What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

snickers007

Juniors
The one thing in all this that isn't speculation is the Storms first try. That's a penalty try every time. Our first was also a blatant obstruction.

Penalty tries are tricky.

The particular rule interpretation that they applied last night was introduced to stop a very specific and deliberate act that was extremely dangerous to the ball carrier. What we saw last night, was not dangerous at all, and I'm not even sure it was intentional given how May was standing when he attempted the tackle.

Defenders are allowed to steal the ball in try scoring positions. We routinely see contact with the head in try scoring plays (not straight up hit around the head - but grapple style when trying to stop the grounding). And I've seen plenty of tries disallowed because the ball was planted on a defenders foot.

Penalty tries are awarded if the Ref or Video Ref is of the opinion that "a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team".

"Unfair play" is never defined in the rulebook, or the NRL's interpretation document.

Misconduct or foul play is defined as when a player "trips, kicks or strikes another player"

May didn't kick the player.

Basically, the decision didn't fit the 'crime'. This was not a Billy Slater sprinting and sliding feet first into an outstretched player diving for the corner. This was an off balance player extending his foot 3 inches to get under the ball.

It was a massive over-reaction, and reeks of the video referee trying to show off his "knowledge of the rules". Gotta say, all 4 tries that they overturned were dead wrong, and I'll be surprised if we see Steve Chiddy in the box again.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We lost because the team and Ivan choked, simple as that. Melbourne were shit and right there for the taking

We lost because the team and Ivan choked, simple as that. Melbourne were shit and right there for the taking

Some kind of self inflicted bizarre panic mode in the first half. Players wandering off on their own mentally. Tyrone had a complete rugby league breakdown trying to save that try. Kiks ate too many red snakes before the match.

They were trying hard to lose the match in the last 20, but you left your run ( and Naden) too late.

But at least you were there!

GongPanther

Referee
Soward: Where the grand final was won and lost

Jamie Soward

Melbourne dominated the big moments and their class prevailed as they secured what should go down as the most special of their six premierships.

But make no mistake: the young Panthers will win a title in the near future and they would have gained a lot from Sunday's grand final.

Craig Bellamy now has an undeniable case for being the greatest coach of all time, while Cameron Smith - the greatest player - was masterful at controlling things in the 26-20 win.

However, I didn't think the Storm were necessarily the best team for long periods. The Panthers had the upper hand emotionally at times, but couldn't execute on their chances - which Melbourne did.

Penrith's halves, Nathan Cleary and, in particular, Jarome Luai will have learned from the tough experience.

Jarome took a while to find a groove. I know Penrith wanted to get second-rower Viliame Kikau into the game, but I would've liked to have seen Luai run the ball more himself with his dangerous ad-lib style.

Nathan probably went into his shell a bit. His first attacking kick wasn't a great one, and although he adjusted, things didn't go to plan.

That was highlighted by the pass he threw which Suliasi Vunivalu intercepted to score leading up to half-time. All week Penrith would have spoken about passing short and getting to the outside that way.

Ultimately, it was the play that swung the match firmly in the Storm's favour as they went to a 16-0 lead. I don't think Melbourne would have allowed a try to be scored after the ball was intercepted.

Nathan and Jarome both had outstanding seasons and they'll continue to lead the Panthers into an era of great success.

Going back to the start of the match, Penrith earning possession right away after the Storm bungled the kick-off was perhaps the worst result for the minor premiers.

Their first set was very conservative, as though they were shocked by having the ball, compared to their normal style. That worried me. I knew the Storm would hold out for long periods.

Melbourne then found their rhythm and scored a penalty try through Justin Olam when Tyrone May dislodged the ball with his boot.

I thought the correct call was made. Unfortunately for Tyrone, the move to start him in the centres again didn't really pay off.

Penrith wrestled back momentum and had plenty of intensity but couldn't break Melbourne's line down. The Storm strangled them with a couple of penalty goals before Vunivalu's try.

And then Smith went over after Api Koroisau swiped at the ball and knocked it loose.

The slow start and a multitude of errors cruelled the Panthers. They did the same throughout the finals, conceding the first try to the Roosters and Rabbitohs as well, but it really hurt them on the big stage against a champion team.

After deserved Clive Churchill Medal winner Ryan Papenhuyzen burned past May and Cleary to claim a long-range try, the Panthers side that won 17 straight games turned up for half an hour.

They shouldn't have been awarded a try to Brian To'o. Isaah Yeo ran behind his player and took an advantage before kicking - if he had've passed it wouldn't have been a four-pointer.

Conceding 20 points in quick time to finish the game wasn't very Melbourne-like, but they very much deserved their win. Smith gave Penrith a masterclass in staying composed no matter the situation.

Halfback Jahrome Hughes was fantastic, as was Papenhuyzen, while five-eighth Cameron Munster just did his job.

If someone said a few years ago that the Storm would win another premiership after legends Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater left, I don't think many would have believed it.

But Craig and Cameron continue to find new ways to win. And this time it was in extraordinary circumstances given they've been based on the Sunshine Coast since June due to COVID-19's impact.

I've praised the Warriors for saving the competition and so many jobs with what they scarified this season, but Melbourne are right there with them.

The Storm don't always get their due credit or accolades because they're forever at the top. It's tall-poppy syndrome - many people want to see someone else win.

But the 2020 title will be the one that is talked about for years. The one that proved they could do it anywhere, anytime, against anyone with everything on the line. A remarkable effort.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/26/soward-where-the-grand-final-was-won-and-lost/

RedVee

First Grade
Some kind of self inflicted bizarre panic mode in the first half. Players wandering off on their own mentally. Tyrone had a complete rugby league breakdown trying to save that try. Kiks ate too many red snakes before the match.

They were trying hard to lose the match in the last 20, but you left your run ( and Naden) too late.

But at least you were there!
Too many red snakes??? Hahaha I like that.

first half reminded me of 2001.

I hope you guys bounce back next year. If you make the 21 GF I think you’ll win it.

T-Boon

Coach
Is anyone with me thinking NFL like 3 point conversions would be great for rugby league. It would really have been exciting last night with the come back. Playing catch up watching a team go out to score convert tries rather than 1 guy converting kicks would be really entertaining stuff.

snickers007

Juniors
Is anyone with me thinking NFL like 3 point conversions would be great for rugby league. It would really have been exciting last night with the come back. Playing catch up watching a team go out to score convert tries rather than 1 guy converting kicks would be really entertaining stuff.

Didn't they try that in the All-Stars game for a few years? I seem to remember it being an epic failure.

age.s

First Grade
The decision I couldn't understand was the Smith one. The ball is in his hands. He's about to pass, but hasn't by the time Api hits him. Api hits the ball but doesn't appear to be attempting a strip. The ball comes free and it's a loose carry/knock on surely.

The_Frog

First Grade
It did go up and the footage showed May kicked the ball out?
He was trying to get the leg under the ball. This rule was brought in to stop the dangerous practice of kicking at the ball. That's not what happened here. Olam attempting to ground the ball placed it on the foot/leg. There was no kicking action. The leg remains straight. A very tough call.

Whino

Bench
He was trying to get the leg under the ball. This rule was brought in to stop the dangerous practice of kicking at the ball. That's not what happened here. Olam attempting to ground the ball placed it on the foot/leg. There was no kicking action. The leg remains straight. A very tough call.

I thought the penalty try was rough. It looked accidental, but I am biased.

Last edited:

No I respectfully disagree.

It was dangerous at least to the extent that Olly could have collided with his knee being a bony structure which have may have concussed him or worse.

It was poor decision making and very risky.

It wreaked of panic and carelessness.

franklin2323

Immortal
No I respectfully disagree.

It was dangerous at least to the extent that Olly could have collided with his knee being a bony structure which have may have concussed him or worse.

It was poor decision making and very risky.

It wreaked of panic and carelessness.

So you just him score? Of course the player will go to get under the ball

franklin2323

Immortal
The decision I couldn't understand was the Smith one. The ball is in his hands. He's about to pass, but hasn't by the time Api hits him. Api hits the ball but doesn't appear to be attempting a strip. The ball comes free and it's a loose carry/knock on surely.

Yeah but it is Cameron Smith so always was going to be a try

So you just him score? Of course the player will go to get under the ball

Tyrone wasn’t trying to get under the ball in any conventional sense. He tried to use his leg as a shield.

I agree it wasn’t a traditional boot to the ball and kick head thing.

But it was incumbent upon him to get low and try to hold the ball up somehow with him arms.

But he takes the easy option.

If he’d tried the traditional approach , they wouldn’t have had the penalty. So it was costly.

You can’t really risk hurting Olly because he’s about to score. You see defenders skip over scorers all the time instead of hurting them.

Tyrone wasn’t responsible for the lead up that caused the try, I understand that, but in my view, it was otherwise too close for comfort.

I thought they penalty was ok. But that incident was probably the least of my concerns for the panthers in the first half. I am not submitting Tyrone is a grub etc, it was just a mistake in the midst of battle.

franklin2323

Immortal
Tyrone wasn’t trying to get under the ball in any conventional sense. He tried to use his leg as a shield.

I agree it wasn’t a traditional boot to the ball and kick head thing.

But it was incumbent upon him to get low and try to hold the ball up somehow with him arms.

But he takes the easy option.

If he’d tried that, they wouldn’t have had the penalty.

You can’t really risk hurting Olly because he’s about to score. You see defenders skip over scorers all the time instead of hurting them.

Tyrone wasn’t responsible for the lead up that caused the try, I understand that, but in my view, it was otherwise too close for comfort.

I thought they penalty was ok. But that incident was probably the least of my concerns for the panthers in the first half. I am not submitting Tyrone is a grub etc, it was just a mistake in the midst of battle.

Gutherson did similar. I think it was against the WT it was given as no try. Both looked very similar but different person in the box so different decisions. Hence why I see it as a 50/50 one of a few that went against us but the players need to own that poor performance

T-Boon

Coach
Didn't they try that in the All-Stars game for a few years? I seem to remember it being an epic failure.

I never saw that but how could it be judged an epic failure off one all stars game? I understand the die hard no rule changes ever crowd would have laughed it off straight away. But goal kicks/conversions are a stupid tip of the hat to union if you ask me. They are not entertaining hence why people hated the Bennett led take the 2 movement.

Latest posts