What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves 2021

redv13

Bench
We have wasted enough time and money on Norman and Hunt. If we can off-load them, then do it asap. If we can't off-load them then Griffin will select on form in the off-season.
I love your energy and passion possm especially in regards to our halves but I honestly can’t see either going anywhere. Maybe they can sweet talk Kevvie into swapping Norman for Joey O or TPJ??

George Sancti

Juniors
I believe Ben Hunt is a god player and still has something to offer. Unfortunately Cory Norman was at his peak six years ago, and is now on a sharp decline. If we cannot unload Norman (and I would be happy to receive $350K), I hope Anthony Griffin sends Norman to Canterbury Cup to be used as a backup only.

I expect that both Clune and Sullivan will be paired with Hunt during the trials and the one that produces the best combination will be selected with Hunt for round 1.

Crush

Coach
I dint think there should be any time periods allocated for any of the existing senior players and the only lenience should be for newbies and young players transitioning.

If Hunt can’t show good form within 2 games then why persist for 6 and potentially blow the season?

Same goes for Norman, Sims, Vaughan, Dufty as they have been around the system for long enough to put their best game on show from the get go.

If they aren’t feeling motivated now then there will be no helping them and they won’t help us.

The age of entitlement and incumbency should well and truly be over.
Yeah I hear you but you don't want to create an environment where players are dropped on 1 or 2 bad games and there is constant chopping and changing. Look at the tigers, Madge was ruthless this year and it was a player merry-go-round. It didn't work.
Similar to test batsmen selection. They need to know that they won't be dropped for one non-score.
BUT, what we have seen from Mary over the years has been appalling. His pick and stick with underperforming players was excruciating to watch.
Lafai and Aitken.
Hunt and Norman.
Just to name a couple.
So for me, Hunt gets 6 weeks next year. Every game must be an 8 or 9 out of 10 or he's gone.

Old Timer

Coach
Yeah I hear you but you don't want to create an environment where players are dropped on 1 or 2 bad games and there is constant chopping and changing. Look at the tigers, Madge was ruthless this year and it was a player merry-go-round. It didn't work.
Similar to test batsmen selection. They need to know that they won't be dropped for one non-score.
BUT, what we have seen from Mary over the years has been appalling. His pick and stick with underperforming players was excruciating to watch.
Lafai and Aitken.
Hunt and Norman.
Just to name a couple.
So for me, Hunt gets 6 weeks next year. Every game must be an 8 or 9 out of 10 or he's gone.
Well let's hope for all our sakes that improvement is very much evidenced as of the CC.

If not I might need you to unravel me from the foetal position that I use as my security blanket.

SBD82

Coach
Lafai and Aitken.
Hunt and Norman.
Just to name a couple.
I’d play Hunt at 14, but I think you’re 100% correct that if he is picked at 7 he needs to stay there for an extended period.

Training an entire off season in a position and then moving the player after one or two games is moronic. It’s straight out of the Mary book of coaching (see Mann, Lomax).

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Griffin needs to remember that he's not dealing with the young, bursting with raw talent version of Corey Norman any more.

He now has an immature, lazy, almost 30 year old who has proven to be toxic in every club environment he's ever stepped foot into and hasn't kicked on to be a great player. Why should he deserve another chance just because he's under a new coach?

George Sancti

Juniors
Hunt and Sullivan for me.Young Sullivan will grow an extra leg and maybe his enthusiasm will rub off on Hunt.

I think Sullivan has the potential to be something special. I am just concerned that if he is rushed into first grade one, or even a half a season too early, he may suffer physically or lose confidence. Especially if he is sorted out by one of the more aggressive forward packs and does not have the necessary backup.

Crush

Coach
Griffin needs to remember that he's not dealing with the young, bursting with raw talent version of Corey Norman any more.

He now has an immature, lazy, almost 30 year old who has proven to be toxic in every club environment he's ever stepped foot into and hasn't kicked on to be a great player. Why should he deserve another chance just because he's under a new coach?
100% this.
The game has evolved and passed him by now I reckon. Only so far a bit of raw talent can take you.
Now he is slow. I dont just mean off the mark and running in a straight line but slow with his plays. The ball goes to Norman and his feet appear to be in quicksand, his hands slow and he looks lost.
Hes done from what I can see.

Crush

Coach
I’d play Hunt at 14, but I think you’re 100% correct that if he is picked at 7 he needs to stay there for an extended period.

Training an entire off season in a position and then moving the player after one or two games is moronic. It’s straight out of the Mary book of coaching (see Mann, Lomax).
With Hunt at 14 are you thinking Clune and Sullivan?

Kylez3

Juniors
Any team with Corey Norman in it is destined to fail miserably. Similarly, any team with the current version of Ben Hunt at halfback will do nothing. It's a depressing situation but I've accepted it and so should all of you.

Sullivan is a great talent but should not be rushed into 1st grade.

SBD82

Coach
With Hunt at 14 are you thinking Clune and Sullivan?
Yeah. It’s not ideal given their lack of experience, but that’s the way I’d go. We aren’t winning a comp with Hunt or Norman in the halves. I don’t see a reason to persist with them.

I’d be inclined to play one of them on the ball at all times. Throw out the left/right halves pairing and play like the panthers or Souths, where there is always a half giving the option for fast width or pushing up if the 9 runs. Tell Hunt and McInnes that they are the generals of the team, and they need to engage the markers on every play.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

I swear I had a similar performance review at some point in my career..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yeah. It’s not ideal given their lack of experience, but that’s the way I’d go. We aren’t winning a comp with Hunt or Norman in the halves. I don’t see a reason to persist with them.

I’d be inclined to play one of them on the ball at all times. Throw out the left/right halves pairing and play like the panthers or Souths, where there is always a half giving the option for fast width or pushing up if the 9 runs. Tell Hunt and McInnes that they are the generals of the team, and they need to engage the markers on every play.
This is why it’s so intriguing who we go with. Because I don’t see us signing Hunt or Norman after their deals expire and if they won’t win us a comp in the 1-2 years they have left respectively do we persist with them or look to the future? I will give both the benefit of the doubt of a good off season, a new game plan and hopefully a better pack but if not much changes in 6-8 weeks I’m willing to wait out a rebuild.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Any team with Corey Norman in it is destined to fail miserably. Similarly, any team with the current version of Ben Hunt at halfback will do nothing. It's a depressing situation but I've accepted it and so should all of you.

Sullivan is a great talent but should not be rushed into 1st grade.
I agree, he looked good vs Melbourne reserves but for his and our sake I think a good stint in CC will do him good. If he starts dominating that arena and Hunt or Norman fail to fire he’s well and truly nil.

Old Timer

Coach
Our most highly paid player on the bench and the next highest paid in reserve grade? Surely not.
If they are still with us and train / play poorly that’s exactly where they should be.

No point in picking them on the basis of $$$$ they earn and there is plenty of evidence to say why that is.

Walpole

Juniors
Hunt at 7 and Sullivan at 6 for mine. Norman in reserve grade, Clune as first choice backup. Hopefully, whatever way we go the chosen combination will get a game or two in the pre-season to build some sort of combination

Latest posts