What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
There was perfect little storm for the AFL. First night time GF, first all Victorian in a decade, first away from the MCG and the lockdown in Melb.
It's not hard to see why it drew more interest from the casual viewer. In comparison, even a lot of rusted on league fans weren't enthusiastic for our match up.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Agreed, the AFL had a big traditional game that caught the imagination of AFL fans. Both have big followings and Richmond like Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton stir an emotion in you ie. love them or hate them. Penrith leave you impartial not really caring unless you follow them.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I actually thought it was good narrative if NRL had any marketing nouse about them. Big city v small suburb, Melb v Sydney, old goat v new kids on the block, 17 streak run etc etc. Plenty there you could have built a week long campaign on. Sadly neither Ch9 or NRL bothered and so we reap what we sow. Id love to know what they spend $20mill of contra a year on!!

The Melbourne audience was outstanding, SA and WA what we've come to expect with no effort put in and Brisbane OK. Once again its the NRL Sydney audience in comparison to the AFL Melbourne audience that lets the game down.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The media in Melbourne was very excited by the Tigers v Geelong game.

What people in Melbourne are saying is how biased Phil Gould is on the commentary.

greenBV4

Bench
What people in Melbourne are saying is how biased Phil Gould is on the commentary.
which is a very valid point tbh - it sticks out like a sore thumb

he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a commentary box for any game involving Melbourne against a sydney team, or any game with the panthers or roosters playing. He straight up can't contain his bias. If someone like Andrew Johns can put his biases aside im sure Gus can manage, he's allowed to have it, just keep it to twitter and out of the box

yakstorm

First Grade
The last AFLW Grand Final had a total audience of 409,000 (321,000 Metro), so the fact the NRLW got 552,000 on FTA alone, plus another 130,000 on PayTV is very impressive, especially when you have a 3.5 hour gap between the start times of both matches (zero chance of anyone just 'tuning in early' to boost numbers).

For me, the concerning part with the ratings is we still failed to crack 3m nationally, which is concerning, especially when you look back at 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016 we were pushing the 4 million mark.
  • 2005: Tigers v Cowboys (4.1 million)
  • 2006: Storm v Broncos (3.98 million)
  • 2007: Sea Eagles v Storm (3.81 million)
  • 2008: Sea Eagles v Storm (3.05 million)
  • 2009: Storm v Eels (3.68 million)
  • 2010: Dragons v Roosters (3.34 million)
  • 2011: Sea Eagles v Warriors (3.34 million)
  • 2012: Bulldogs v Storm (3.96 million)
  • 2013: Roosters v Sea Eagles (3.35 million)
  • 2014: Rabbitohs v Bulldogs (3.99 million)
  • 2015: Broncos v Cowboys (3.77 million)
  • 2016: Sharks v Storm (3.79 million)
  • 2017: Storm v Cowboys (3.37 million)
  • 2018: Roosters v Storm (3.03 million)
  • 2019: Roosters v Raiders (2.64 million)

Marlins

Juniors
The last AFLW Grand Final had a total audience of 409,000 (321,000 Metro), so the fact the NRLW got 552,000 on FTA alone, plus another 130,000 on PayTV is very impressive, especially when you have a 3.5 hour gap between the start times of both matches (zero chance of anyone just 'tuning in early' to boost numbers).

For me, the concerning part with the ratings is we still failed to crack 3m nationally, which is concerning, especially when you look back at 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016 we were pushing the 4 million mark.
  • 2005: Tigers v Cowboys (4.1 million)
  • 2006: Storm v Broncos (3.98 million)
  • 2007: Sea Eagles v Storm (3.81 million)
  • 2008: Sea Eagles v Storm (3.05 million)
  • 2009: Storm v Eels (3.68 million)
  • 2010: Dragons v Roosters (3.34 million)
  • 2011: Sea Eagles v Warriors (3.34 million)
  • 2012: Bulldogs v Storm (3.96 million)
  • 2013: Roosters v Sea Eagles (3.35 million)
  • 2014: Rabbitohs v Bulldogs (3.99 million)
  • 2015: Broncos v Cowboys (3.77 million)
  • 2016: Sharks v Storm (3.79 million)
  • 2017: Storm v Cowboys (3.37 million)
  • 2018: Roosters v Storm (3.03 million)
  • 2019: Roosters v Raiders (2.64 million)
I’d like to see the streaming numbers first before been too concerned.

yakstorm

First Grade
I’d like to see the streaming numbers first before been too concerned.

Fair call, it's hard to get numbers from Nine about streaming, especially from a like to like sense.

Last year the only figure I could find was that the match was streamed 418,000 times which was up 118% on the year before (so around 190K).

Now I don't know how they count that and whether that is more of something to add to the peak or average.

Assuming we got similar numbers this year (which is conservative as generally streaming goes up) and that can be added to the average, then a 3.4m audience is not bad, but I worry that it may just be anyone who put the stream on for 30 seconds or more.

The_Wookie

Bench
My apologies if this has been answered previously but since the NRL has a team from NZ in the comp how come the NZ figures aren't included in GF viewing numbers.

NZ ratings figures havent been available since 2015 when Throng closed down. And there hasnt been enough information released about them since to make even an educated guess.

The_Wookie

Bench
Fair call, it's hard to get numbers from Nine about streaming, especially from a like to like sense.

Last year the only figure I could find was that the match was streamed 418,000 times which was up 118% on the year before (so around 190K).

Now I don't know how they count that and whether that is more of something to add to the peak or average.

Assuming we got similar numbers this year (which is conservative as generally streaming goes up) and that can be added to the average, then a 3.4m audience is not bad, but I worry that it may just be anyone who put the stream on for 30 seconds or more.

Last year on 9NOW

• The top VPM of the 2019 NRL season was the NRL Grand Final, which achieved a live average VPM of 84,000, an increase of 86% year-on-year.
• 9Now saw 29,000 new sign-ups for the 2019 NRL Grand Final Day alone.
https://www.mediaweek.com.au/nrl-2019-report-card-nine-says-record-audience-increased-revenue/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nine reports the biggest live BVOD audience of all time with a Live Average BVOD Audience of 153,000 on 9NOW, peaking at 282,000 (BVOD Reach). This equates to 19.6 Million minutes and 500,000 stream starts.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/nine-records-biggest-ever-live-bvod-audience-on-nrl-grand-final-day/

Is there an advantage to watching it streaming on your smart tv than on the main channel? Or are that many people really sat watching it on their phones?

I watched it through Ch9 on Foxtel box, is that counted as main channel or bvod?

greenBV4

Bench
Is there an advantage to watching it streaming on your smart tv than on the main channel? Or are that many people really sat watching it on their phones?

I watched it through Ch9 on Foxtel box, is that counted as main channel or bvod?
I dont pick up ch7 on the telle in the room i like to watch footy in, i guess the same thing could happen to some people with 9

its not just phones either, If i want to watch 7 I hdmi it from my laptop, i guess there'd also be a handfull of people with proper media room with projectors from their laptop too

Last edited: