a player has a niggling injury that they can play through but needs surgery post season no way is any club going to be happy for that player to have their surgery & recovery time delayed 4-8 weeks and eat it to their off season or next season.

I'd keep 3 weeks between Origins to keep the season rolling, but no rounds where Origin players have to sit out. Play no Sunday games the round before Origin if necessary so they have an 7-8 day camp.

greenBV4

Bench
Reading these has convinced me end of year is a bad idea and won't be repeated, but, i think the "extended squad" 3 week series will be a hit

Move those 3 weeks to a standalone midpoint of the season and we have a winner - along with hopefully a fully fleshed out and more consistent international calendar

Danish

Referee
Whatever we can do to stop origin dominating 50% of the season like it normally does is fine by me.

Having a 3 week break in the middle of the season is a good idea. Having it all done after the season and before tests isn't a bad idea either. Can be a proper selection for the kangaroos that way.

I just don't want to go back to the old system where players are missing for 6-8 weeks of the year because of origin and the inevitable resting that it leads to. Not to mention the media blackout of all other footy coverage during that period. It grows tiresome.