What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 GF | PREMIERS - Storm 26-20 Panthers @ ANZ

Grand Final: Panthers v Storm

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fittler's comment that Cleary scored a big game player "try" against 11 men when the game was over was an all time classic.

I'll agree it's bad but it still doesn't top Braith Anasta's comment about Freddy Lussick for the Roosters in the Roosters v Wests Tigers game from Round 16 this year.

6 mins or so from full time in the match he says "Lussick on the field and about to get his first touch in the NRL". Only problem was, Lussick had been on the field for the previous 5 minutes, had already made at least one run with the ball, had made a number of passes from dummy half, and racked up a few tackles.

At least Fittler's declaration that Cleary had scored a try in a big game was accurate.

Canard

Immortal
I'll agree it's bad but it still doesn't top Braith Anasta's comment about Freddy Lussick for the Roosters in the Roosters v Wests Tigers game from Round 16 this year.

6 mins or so from full time in the match he says "Lussick on the field and about to get his first touch in the NRL". Only problem was, Lussick had been on the field for the previous 5 minutes, had already made at least one run with the ball, had made a number of passes from dummy half, and racked up a few tackles.

At least Fittler's declaration that Cleary had scored a try in a big game was accurate.

He implied that the act of scoring was proof that he was a "big match" player, after having the most tepid GF performance from a Dally M (positional) winner in Decades.

It's was ridiculously dishonest comment.

Last edited:
It just goes to show how mentally piss weak Cleary is... He misses out on the Dally M (in what some might say as controversial), and his confidence is shattered so he goes MIA for 90% of the grand final...
well thats my theory on it anyway.
Dont know what was wrong with Kikau though, he was rested and shoulda had the motive of going out there and having a stormer... instead he easily plays one of his worst games of footy ever.... maybe trying too hard? who knows.

Vee

First Grade
He really struggled chasing Paps to the line and gave up the chase as others passed him.

Seemed to be limping as he slowed, almost like he'd done a hammy.

Anyone?

no name

Coach
This is awesome
Lol, I didn’t quite articulate it properly.
I think it’s a harsh call as May’s foot/leg didn’t make contact with Olam.
He stretched his leg out to block Olam from putting the ball down and Olam fumbled it as a result.
I don’t reckon it was a kick, more May placing a part of his body (his leg) in the way.

He stretched his leg out to block Olam from putting the ball down and Olam fumbled it as a result.
I don’t reckon it was a kick, more May placing a part of his body (his leg) in the way.

It was dangerous and a bad read. Wreaked of panic and made a bad situation worser

Not grubby or Cameron Smith like. I think he’s a fair stock player too.

Just summed up that first half and maybe the whole smug year. He got there, but blew it.

They should make a trophy out of it.

Last edited:

Xcalibre

Juniors
He’s turned Brenko Lee into an origin player. That says a lot

How the hell has he? Bellamy is the best coach in the modern era, but Brenko is still not even first grade standard, let alone origin. As good as Bellamy is, not every one of his protégés becomes a star.

My guess is that Ivan decided to keep the game down low when his charges needed serious intervention to prepare them for the onslaught.

You’d be tempted not to change too much on a winning streak, a Minor tweak etc, and I don’t blame him for a conservative approach, but it was the wrong call.

At any rate, In my book, 12 nil down in a gf, you throw away your play book and start issuing instructions to suit the game unfolding in front of you.

lockyno1

Post Whore

Both of which you can't do, use your body to try and stop the try not your feet. Clear penalty try.

Vee

First Grade
How the hell has he? Bellamy is the best coach in the modern era, but Brenko is still not even first grade standard, let alone origin. As good as Bellamy is, not every one of his protégés becomes a star.
We don't have much to pick from.

Vee

First Grade
Anyone seen Annesley's explanation of Chiddy's call? I looked on nrl.com but couldn't find it.

Last edited:

no name

Coach
Both of which you can't do, use your body to try and stop the try not your feet. Clear penalty try.
As I said, I don’t think he used his foot, he used his leg (which is part of your body btw). Also his leg didn’t make contact with Olam, Olam placed the ball into May’s leg.
I’m not fussed as the Panthers were outplayed anyway, just thought it was a harsh call.
Sutton and Chiddy made some pretty ordinary calls both ways during the game.

Latest posts