What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG HUNTERS 2021

mikail-eagle

Bench
The PNG Hunters will be willing to relocate to Australia next year similar to what the NZ Warriors did if next years ISC Competition is going to be held in a bubble in QLD.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/marape-pledges-hunters-support/

Marape pledges Hunters support
October 20, 2020The NationalSports

By PARKER TAMBUA
PRIME Minister James Marape says the Government will help relocate the SP Hunters if the Queensland Rugby League goes ahead with having all Intrust Super Cup (ISC) teams based in Australia next year.

The Tari-Pori MP, who is also the sports minister, made the comment during the presentation of the Digicel Cup at Sir John Guise Stadium in Port Moresby yesterday.
“If the QRL allows the Hunters to continue next season, together with the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL), we are willing to help relocate them to Queensland next year,” Marape said.

PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka was also present when the country’s chief executive made the announcement.
Tsaka told The National yesterday that a statement would be made on the 2017 ISC champions tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Marape congratulated the Hela Wigmen and Lae Tigers for reaching the Digicel Cup grand final.
“Thank you to the sponsors and supporters of both teams,” he said.
“Congratulations on making the final.
“Unfortunately, one has to win and Wigmen have done so.
“I am also the Tari-Pori MP and I am from Hela but I must remain neutral as the prime minister.
“Thank you to Lae Biscuit Company and the Chow family for supporting Tigers.
“The Tigers have set the bar for PNG rugby league and congratulations to them.”
Marape said despite Covid-19 affecting many businesses this year, sponsors such as Digicel had continued to support the country’s premier rugby league competition.
“Digicel has been supporting rugby league in the country for more than ten years now,” he said.
“This year, with Covid-19, it has been a challenge but I thank them for continuing to support the game.
“Thank you to all the sponsors of every franchise for their support.
“This shows that rugby league still remains the No.1 sport in the country.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
Not sure if I agree with this.
Personally I think that if there is ever going to be a second PNG Team in the QCUP than it has to be either based in Lae or Kokopo.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/pngrfl-makes-call/

PNGRFL makes call

PAPUA New Guinea National Rugby League Competition manager Stanley Hondina says the Port Moresby Vipers could re-enter the Queensland Cup alongside the SP Hunters.
He said during the Vipers’ awards night on Thursday that the city’s flagship team had competed in the second-tier Australian competition in the 1990s.
The Digicel Cup boss made the statement on behalf of PNG Rugby Football League chairman Sandis Tsaka who was unable to attend the event.
“The other message that he (Tsaka) asked me to pass on is that the Vipers have already been in the Queensland Cup,” Hondina said.
“If we can have another team from PNG out there, he (Tsaka) wants it to be the Vipers.
“The Vipers have been there and they can do it.”
National Capital District Governor and Vipers patron Powes Parkop said the club had a long-term goal of securing Queensland Cup re-entry.
Meanwhile, he said the Vipers’ home ground, Sir Hubert Murray Stadium, would be ready by next year.
“The new home venue will have world-class facilities, including a club house for the Vipers,” Parkop said.
“There are also more sponsors who are willing to support the team next after seeing the Vipers’ successes this season.
“With the support, the Vipers will come back stronger next year.”
He congratulated the Vipers, who finished the Digicel Cup regular season in fourth place, for reaching the finals for the first time in six years.

mikail-eagle

Bench
What is the current state of Covid in PNG?[/QUOL)

Life is just about back to normal.
We had about 580+ positive cases resulting in 7 fatalities.
The rest recovered.

Schools are now all open.
Shopping malls and markets are all open.
Bars, hotels and night clubs are all open.

And sporting venues are all open too now. All other sports like Rugby union, AFL, soccer, basketball etc are all back under way.

Travel restrictions within the country has also been lifted and flights have resumed to normal.

I think travel into and out of Australia still requires 14 days self isolation and all that stuff but Travel into and out of Asia is still the only one not fully open yet.

Dakink

Bench
Life is just about back to normal.
We had about 580+ positive cases resulting in 7 fatalities.
The rest recovered.

Schools are now all open.
Shopping malls and markets are all open.
Bars, hotels and night clubs are all open.

And sporting venues are all open too now. All other sports like Rugby union, AFL, soccer, basketball etc are all back under way.

Travel restrictions within the country has also been lifted and flights have resumed to normal.

I think travel into and out of Australia still requires 14 days self isolation and all that stuff but Travel into and out of Asia is still the only one not fully open yet.

Thanks, here's hoping that the Hunters are able to stay in PNG next season then!

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/boas-welcomes-talks-to-relocate-hunters-to-queensland/

Boas welcomes talks to relocate Hunters to Queensland
October 28, 2020The NationalSports

SP Hunters captain Ase Boas has welcome talks of relocating the Intrust Super Cup (ISC) side to Queensland, Australia, next year.
The Queensland Rugby League is understood to be considering the option of having all ISC teams based in Australia next year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The 2017 ISC premiership winner told The National last week that he would make the sacrifice of staying away from his family for the entire season next year if necessary.
“For me, it will not be a problem,” the 31-year-old Port Moresby Viper said.
“I will be happy to make that sacrifice for the club and our country if it means we will be based in Queensland next year.
“I know my family will be supportive.
“It will not be the first time for me to live away from home and my family.
“I’ve done that before and I know they will support me if things turn out that way.
“I can’t speak for others but I am sure most of the Hunters player will be willing to make that sacrifice as well.”
Prime Minister James Marape announced a fortnight ago that the Government would be willing to help the Hunters relocate to Queensland.
Meanwhile, Boas — who has so far played eight tests for Papua New Guinea — said he was hopeful of returning to the Kumuls for next year’s World Cup in England.
“I am winding down my career but my target now is to make the World Cup squad next year,” the former Rabaul Guria said.
“I know there is a lot of competition for spots in the halves.
“We have a number young ISC and National Rugby League playmakers who are also competing for spots.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/hunters-to-be-based-in-aust/

Hunters to be based in Aust
October 30, 2020The NationalSports

THE Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) has approved the relocation of the SP Hunters to Australia to compete in the Queensland Intrust Super Cup next season.
PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka said in a statement yesterday that he had advised Queensland Rugby League (QRL) chairman Bruce Hatcher of the decision.
“PNGRFL had been directed by the QRL to consider the option of relocating the Hunters to Australia for next season,” he said.
“This was based on advice from Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Queensland Health Department that international travel restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic would be maintained next year.”
Tsaka said the advice was taken into consideration prior to making the decision which would ensure the Hunters’ participation in the second-tier rugby league competition.
“The QRL advice was that the Hunters risked losing their right to participate in the Intrust Super Cup,” he said.
“PNGRFL was concerned about the long-term risk to PNG’s credibility to bid for future QRL, National Rugby League and/or international rugby league competitions if the club did not participate next season.
“The PNG LNG Kumuls participation and performance at next year’s Rugby League World Cup would also be seriously affected.”
Tsaka said Prime Minister and Sports Minister James Marape had publicly pledged the Government’s support for the Hunters’ relocation.
“PNGRFL acknowledges and appreciates the prime minister and his Government’s commitment for the Hunters to be based in Australia next year,” he said.
Tsaka said in planning for the relocation, PNGRFL and the QRL had undertaken a review of the club’s operations over the last few months to ensure efficiency and sustainability in its management and operations. “As part of this process, the club been restructured to be established as a separate incorporated association with its own independent governance and management structure,” he said.
“PNGRFL has nominated a new interim board comprising Stan Joyce (chairman), ambassador Robert Aisi, Frank Bouraga, Moses Williams, Ruth Waram (independent directors) and the PNGRFL chief executive as an ex-officio member.
“We have confidence that the new board and their management will be able to work with all our existing partners and reach out to new and potential partners to develop a football and business plan that builds on the legacy and success of the Hunters programme to ensure the continued commercial viability and success of the club into the future.”
Tsaka said whilst the decision had been made to relocate, “we realise there is still a lot of work to be done in PNG and Australia to ensure the team’s relocation is smooth and without any major issues”.
He extended PNGRFL’s gratitude to naming-rights sponsors SP Brewery and platinum sponsors PNG LNG for their continued support for next season.
“We are continuing discussions with the Hunters’ other existing partners who have not yet committed to next season and other potential new partners,” Tsaka said.
He said Hunters coach Matthew Church had submitted a programme for pre-season training which was due to start next month.
“Church will make these announcements, including the train-on squad, within the next week or so,” Tsaka said.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/sp-brewery-supports-relocation-call/

SP Brewery supports relocation call
November 9, 2020The NationalSports

SOUTH Pacific Brewery has backed the Hunters’ relocation to Australia for next season in the Queensland Intrust Super Cup.
The relocation announcement was made recently following approval from the Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League (PNGRFL) board and advice from the Queensland Rugby League (QRL).
“As the naming-rights sponsor of the SP Hunters, SP Brewery supports this move and will back the PNGRFL and other stakeholders to ensure a successful transition for the team and management,” company managing director Ed Weggemans said in a statement.
In a recent statement, PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka said the relocation decision was based on advice from Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Queensland Health Department that international travel restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic would be maintained next year.
“Health and safety is a priority at SP Brewery,” Weggemans said.
“Since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, we made sure to put in place protocols to mitigate the risk of contracting and/or spreading the virus.
“We implement the same precautions when we are engaging with our external clients.
“It is, therefore, pleasing to see PNGRFL taking into consideration our Australian stakeholder’s and partner’s health advice to relocate the team to Queensland.
“The pandemic isn’t over. We all have a responsibility to protect ourselves, our families and our community.
“Given the circumstance we are in, and under the ‘new normal’, we must look at alternate options to continue working, while at the same time, ensure all health protocols are adhered to. The brewery and other companies have invested significantly to ensure the progress of the Hunters.
“The company supports PNGRFL’s decision to relocate our team.
“It’s a bold move and we are confident that a change in environment will motivate our players.”
The brewery, through its mainstream brand SP Lager, has made a commitment to continue supporting the Hunters as the beer of rugby league.
“This year has been quite a challenge, however, the brewery has remained committed to the Hunters throughout the year.
“This commitment will remain next year, as we face the unknown.
“At this juncture, I would like to take the opportunity to congratulate PNGRFL’s new interim board comprising of former brewery managing director Stan Joyce (as chairman), ambassador Robert Aisi, Frank Bouraga, brewery commercial manager Moses Williams, Ruth Waram (independent directors) and the PNGRFL chief executive as an ex officio member.”
Tsaka said as part of the relocation process, the club was restructured to be established as a separate incorporated association with its own independent governance and management structure.
Weggemans expressed confidence in the new structure, saying that the independent directors were no strangers to rugby league and its history.
“The new incumbents come with a wealth of experience thus I have so much confidence in their leadership,” he said.
Meanwhile, Tsaka said PNGRFL and QRL had undertaken a review of the club’s operations over the last few months to ensure efficiency and sustainability in its management and operations.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.looppng.com/sport/hunters-2021-squad-announced-95803

PNG Hunters 2021 Squad

PNG Hunters Head Coach Mathew Church has announced a 37 pre-season squad in preparation for the 2021 Queensland Intrust Super Cup Season.

2020 Digical Cup Grand Finalists Hela Wigmen and Lae Tigers both have eight players announced in the squad which assembles on November 29th.

PNG Hunters Coach and PNG Rugby Football League Acting CEO, Stanley Hondina, today announced the pre-season squad for the 2021 Queensland Intrust Super Cup Season.

They include eight players from the Hela Wigmen and Lae Tigers, six players from the Rabaul Gurias, five from the Port Moresby Vipers, three from the Enga Mioks, two each from the Waghi Tumbe and Mendi Muruks, and one each from the Gulf Isou, Goroka Lahanis, and Kimbe Cutters.

The players are:
  1. Stargroth Amean - Port Moresby Vipers
  2. Keven Appo - Port Moresby Vipers
  3. Brandon Gotuno - Port Moresby Vipers
  4. Ase Boas - Port Moresby Vipers
  5. Enoch Maki - Port Moresby Vipers
  6. Junior Rau - Mendi Muruks
  7. Stanton Albert - Mendi Muruks
  8. Ricko Jimmy - Gulf Isou
  9. Brandan Nima - Goroka Lahanis
  10. Benji Kot - Kimbe Cutters
  11. Emmanuel Waine - Waghi Tumbe
  12. Casey Dickson - Waghi Tumbe
  13. Sunny Lipu - Enga Mioks
  14. Rhadley Brawa - Enga Mioks
  15. Ben Kennedy - Enga Mioks
  16. Edene Gebbie - Lae Tigers
  17. Joe Joshua - Lae Tigers
  18. Jokedi Bire - Lae Tigers
  19. Charlie Simon - Lae Tigers
  20. Junior Rop - Lae Tigers
  21. Mark Piti - Lae Tigers
  22. Sylvester Namo - Lae Tigers
  23. Edwin Ipape - Lae Tigers
  24. Norman Brown - Hela Wigmen
  25. Gilmo Paul - Hela Wigmen
  26. Solo Wane - Hela Wigmen
  27. Solomon Pokare - Hela Wigmen
  28. Judda Rimbu - Hela Wigmen
  29. Samuel Yegip - Hela Wigmen
  30. Jeffery Robert - Hela Wigmen
  31. Valentine Culligan - Hela Wigmen
  32. Terry Wapi - Rabual Gurias
  33. Jordan Pat - Rabual Gurias
  34. Ila Alu - Rabual Gurias
  35. Stanely Olo - Rabual Gurias
  36. Wartovo Puara Jnr- Rabual Gurias
  37. Epel Kapinias - Rabual Gurias
Apart from experience and form picked in the side, Church said a number of younger players have been included as part of the long term plan for the Hunters as many of the senior players are nearing the end of their careers.

Also Younger players will more likely be picked up by other clubs if they play well.

The Squad assembles on November 29th to begin training.

The Return home on December 23rd and resume camp on January 3rd 2021.

Church says by then they will be in a position to finalise the final squad for the 2021 competition.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Interesting piece from the Chairman of the PNGRFL.
The Hunters very nearly didn't make it to the ISC.

https://www.thenational.com.pg/the-road-to-isc-inclusion/

The road to ISC inclusion

Greetings to our rugby league family and welcome to our 34th edition of Fulltime Reserve, a weekly column to discuss all matters rugby league in our favourite newspaper, The National.

This week has seen the SP Hunters’ 2021 training squad assembled in Port Moresby for their pre-season training camp in preparation for their relocation to Australia early next year to participate in the 2021 Intrust Super Cup (ISC) season.

Over the last seven years, the SP Hunters team has given us many memorable results and performance both at home and in Australia, including the 2017 ISC premiership.
The team’s growth and success has coincided with and contributed immensely to the growth of the game in PNG, both in terms of supporting the domestic game and improving our international performances with the tremendous improvement in the performance of the Papua New Guinea LNG Kumuls and their international rankings.

The team’s performance and together with the committed support of our many local and international partners and the loyal and passionate fans and supporters across PNG has propelled the SP Hunters to become an iconic and flagship brand that is synonymous with the pride and heritage of the people and country it represents.

Looking back at the achievements of the club over the last seven years, we reflect with a sense of relief that all these would not have been possible had it not been for split PNG Rugby Football League board decision in September of 2013 that finally approved the Hunters’ participation in the Queensland ISC.

The PNGRFL board had been reluctant at first to commit to a massive project of the magnitude of the SP Hunters as the PNGRFL itself was just rebuilding after years of political infighting and demise in the management of the sport.

In fact, the PNGRFL board was divided as to whether the Hunters initiative was appropriate or even financially viable given (what was considered at the time to be) the huge need to restructure and develop the game in PNG.

We give credit to a lot of people especially PNGRFL chief executive Brad Tassel who was tireless in preparing the foundations for the club and the commitment of great partners like SP Brewery managing director Stan Joyce, Sports Minister Justin Tkatchenko and a host of committed individuals and partners who worked with us to support the program and give confidence to the board to finally approve the SP Hunters participation by a split decision of four to two after three previous unsuccessful board meetings.

Once the decision was made, we all got behind the decision to see it through and looking back, we are glad we made the right decision and the rest as they say, is history.

Join us on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages to follow this and more rugby league stories.

We can also be contacted via fulltimereserve@pngrfl.org.pg to provide feedback on issues covered in this column weekly or ask questions on matters that you would like us to discuss.

Until next week, may the grace, love and care of our Good Lord be with you.

Cheers,
Sandis

mikail-eagle

Bench
The PNG Hunters 37 men train on squad was cut by 2 last week.

Stargoth Amean withdrew from the squad to stay back in PNG due to his work commitments.
And Edene Gabi also withdrew from the Hunters as he has joined the West Tigers in the NRL.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/hunters-yet-to-find-a-home-venue/

Hunters yet to find a home venue

THE SP Hunters’ Queensland home ground is yet to be finalised but they will relocate to Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast for next season in the Intrust Super Cup (ISC) season.
Coach Matthew Church said on Monday that he wanted the Hunters’ home ground to be close to their base.
“The Runaway Bay Sports Centre is a high performance unit,” he said.
“The facility has been around for 20 years on the northern side of the Gold Coast.
“We will be based there for the season.
“Our home ground is yet to be decided but I would like it to be close to the facility to take advantage of being the home team and not having to travel.”
The Australian said the Hunters were hoping for the Queensland Rugby League to schedule their games every Saturday at 3pm to make it convenient for live coverage of their games to the Papua New Guinea audience.
“All the other teams in the ISC have been supportive of that but there one or two teams that have requested that they would not be there at that time,” Church said.
“But we are lucky that they (other teams) are valuing the fact that we are relocating as well so I hope that decision will be made by next month and we will know where and when we will play.”
Meanwhile, Church said the Hunters would engage in some commercial arrangements once the club had been established as an entity of its own.
“But we are still working on some documentation on the Hunters’ separation before we can actually enter into commercial arrangements, that’s coming and it’s in the pipeline,” he said.
“We just have to tick a few boxes and get the business side of things up and running so that we can square all that away.”

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/church-backs-ipape/

Hunters-3.jpg

Church backs Ipape
The NationalSports

By PARKER TAMBUA
AUSTRALIAN rugby league’s new six-again rule will suit Papua New Guinea Kumul Edwin Ipape and his SP Hunters teammates in the Intrust Super Cup (ISC) next season, says coach Matthew Church.
He said yesterday that the former Wynnum Manly Seagull’s inclusion in the Hunters squad was crucial, given his nippy play from dummy half.
“I was really excited when Edwin chose to join us,” the Australian said of the 21-year-old utility at the Oil Search National Football Stadium in Port Moresby.
“We all saw what he did in the test against Great Britain last year, what he did at the stroke of halftime was amazing.
“I think the new rule will suit some of his skills.
“I have really enjoyed getting to know him.
“I think there were some offers on the table for him with clubs overseas, similar to what he did with Manly (on a train-and-trial basis) recently.
“But for us, relocating to Queensland for next season is only going to benefit his career and our programme.”
Church said he was looking to play Ipape and fellow Kumul Wartovo Puara Jr in the starting side and from the bench respectively next season.
He said having the two international rakes would boost the attack of the 2017 champions.
Meanwhile, Church said new rule would suit PNG players as they were naturally fast.
“Speed was one thing I was looking out for at the Digicel Cup level,” the former Sunshine Coast Falcons assistant coach said.
“Although I know that ISC is played at a different level, it’s about recruiting players who have the leg speed to play over the advantage line.
“One advantage of the new rule is that it plays into what we are really good at.
“We have a lot of intent, we are naturally fast, evasive and hard to handle one-on-one.
“So if there’s one of those new rules that will suit us, this is the one.
“It’s about us taking advantage and me giving directions to pull it off.”
The six-again rule is the restarting of the tackle count when the defending team commits a ruck infringement

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/aiton-is-assistant-coach-of-hunters/

Paul-Aiton.jpg

Aiton is assistant coach of Hunters
January 12, 2021The NationalSports
Article Views : 0

KUMULS legend and former Penrith Panthers rake Paul Aiton has been named SP Hunters coach Matthew Church’s deputy for the upcoming Queensland Intrust Super Cup season.
The 35-year-old’s appointment was announced with the final 29-man squad – which boasts seven rookies from the Hela Wigmen, three from Lae Tigers and one from Kimbe Cutters – yesterday.
“Aiton was Kumul No.214, a former captain who represented PNG on 12 occasions and has more than 250 games of experience at the National Rugby League and English Super League level,” Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League chairman Sandis Tsaka said.
“He is in Queensland and he will link with the team when they exit the isolation period.”

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
https://www.thenational.com.pg/aiton-is-assistant-coach-of-hunters/

Paul-Aiton.jpg

Aiton is assistant coach of Hunters
January 12, 2021The NationalSports
Article Views : 0

KUMULS legend and former Penrith Panthers rake Paul Aiton has been named SP Hunters coach Matthew Church’s deputy for the upcoming Queensland Intrust Super Cup season.
The 35-year-old’s appointment was announced with the final 29-man squad – which boasts seven rookies from the Hela Wigmen, three from Lae Tigers and one from Kimbe Cutters – yesterday.
“Aiton was Kumul No.214, a former captain who represented PNG on 12 occasions and has more than 250 games of experience at the National Rugby League and English Super League level,” Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League chairman Sandis Tsaka said.
“He is in Queensland and he will link with the team when they exit the isolation period.”
Any chance of some additional info ME like ages and positions?

Also who are the players we should look out for and could maybe be picked up by an NRL outfit.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Any chance of some additional info ME like ages and positions?

Also who are the players we should look out for and could maybe be picked up by an NRL outfit.

Hey CM.
Have put up the list below with some info about the players. I've put down the ages of those that I know of.

Final List of 29 Players.

1. Stanton Albert - Prop/2nd row/lock Forward
2. Ila Alu -Prop Forward
3. Kevin Appo - 2nd row
4.Jokedi Bire - Centre (Rookie)
5. Ase Boas - Five-Eight
6. Norman Brown - (Rookie)
7. Casey Dickson- 2nd row
8. Brendon Gotuno - Winger
9. Edwin Ipape - Hooker/Halfback (Rookie but was with Wynnum-Manly in 2019)
10. Joe Joshua - Centre/Fullback
11. Epel Kapinias - 2nd row
12. Benji Kot - Centre (Rookie, 23yrs old)
13. Enock Maki - Prop Forward
14.Sylvester Namo - Prop Forward (Rookie)
15.Brendan Nima - Centre
16.Stanley Olo - Hooker/Halfback (Rookie)
17.Gilmo Paul - Centre (Rookie)
18. Mark Pitti - Prop (Rookie)
19. Solomon Pokari - Half/Five-Eight (Rookie)
20. Wartovo Puara Jr- Hooker (Returning from Barrow Raiders in UK)
21. Junior Rau - Winger
22. Judah Rimbu - Five-Eight (Rookie - 19 years old)
23. Jeffery Robert- 2nd row/lock (Rookie)
24. Junior Rop - 2nd row/Lock
25. Charlie Simon- Half/Five-Eight
26. Emmanuel Waine - 2nd row
27.Solo Wane - Winger (Rookie)
28.Terry Wapi - Fullback
29.Samuel Yegip.- Prop Forward (Rookie)

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/hunters-counting-on-rookies/

Back.jpg

Hunters counting on rookies

By ROBINSON LEKA
SP Hunters coach Matthew Church says the rookies in his final 29-man squad will lay the foundation for Digicel Cup players to enter tougher competitions like Australia’s National Rugby League (NRL).

Eleven rookies between the ages of 19 and 23 have been named in the final squad which will relocate to the Gold Coast for the upcoming Queensland Intrust Super Cup season.
“I’m happy with the experience in the team,” Church said.
“But there are 11 new faces in the squad and they’re all young.
“I believe the Hunters should be a pathway to tougher competitions.
“NRL clubs are monitoring younger players.
“They’re not picking someone between the ages of 26 and 27 years when they have just a few years of development left in them.
“But we want to draw from the experience of senior players, that’s why we’ve also selected men like Ase Boas and Wartovo Puara Jr.”

Meanwhile, Church said the late withdrawal of Hela Wigmen forward Valentine Culligan had opened up the possibility of adding another player to the squad.
But he said it would depend on how quick player applications were processed.
“We’re a bit hamstrung with the relocation and the (application) process,” the Australian said. “But we’re still working through a couple of things in and around the squad.”

Church said they were also looking at Queensland-based Papua New Guineans filling the void if the need arises.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/rookies-kot-rimbu-looking-forward-to-debut-under-church/

Rookies Kot, Rimbu looking forward to debut under Church

ROOKIES Benji Kot and Judah Rimbu say they are set for the upcoming Intrust Super Cup (ISC) season after making the final cut for the SP Hunters’ 29-man squad.

Kimbe Cutter Kot will be aiming for a spot in the starting side after an impressive Digicel Cup campaign which saw him being named as the centre of the year.
“I made the Hunters’ in 2020 train-on squad but I didn’t make the final cut,” the 23-year-old said.
“Since then, I’ve learned a lot of things and matured as a person.
“I knew that I would make the final cut this time around.
“We’ve learned a lot from the coach (Matthew Church) since the start of the pre-season training.
“We’re looking forward to embracing the new rules which are aimed at making the game faster.
“I’m looking forward to relocating to Australia for the season and wearing the Hunters jumper.
“Church has brought us up to speed with the ISC.
“He has taught us a lot about the game and we’re learning quickly.”

Meanwhile, Hela Wigman Rimbu said he was happy to make the final cut with the utility back continuing to impress Church during the pre-season.
“It’s a privilege to be part of the final squad and I know that it’s only through hard work that I’ve earned my spot,” he said.
“I’ve worked hard to make the squad and I’m excited about my rookie season in the ISC.
“We’ve learned so much like attacking the line, defensive drills and accuracy in kicking.”
But the Hela Wigman said they still had a lot to learn about the game and he was excited.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/hunters-await-approval/

Hunters await approval
January 26, 2021The NationalSports

THE SP PNG Hunters are awaiting approval from the Queensland Health Department on their chartered flight for their relocation to Brisbane for the 2021 Intrust Super Cup (ISC) season, says head coach Mathew Church.
With the squad set to depart on Sunday, Jan 31, Church said they might have to extend their stay in the country if their flight was not approved at least 72 hours in advance.
“We have to have Covid-19 tests within 72 hours of the flight and we’re still waiting on that approval on when that flight is actually going to go,” he said.
Church said if the approval was given later in the week closer to Sunday, they were likely to remain in the country in order to adhere to the protocol of being tested three days prior to travelling.
He said they would have an advantage if they travelled on a chartered flight than on a commercial flight which would require them to be quarantined in hotels upon their arrival.
“Travelling on a chartered flight helps us gain exception because if we go in a commercial flight then we’ll automatically go into hotel quarantine and you lose control when that happens,” Church said.
“If we’re randomly thrown in hotels then there’s no guarantee we’ll all be together, however, that might be the possibility too.”
He said travelling on a commercial flight would be the last resort if the charter approval did not pan out but he hoped for better.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.thenational.com.pg/pngrfl-commends-players-staff-for-sacrifices/

PNGRFL commends players, staff for sacrifices
January 26, 2021The NationalSports

By PARKER TAMBUA
THE Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League has commended the SP Hunters players and staff for sacrifices they have made in order for the team be part of the 2021 Intrust Super Cup season.
PNGRFL chairman Sandis Tsaka said this at the team’s farewell last week.
He said PNG’s preparations for 2021 Rugby League World Cup in England would have been badly impacted if the Hunters programme did not run after the 2020 season was cancelled.
“Last year the Hunters left for Brisbane for their round one game thinking they were going to come back after three days,” Tsaka said.
“Imagine if you packed your bags only for a three-day trip to Brisbane and then you were told to stay for another five days and later they shut down the border and our boys were asked to make the decision to stay back in Australia and complete the full season.
“Rugby league fraternity in PNG is touched by the sacrifice our players were willing to make and we congratulate them for their courage.
“And when they came back they also had to make sacrifice and were locked up in quarantine for two weeks.
“They were the first to do so in PNG when Covid-19 struck. It was well before the pandemic controller gave that order.
“We were also faced with challenges whether to let the Hunters players go when the season was cancelled.
“However thanks to SP Brewery and our partners, we still managed to keep all players on the pay roll while they were playing Digicel Cup and up the till pre-season.
“We knew that the 2021 World Cup would have been a disaster if we didn’t continue to engage with or players.”
Tsaka said the Hunters had 11 new players and 17 returning players from last year.
“We are proud and we acknowledge the sacrifice these players are willing to make for the jersey, their families, provinces and the country as they relocate to Gold Coast for the 2021 season.”